Mesmerized: Theorycrafting the Numbers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bas.7406

Bas.7406

Welcome to Mesmerized, our Mesmer only podcast!

This week our two hosts, Kylia Deprigen and Pyroatheist break down numbers like you’ve never seen number crunching before! They delve into some of the most talked about statistics for mesmers and give you an insight into design and testing of making a build.

http://sittingonacouch.com/the-gw2-mesmer-podcast-mesmerized-theorycrafting-mesmer-numbers/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Very, very useful. Thanks a lot.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

Very, very useful. Thanks a lot.

We do our best

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Nicely done.

I’m going to have to disagree on “Mesmer has the most active defenses” though :-P

Definitely up there, but when I’m on my Ranger, I have several built in evades and blocks on my weapons ;-)

Probably why I love both these classes.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: pahldus.1678

pahldus.1678

Very informative, and anyone nearing end game and trying to decide what way to equip their mesmer for end game should really listen to it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Another great podcast – thanks so much!

I’m the fool who was trying a high-vitality and low-toughness build… Yeah, thanks for clearing up that madness

Anyway, I made a build (possibly new…) based on the info in your podcast. I’d love feedback on its viability in WvW

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Mesmerized-inspired-build-need-feedback

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thorment.7945

Thorment.7945

There’s a couple of misconceptions I found on the podcast.

First, boons are not transferred into your phantasms, so fury-increased crit chance does not stack with phantasm’s fury boons.
(source http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/63947-which-stats-transfer-to-my-phantasms-and-illusions/)

The only stat that have real diminishing returns in PVE gear is crit damage.

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/12dmi5/tip_stat_optimization_with_crit_damage.

This is, however, relative to stat-effective itemization for cond/survivability in relation to raw dps. I.e. if you want to lose crit damage to stack on more condition damage or vit/tough. Builds with inherently high cond damge and crit might benefit more by replacing some berserker armor with Rampager on certain pieces for increased bleed/confusion damage which would scale better than crit damage (i.e. shatter cat builds)

http://www.suburbanlion.com/?p=387 can give a relatively good benchmark for Phantasm Coefficients. It also talks a bit more about the Sharp Images trait.

(edited by Thorment.7945)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Karmasutra.9351

Karmasutra.9351

Thank you to Pyro and Kylia for answering my questions on condition damage/condition duration. Also that reddit post thorment posted helped. I was looking at the spread sheet for condition damage/duration and noticed it only goes up to 1300 condition damage, is it a fair assesment that at 1300 condition damage it’s better to start stacking duration to try and reach the 10 second cap? If not, what is the raw number of condition damage we should be aiming for in a confusion build? Is there even a point where there is a diminishing return on condition damage? I know I’m probably just overthinking it for lack of better things to do.

(edited by Karmasutra.9351)

in Mesmer

Posted by: SuburbanLion.8095

SuburbanLion.8095

@Thorment
I’m glad you found my blog helpful, but the information on it is horribly out of date. Things have changed substantially since BWE3 when I put that together. I’ve been meaning to put out a follow up post with more accurate info, but haven’t had the time.

Crit damage does not have have “diminishing returns”, but rather a varying “opportunity cost” — you give up varying amounts of other stats to get critical damage depending on the equipment slot. “Diminishing returns” implies that you get less out of each successive stat point, which is not the case. 1% crit damage gives you 1% crit damage whether you’re starting at 0% or 110%.

Regarding the boon issue, I think the guru post you linked meant to say “boon duration” instead of “boon effects”. I’m pretty sure that Might transfers over to phantasms, since it increases your stats, but I’d need to do more testing to see if Fury works as they described in the podcast.

Edit: Also, the second half of that reddit post you linked has some inaccurate info. Specifically, the part that says “Your DPS is optimal when (1) = (2) = (3)” is completely false.

(edited by SuburbanLion.8095)