Mesmer speed vs +25% passive signet classes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zidane.6078

Zidane.6078

So after the patch of the “so called more reliable swiftness patch” I group up with my buddy who was working on his Alt ranger. One of his equiped utility slots happened to be the +25% passive movement speed signet, I equiped the updated Signet of Inspiration hoping to see some improvement but reliablity just isn’t there. Every ten seconds there is a 1:8 chance to get swiftness for 10s, don’t get me wrong the buffs being applied while out of combat was a great change but even with a focus on and sig of inspiration I just couldn’t keep up with him in the open world. So something needs to change. I feel that Signet of Inspiration should only apply swiftness while outside of battle and once combat has been started it should give one of the 7 other buffs every ten seconds this would keep Mesmer speed while roaming up with everyone else or just change the signet all together and give it the passive +25% speed + the one buff every 10s removing the swiftness as one of those options to keep it from being wildly OP.

In short the +25% passives vs what mesmers currently have for speed isn’t cutting it and something needs to change and change fast as the current balance is nowhere in check.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vendris.4201

Vendris.4201

If you want reliable swiftness you still need to either use a focus or rune a full set of runes of the centaur unfortunately.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Swiftness should be an additional procc that can happen 50% of the time as a second boon. In fights I think, ah crap, got swiftness, out of fight I think ah crap, not swiftness.

Just seperate it and give it fair % for proccing.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bellocchi.4593

Bellocchi.4593

JonPeters, please respond.

in Mesmer

Zidane.6078

If you want reliable swiftness you still need to either use a focus or rune a full set of runes of the centaur unfortunately.

As stated in my post even using a focus the 12s every 25s just doesnt cut it. Even if you trait 20 into Inspiritation to grab the reduce focus skills by 20% you still have 8s of no speed if you dont happen to proc a swiftness off the 1 in 8 chance on Sig.

If you want pretty much 100% swiftness you need to trait 20 in Inspiration, and go 2/2/2 on Rune of Air, Pact, Speed that will put your swiftness uptime at 19.2s with a 20s cooldown but doing that you lose out on what other class gain with using normal full rune or 3/3 4/2 rune sets.

(edited by Zidane.6078)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Classes are not supposed to have even or even comparable speed, tbh.

I mean this mostly as a “Why did you do the buffs in this patch anyhow?!”-comment.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

Damn I envy that 25% swiftness my necro has. When I return to my main toon, mesmer, I sigh. Slowest profession in the game unless you waste 6 lame runes or forced to use an off-hand. Either, nerf the passive swiftness of others, or give us a way to have it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Doing stuff with friends is starting to turn into a real unfun chore. I was trying to do dungeons with folks and invariably I was the jerk who was lagging behind. I kept getting yelled at, and at one point offered to just leave because I was slowing everyone down.

I don’t want to DO dungeons anymore, and yet I have to go in there for tokens for my legendary.

WvW is going to be a nightmare. How am I going to be able to keep up with my friends? The whole maps were designed around running long distances.

If you’re trying to quietly make us reroll, I’ll just quit, okay? This ISN"T FUN anymore.

And before people kitten about ‘quitting’, I’m one of those players who spends a lot in the cash shop and was planning on spending more, but not unless this gets fixed.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

We are supposed to be the second fastest class after thief in ANet’s own words. Presently, we are seventh or eighth.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

No, the second most mobile. That’s not at all the same as being the fastest.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Sylv.5324

I don’t mind our in-combat mobility. What I have a problem with is OUT of combat mobility. We’re designed to lag behind everyone else and that results in people being kitten.

That is not fun!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

The problem is more that runspeed (for out of combat purposes) seems to be an accepted commodity. That’s wrong in the first place.

It’d be ok if 1 class had a +25% out of combat speed, and one more +10%, rest runs at default. Fine!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

Low mobility is a mesmer weakness, deal with it. Can’t have everything of the cake.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Centaur runes. The 165 power is decent even if the rest does pretty much nothing, but other runes bring a marginal increase in DPS. A bit more crit, a bit more damage, nothing that will show outside five minute fights.

We have no DPS checks and no DPS meters, so slot Centaur. No more being left behind by friends.

in Mesmer

Zidane.6078

Centaur runes. The 165 power is decent even if the rest does pretty much nothing, but other runes bring a marginal increase in DPS. A bit more crit, a bit more damage, nothing that will show outside five minute fights.

We have no DPS checks and no DPS meters, so slot Centaur. No more being left behind by friends.

Even by using centaur runes you either have to waste your heal ever time its off cooldown to keep a swiftness up + focus 4 only lasting 14.4s 25s cooldown or if traited 20s cooldown so if you waste the runes with centaurs you could keep +33% up 100% of the time rotating between focus 4 and healing skill but why should we have to use centaur runes and trait into a specific line just to keep up with everyone that has a passive +25% at the cost of 1 utility.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jairyn.6913

Jairyn.6913

Change Compounding Celerity to “Celeritous Signets: equipped signets give a passive 25% movement speed increase in addition to their standard effect” or “Mantric Celerity: increase movement speed by 5% for each active mantra” or similar.

(edited by Jairyn.6913)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

Not every class can have good access to swiftness / passive movespeed. That’s why classes are different. You gotta deal with it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

We are supposed to be the second fastest class after thief in ANet’s own words. Presently, we are seventh or eighth.

Eight. Dead eight.

In combat the lack of speed is a bother because we have no reliable immobilize (sword 3 never seems to actually FUNCTION anymore). We can cripple and hopefully keep up, and our phantasms can chase (and mostly explode too far to hit the target who has faster movement speed, yay). If you fixed Sword 3, I’d be happy as a clam.

Out of combat there is no real reason to deny us movement speed aside from limiting the range we can set portals. It’s just an annoyance. Maybe make signet only proc haste out of combat, and rest of the boons in combat?

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

(edited by kerona.3465)

in Mesmer

Zidane.6078

Not every class can have good access to swiftness / passive movespeed. That’s why classes are different. You gotta deal with it.

so 7 out of 8 classes can have +25% passives or near 100% +33% runspeed but Mesmers.

Thats the problem is that EVERY Class EXCEPT Mesmers have the ability to have a constant +25-33% Movement speed with no drawbacks.

in Mesmer

Sylv.5324

Low mobility is a mesmer weakness, deal with it. Can’t have everything of the cake.

I shouldn’t have to deal with people raging in dungeons or WvW because I fall behind, and yet I do. That is not what I signed up for.

Being slow is not as annoying as other people being impatient that you are slow.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Only problem with that is that the mesmer was advertised as one if the most mobile classes. I chose this class over thief largely because it was supposed to have mobility, stealth, and long range magical firepower (GS). The cool utilities are a nice bonus that tipped the scales, but right now, none of my most desired features are working properly right now. The stealth and GS bugs I can work around, but the lack of mobility is killing me.

I’m a full-time worker and father that doesn’t have time to roll another 80 in few weeks everytime something shifts. I feel jipped.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Supervillain.8617

Supervillain.8617

The only problem I have with the “more reliable swiftness” statement is that it’s entirely untrue. Sure, Temporal Curtain swiftness lasts longer, but it still doesn’t stack with preexisting swiftness boons. Lay down the curtain, but before you cross it, Signet of Inspiration gives you swiftness, making Temporal Curtain useless and wasting a recharge, instead of giving you a significant duration.

Traited 20 into inspiration, with the focus trait, (edit: and Signet of Midnight) I can get 15.5 seconds of swiftness from Temporal Curtain every 20 seconds, but if I have even a fraction of a second of swiftness remaining when I cross it, I miss out on it. Other classes’ ground-targeted swiftness boons don’t have this issue.

Even with 100% uptime calculations on Temporal Curtain (Duration >= recharge) it’s still not more reliable, as we have to wait for the boon to expire before attempting to reapply.

(edited by Supervillain.8617)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Are you the new game designer at ANet? Good.

How do I deal with it in PvE, when my group is constantly half the dungeon ahead of me? Tell them to wait – great way to deal with an imbalance.

How do I deal with it in Wv3, when my group is moving faster than me – as does the enemy – which ruins group play.

I run a full Centaur set and focus off-hand, just to be on par with most other classes passive standards. This kills variaty, this cannot be what a game designer wants…

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Kaiyan, my answer if I were a dev would be to roll back on the +25% change for everyone, and in fact, only have Thieves have a +passiverunspeed signet, with +25%.

Then, reconsider how many classes have access to how much Swiftness.

In other words, I’d remove an easy 75%+ of all run speed all classes have access to.

And then (and only then!) take a look at whether people are now too slow. If yes, buff the out-of-combat speed buff.

in Mesmer

Sylv.5324

Low mobility was never meant to be a Mesmer weakness anyway. Read the class description.

Which goes for the folks working on skills too, btw.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

in Mesmer

Posted by: pinkbunnies.4620

pinkbunnies.4620

Does anyone use this Compounding Celerity? and how well does it work?

in Mesmer

Posted by: RinKyu.4317

RinKyu.4317

Does anyone use this Compounding Celerity? and how well does it work?

It’s pretty much a worthless trait. Only gives you a max 15% movement speed when you have 3 illusions up and only affects running straight forward.

in Mesmer

Sylv.5324

No good for keeping up with your friends, since it has to be used in combat.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

I think and im pretty sure about this statement that everyone is trying to say that we are the only class that has to spec into a certain trait tree and change our whole rune set up just to be on par with other classes movement speed its really sad tbh because no matter how much we try we still lag behind our group whether it be pve or spvp or WvW really doesnt matter eithier or we are still the underdog in the swiftness department and now that necro, ranger, and even the perma swiftness ele has a passive 25% movement speed yea we are definitely the last one in the pack xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: xizod.9513

xizod.9513

Where is the reliable swiftness? I’m still stuck in rune of centaur.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Low mobility was never meant to be a Mesmer weakness anyway. Read the class description.

As I’ve said before, from their class descriptions Anet has no idea how their classes actually behave. Mesmer has crap mobility if you look at it in terms of movement rate.
Warrior is supposed to be crap at range yet it has access to two full adrenaline killshots. >.>

Yeah, they seem like they have no idea what’s going on.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: knight.8926

knight.8926

every class and I mean every class just runs when thyre about to die while I just jog there trying to catch em. It’s ridiculous that they get a passive while we work our azz of and watch em get away

in Mesmer

Posted by: psykles.1573

psykles.1573

As I’ve said before, from their class descriptions Anet has no idea how their classes actually behave. Mesmer has crap mobility if you look at it in terms of movement rate.
Warrior is supposed to be crap at range yet it has access to two full adrenaline killshots. >.>

Yeah, they seem like they have no idea what’s going on.

Crap mobility ?

I run around autoattacking people to death with my sword.
Not greatsword….. SWORD.
There’s a trait which gives us a movement increase for each active illusion.
When combined with sword #3 or blink, it makes it practically impossible for people to run away.
Eventually you will catch them and kill them.

Could you imagine a greatsword mesmer in spvp with 25% movement increase and 1200 range on their insanely OP auto-attack (with the right sigil) and 9k shatters ?

People won’t even have enough time to regen their vigor to evade shatters with a movement speed increase like that. Also, clones will run at you before you even have a chance to think or react.

I guess it’s just not good enough though until there’s nothing but 8v8 mesmers in every single spvp game because that is the true definition of fun, am I right ?

If you want a movement speed increase, either trait for it, or use a focus imo.

There’s a reason why it’s like that and I’ll break it down for you now:
We would be sickeningly more OP than we already are if we were to have a passive 25% speed increase that didn’t require a trait or weapon skill.

I thought it was impossible for our class to get any more faceroll then I came across this thread.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

We would be sickeningly more OP than we already are if we were to have a passive 25% speed increase that didn’t require a trait or weapon skill..

Since when mesmers have free utility slots not occupied with feedback, null field, portal, decoy, blink, domination, thievery, mirrors, etc?

in Mesmer

psykles.1573

Blink is a teleport.
If I could teleport to places, I sure wouldn’t be walking or running there.
If humanity invented teleporting, we would still complain about having to teleport there.
Nothing is ever good enough.

We can use focus to get a speed increase.
Haven’t you ever swapped weapons out just for 1 thing before ?
Only when I think it’s 100% safe, I swap pistol to focus for the speed increase and swap back to pistol straight away.
That’s a 33% speed increase while I have pistol equippped.
33% speed increase with a long range 3 second stun/interrupt, medium range cripple/immobilize with sword #3… It’s pretty overpowered already as it is.
It’s not like the option isn’t there…
People just need to get a bit creative.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jsvkkie.2037

Jsvkkie.2037

Blink is a teleport.
If I could teleport to places, I sure wouldn’t be walking or running there.
If humanity invented teleporting, we would still complain about having to teleport there.
Nothing is ever good enough.

Only when I think it’s 100% safe, I swap pistol to focus for the speed increase and swap back to pistol straight away.
33% speed increase with a long range 3 second stun/interrupt, medium range cripple/immobilize with sword #3… It’s pretty overpowered already as it is.

Here lies a view inconsistencies.
the blink is a 30 second cooldown, and teleports 900 range, you cannot teleport to higher levels of altitude and in some cases not to lower level altitudes. the speed on focus is very “bad” its the only reliable speed buff we have, not all mesmers use the weapon and 12 seconds for a 20 cooldown is not really reliable, since the skill is not only used for speed buff, but also interrupting players during fights, meaning you will not benefit from a speed buff. what you stated, is incorrect. in many cases its one or the other.
What is there not to love about a 25% speed signet?
Areanet made a “promise” and failed to oblige.
from analysing people protesting against it, i gather several reasons:
1. they do not own a mesmer or a lvl 80 mesmer.
2. they wish mesmers not to be fast because they are a different profession, making them strong will make theirs weak (thats what they believe)
there are many more reasons, i just cant pinpoint how this community thinks.

Sword #3 is a 600 range, which will miss most of the time when people are running with a 25% speed signet.
Please feel free to leave CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

“Free and Paid tournaments now have a new build-locking feature. When the countdown timer completes, players will no longer be able to change weapons, armor, skills, or traits until the match is over. This will prevent players from abusing build-swapping between fights.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: halfsquelch.3465

halfsquelch.3465

I personally think the Mesmer has enough speed as it is, between Temporal Curtain and Blink I am able stay in the front of my guild on Wv3. The only problem I have with it is that Temporal Curtain does not stack with other speed boosts if you have one on you. And if you are worried about people running back and forth in the curtain just make it so you can only boost once off each curtain… but PLEASE make it so it can stack with other speed boots.

Sea of Sorrows – FIST

in Mesmer

Jsvkkie.2037

I personally think the Mesmer has enough speed as it is, between Temporal Curtain and Blink I am able stay in the front of my guild on Wv3. The only problem I have with it is that Temporal Curtain does not stack with other speed boosts if you have one on you. And if you are worried about people running back and forth in the curtain just make it so you can only boost once off each curtain… but PLEASE make it so it can stack with other speed boots.

This may be so in your experience, but for me i couldnt catch up, and now with the new signets,, ill fall behind more likely. its all up to anet, they did make a promise for viable speedbuffs, and it didnt come, they didnt even fix the temporal curtain.
i dont have any experience yet with the new signets on other classes, and im sure you dont have either, not enough to make out if its a real big issue that the other classes are much faster now.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gathbard.6904

Gathbard.6904

I finally found a perma-swiftness build without giving up all my dps (still took a big hit).
It’s fine for pve/dungeon running, haven’t checked it in high lvl fractals or WvW tho’.
Damage in pvp is gonna be meh…we’ll see with some armor variations.

4 Rune of altruism + 2 runes of water + 30 points in the Chaos line + 20 in Inspiration (warden’s feedback) nets me a 20 seconds swiftness on a 20 seconds cd.

(edited by Gathbard.6904)

in Mesmer

Jsvkkie.2037

I finally found a perma-swiftness build without giving up all my dps (still took a big hit).
It’s fine for pve/dungeon running, haven’t checked it in high lvl fractals or WvW tho’.
Damage in pvp is gonna be meh…we’ll see with some armor variations.

4 Rune of altruism + 2 runes of water + 30 points in the Chaos line + 20 in Inspiration (warden’s feedback) nets me a 20 seconds swiftness on a 20 seconds cd.

too bad its no good for all the mesmers. as a single signet can fix if they make it a 25% speed signet.
im running full berserker with 6 runes of divinity and 30-30-0-0-10

in Mesmer

Posted by: halfsquelch.3465

halfsquelch.3465

I however would not mind a passive +5 to +10% speed buff, it would make it so I do not have to equip my Rune of the Traveler set every time I do a jumping puzzle for the +5% passive speed.

Sea of Sorrows – FIST

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

too bad its no good for all the mesmers. as a single signet can fix if they make it a 25% speed signet.

But which signet would you change? Realistically I could only see Signet of Midnight, the other three see frequent use and there will be people minding it if they change them functionally.

in Mesmer

Jsvkkie.2037

But which signet would you change? Realistically I could only see Signet of Midnight, the other three see frequent use and there will be people minding it if they change them functionally.

im blink, decoy, and mantra for condition removal.
making mantras last 3x and 4% more dmg per active mantra. while lvling i replace decoy for another mantra to get another 4%
signet of inspiration is too unreliable for me to use, i used it for a few days but it isnt gonna cut it.

in Mesmer

psykles.1573

The fact that our 9k shatters will be almost unavoidable and will cause everyone to reroll mesmers making spvp boring.
Every day I get into, on average, 2 games consisting of 10 mesmers.
What is there to love about that ?

Now imagine if we became 25% faster and clones ripped across the screen.
We’d be the gods of gods.

Some are asking for it in combat, some want it only out of combat.
Others want it “only out of combat but it would help so much in combat”
Who knows…

Sword #3 is a 600 range, which will miss most of the time when people are running with a 25% speed signet.

If I really want to catch that person, I’ll use blink then sword 3 and they’re immobilised.
Is that constructive enough ?
Use your imagination and make the class come to life.
If you don’t want to catch someone, then don’t use the tools that we already have.

Why should we become even more faceroll than we already are ?
Do you not like this game enough to want people to continue playing it by having a diversity of classes and situations to react to ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

You can have +speed signet, if my Ele gets to have Portal.

in Mesmer

Jsvkkie.2037

You can have +speed signet, if my Ele gets to have Portal.

ur not in the position to bargain

in Mesmer

Jsvkkie.2037

The fact that our 9k shatters will be almost unavoidable and will cause everyone to reroll mesmers making spvp boring.

Who knows…

If I really want to catch that person, I’ll use blink then sword 3 and they’re immobilised.
If you don’t want to catch someone, then don’t use the tools that we already have.

Do you not like this game enough to want people to continue playing it by having a diversity of classes and situations to react to ?

blink doesnt work anymore when ur in combat and they arent, if its a 2v1, to catch one, and there arent many mesmers in pvp. and why are u always in pvp? endgame content is dungeons and wvw

in Mesmer

psykles.1573

Who knows…

blink doesnt work anymore when ur in combat and they arent, if its a 2v1, to catch one, and there arent many mesmers in pvp. and why are u always in pvp? endgame content is dungeons and wvw

I’ve been using blink all day with no problem (in spvp). Countless times, 0 problems.
There are TONS of mesmers in pvp, sometimes 10 in a game, average 3-4 per game.
I’m always in pvp because I enjoy it, no repair bill, free respecs to try everything out.
Endgame content is whatever you make of it.

25% passive speed increase in combat for mesmers is a bad idea.

It’s 4:30am. I’m going to sleep now and probably never coming back to this thread again.
Enjoy.

in Mesmer

Jsvkkie.2037

Who knows…

I’ve been using blink all day with no problem (in spvp). Countless times, 0 problems.
There are TONS of mesmers in pvp, sometimes 10 in a game, average 3-4 per game.
I’m always in pvp because I enjoy it, no repair bill, free respecs to try everything out.
Endgame content is whatever you make of it.

25% passive speed increase in combat for mesmers is a bad idea.

It’s 4:30am. I’m going to sleep now and probably never coming back to this thread again.
Enjoy.

Thank goodness ur off, i say mesmers need the speed, you a thickhead who only play sPvp cant have a clear view.

Let JonPeters decide.