Mesmer tips & tricks?

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: JESPER.5610

JESPER.5610

Hey guys, im playing for some time but I was using only warrior and guardian.
Got terribly bored by them and I decided to pick more complex class so I made a mesmer. Im lvl 10 atm but wanted to ask for some mesmer tips and tricks if there are any, just to simplify the mesmers life abit. Iv heard that solo leveling may be kinda harsh with mesmer but well, we’ll see.
Also if anyone would give me any build for easy leveling and wvw ill appreciate.
Atm running with GS/sword+focus.
Thanks in advance.

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

Hi, if you like to listen instead of read, Sitting on a Couch has a mesmer focused podcast that covers lots of tips and tricks, you can find it here: http://www.sittingonacouch.com/gaming

Also keep an eye out for Chaos Archangels all inclusive Mesmer guide that I believe is being released in a week or so.
:)

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

It really depends on the kind of game style you want, as this will vary on what your build will be ALOT. Mesmer has alot of options for builds from Shatter, Phantasm, Condition, Burst.

The best thing you can do, Go into The Mists in there you will have access to ALL skills, Utilities as well as all Trait points unlocked. In here you can play around with all the weapons and see what you prefer.

Personally my build is a mash up of Bunker, Condition, Shatter and Phantasm. I run using a Staff and Scepter/Torch combo. I have taken Mirror Image, Decoy and Feedback(best skill in game! lol) My elite (i personally think they all kinda suck) is Mass Invisibility

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Hi, if you like to listen instead of read, Sitting on a Couch has a mesmer focused podcast that covers lots of tips and tricks, you can find it here: http://www.sittingonacouch.com/gaming

Also keep an eye out for Chaos Archangels all inclusive Mesmer guide that I believe is being released in a week or so.
:)

Personally i dont really like guides. I have seen some that have been great that simply just go on about the traits, skills and weapons and mention where they could be useful and such which is great and then others i have seen where they are more focused on how they play and speak only from that point of view and not really show just how versatile the class can be.

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Personally i dont really like guides.

Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I have seen some that have been great…

wat

(edited by Pyroatheist.9031)

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Personally i dont really like guides.

Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I have seen some that have been great…

wat

if you read the rest of you you would have understood. The ones that explain about skills and abilities and various situations they could be useful are examples of GOOD ones. Then you get the BAD ones that just explain them in the way the user uses the skill and ability which can make some people think thats the ONLY way to use them.

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Weird, when i read guides or videos I just see a person’s viewpoint and I use their ideas to add to my own.

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Weird, when i read guides or videos I just see a person’s viewpoint and I use their ideas to add to my own.

Depends on the video.

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

Depends on the video.

Podcast isn’t a video, and Chaos Archangels project involves most of the community (if you check out his post you will see he has asked for any contribution, in no way am I saying its gospel, rather
more info > less info

Its up to you what you do with the info

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I hear you. At the start of any game info about any class are very good as game get old you’ll get 90% trash on boards and guides. Mainly I think the good players either left or don’t care to post any more.
As there are many ways to play mesmer so there aren’t many general tips. I played around with many builds one thing I found that applies to all builds is that Stealth rules. Staff too good to pass up and Centaur runes too useful to pass up.

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

I’d take a look at the master build thread (stickied). Osicat has some great instructional videos that show several techniques for shattering and mobility. They are sort of advanced, but it teaches you some of what is possible. I’d take a look at each and get a sense of what you want – disposable aoe damage – then go with shatter. Amazing duelist, go with phantasm. Party support – look at the chaos maestro thread for ideas. Once you get a sense for what is out there, you can start to decide what to go with.

If you are a brand new mesmer – and going the pve route. You will also have a tough time of it until lvl 40 or so. I’d do a search for lvling guides and advice, though honestly, until lvl 40, mesmer feels underpowered….it all changes later.

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

Like others have said, take a look around. The Mesmer community as a whole is extremely helpful. I’d recommend starting by finding a build that fits your playstyle (shatter, phantasm, conditions, etc depending on pvp, wvw, or pve). There are tons of builds people have put out there, and this should get you started thinking about how you play Mesmer.

From there tweak skills/utilities/gear/sigils/runes/food as you find yourself enjoying certain things or tricks. I find I learn the most about the class by reading about what someone else has done, trying it myself and adapting it to how I play. There’s just too many things to list, and nothing can compare to experience playing the class.

Now if you’re looking for a general guide, as Kyla mentioned, ChaosArchangel’s guide is a great place to start. It’s essentially just a hub of things that others have contributed, so it’s a pretty well rounded source of information to get started from.

All that said, if you have any specific questions, don’t be shy, we love helping mesmers both new and experienced

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

Mesmer tips & tricks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Mesmer is actually not very complex. It may seem complex at first, but overall it’s a very easy class to play.

The most challenging build to play imho is shatters with a 1H sword. It requires some skill to dance in-and-out, time the immobilize, and maximize the amount of shatters that hit. But even this becomes pretty easy with practice (it’s mostly memorizing skill patterns and watching you foe).

I would search for builds in the area you want to focus on (PvE, WvW, or PvP) and then give them a try in the mists. Hot-join PvP is a great way to evaluate your build and improve your play skills.

Lastly, it takes time to learn a profession. Don’t expect to be good at a new build until you’ve played it a while.

EDIT: You will learn stuff watching other people play in the videos and guides. I learned a trick using Staff-2 + Blink while stomping in WvW that I never would have thought of on my own.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”