Mimic as an Elite Mantra [Suggestion]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Here’s an idea which may seem crazy, but I feel could fix a lot of our diversity problems: Mimic becoming an Elite Mantra, as the title says.

Similar CD, but it can be cast twice [three times if traited] and allow us for some very interesting glamour, phantasm, manipulation, and shatter combos.

Thoughts on this? Worries?

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

We can already use CS with mimic to get off 3 (or for the best players 4) shots of the same skill within a few seconds, being able to cast mimic 3 times in a row would be absolutely OP. Now if it was changed to be like how it was in GW1 where it just copied the skill, including the CD, that you were copying (from my understanding that is how it worked) then it could be better

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

We can already use CS with mimic to get off 3 (or for the best players 4) shots of the same skill within a few seconds, being able to cast mimic 3 times in a row would be absolutely OP. Now if it was changed to be like how it was in GW1 where it just copied the skill, including the CD, that you were copying (from my understanding that is how it worked) then it could be better

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Echo
That was Echo and it would last for a short time (30 seconds). However, there were also energy costs in gw1 and you paid double energy to cast powerful abilities again. In gw2, it’s just CDs. So only short CD abilities could maybe make use of that function from an echo that lasts 30 seconds when most utilities have a longer CD than 30 seconds. It would get further wonky by weapon skills. Think of double casting blurred frenzy or Shield 4. Double cast it, swap to GS and then cast sword 2 again anyway. Or have GS2 copied. Doesn’t matter if you swapped to a defensive weapon, wreck someone with GS2. Without the energy component, echo doesn’t work in gw2.

Making Mimic a mantra wouldn’t be as OP as you might initially think. They could make the base 1 charge and HM +1 it to 2. It won’t stack with CS since CS doesn’t revert mantra stacks. As a Mantra it would also be convenient as an instant discharge which can be used mid cast of another ability. Would also of course be mutually exclusive with other elites and keep the current functionality of only working on utilities. Moa etc or an extra null field (2 if traiting mantras) every 45? seconds. If you can get a skill off 4 times with the current mimic, 3 charges of Mantra of mimic would be the same amount of skills, just a lot more convenient. Mantra discharges also have CDs too. So a CD of 5-10 seconds prevents 1 skill from being spammed 4 times within seconds like the current combo.

I don’t see a problem with it and would welcome the change. However, I’d rather see an elite mantra that recharges the stacks of other mantras. The more mantras you have, the weaker the mantra build gets with all the channeling time. Having a mantra elite that actually benefits mantras would be great.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

No thanks.

Mimic has been changed like 3 or 4 times and it’s in the best shape it’s ever been. Making it elite would do nothing but hinder people who want to use mimic, from taking an actual elite skill.

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

I think leaving Mimic alone but introducing a skill ala https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Echo would be nice, assuming they ever add more non-elite skills.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I personally like the idea. It actually makes more sense to me rather than forgoing a utility to be able to use it twice. However, it would probably have to be more like CS in the sense that it will reset the cooldown of the next utility you use.

But: Assuming not every class is getting additional skills – and we want to be fair, don’t we – which Elite skill would become the new Manipulation skill? Mass Invisibility?

I think leaving Mimic alone but introducing a skill ala https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Echo would be nice, assuming they ever add more non-elite skills.

Mechanically this would be interesting. But do you remember how well this worked back then? It didn’t. Maybe they got new tech. Otherwise: No, thank you!