Mirage is extremely good

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Frostball.9108

Frostball.9108

By this i do not want to imply that the design of the spec is good. They kittened up with the design of some traits and skills, some of them blow. Thats a fair argument and something that probably should be addressed when some of the traits are just flat out unplayable.

What i want to put forward is that mirage is far from underpowered and something id argue to be at least one of the best specializations for now. Mirage definitely doesnt need an all around buff but rather a new look at some of the skills and traits that are underpowered and flawed.

Im not going to go into how some traits like stunbreak on dodge should not exist. They will always come up anyways but to give some perspective, its like daredevil dodge on steroids.

(edited by Frostball.9108)

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Since you don’t explain why I am forced to presume you are wrong and everybody else is right.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

Since you don’t explain why I am forced to presume you are wrong and everybody else is right.

Mirage enables things you normally couldnt do, like stack 20 confusion on enemies with cover conditions without trouble whilst still having good options for survivability.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Refia Montes.3205

Refia Montes.3205

Mirage enables things you normally couldnt do, like stack 20 confusion on enemies with cover conditions without trouble whilst still having good options for survivability.

Except Condi Chrono can do that too. With Moa, CS split condi burst it’s possible.

Mirage DPS HYPE

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

What cover conditions? Torment and bleed? As if we didn’t do that already… Mirage can’t do anything that chrono can’t do except illusion retarget gimmicks.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

Except Condi Chrono can do that too. With Moa, CS split condi burst it’s possible.

I said without trouble. And with chrono youre not going to be able to survive nearly as well.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Refia Montes.3205

I said without trouble. And with chrono youre not going to be able to survive nearly as well.

You would since Shield, WoE and CS exists. Not to mention you run Insp trait line too.

If you think Chrono doesn’t have as much survivability, you’re wrong :P

Mirage DPS HYPE

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tseison.4659

Tseison.4659

Have to agree with Levetty </3 some of us have put in hours into mirage this weekend and as nice as it may seem – it definitely needs some changes done to it before its final release next month.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

What cover conditions? Torment and bleed? As if we didn’t do that already… Mirage can’t do anything that chrono can’t do except illusion retarget gimmicks.

I just wanted to specify so that people dont think you can only do confusion damage and that it would be a one trick. And saying mirage cant do anything that chrono cant is just purely wrong.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

for condi burst we could agree , but clone still dies easily for that happens , and defense from mirage is worse than chrono .

maybe you could link us your build ?

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

for condi burst we could agree , but clone still dies easily for that happens , and defense from mirage is worse than chrono .

Clones dying easily doesnt matter, this is a burst build that doesnt rely on clones being alive for you. The defense for mirage can be upped as well which makes it have more defense and arguably still more damage than chrono. However i think the burst version is much better.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheOneWhoSighs.7513

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

In what scenario are you talking about?

PvE?

sPvP?

WvW roaming?

WvW zergs?

The only scenario I would agree that the weaver would survive easier is that last one, a blob in WvW. All the dodging, stun breaks and movement abilities of the Weaver make it a lot easier to survive in a zerg if you’re caught out.

But I wouldn’t run a weaver in a zerg. It brings nothing to a zerg. It’s incredibly selfish, and is simultaneously missing the killing & finishing potential of a daredevil.

“Unused Development Initiative. We care so much
about your feedback, that we don’t even read it.” ~ Crystal Suzuki

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

You would since Shield, WoE and CS exists. Not to mention you run Insp trait line too.

If you think Chrono doesn’t have as much survivability, you’re wrong :P

Using big cooldowns for one burst —→ no trouble? While on mirage you can burst multiple times and have stronger burst.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

PvE?

sPvP?

WvW roaming?

WvW zergs?

The only scenario I would agree that the weaver would survive easier is that last one, a blob in WvW. All the dodging, stun breaks and movement abilities of the Weaver make it a lot easier to survive in a zerg if you’re caught out.

But I wouldn’t run a weaver in a zerg. It brings nothing to a zerg. It’s incredibly selfish, and simultaneously missing the kill & finishing potential of a daredevil.

Im talking of mirage and specifically spvp since i do not play in other areas of the game.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

PvE?

sPvP?

WvW roaming?

WvW zergs?

But I wouldn’t run a weaver in a zerg. It brings nothing to a zerg. It’s incredibly selfish, and simultaneously missing the kill & finishing potential of a daredevil.

Im talking of mirage and specifically spvp since i do not play in other areas of the game.

Then you’re probably just bad at chrono, to be completely honest.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jace al Thor.6745

Jace al Thor.6745

Clones dying easily doesnt matter, this is a burst build that doesnt rely on clones being alive for you. The defense for mirage can be upped as well which makes it have more defense and arguably still more damage than chrono. However i think the burst version is much better.

It’s a butst build… centered around clone ambush. Clones dying easily DOES matter quite a bit actually. Everything mirage can do I can do better on Chrono. Sadly Mirage just wasn’t fleshed out like it should have been. Axe is clunky and does poor damage, ambush skills should be baseline, the concept of mirage mirrors is a joke when they span far away with a short time frame to get to them. Can you get ridiculous stacks? Sure on a golem or a noob that stands still in hotjoin. Other than that the apex needs a fairly extensive rework

Sachyi Asuna. A [KING]’s Mesmer Unified Kingdom

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

PvE?

sPvP?

WvW roaming?

WvW zergs?

Feel free to check my gameplay on twitch. Ive played in multiple top teams in the past, as anyone relevant in the scene would know. twitch.tv/frostball99

(edited by Frostball.9108)

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

It’s a butst build… centered around clone ambush. Clones dying easily DOES matter quite a bit actually. Everything mirage can do I can do better on Chrono. Sadly Mirage just wasn’t fleshed out like it should have been. Axe is clunky and does poor damage, ambush skills should be baseline, the concept of mirage mirrors is a joke when they span far away with a short time frame to get to them. Can you get ridiculous stacks? Sure on a golem or a noob that stands still in hotjoin. Other than that the apex needs a fairly extensive rework

No, its not. If you cant do anything better on mirage you should look into getting some new build ideas going or just getting used to the playstyle.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Jace al Thor.6745

No, its not. If you cant do anything better on mirage you should look into getting some new build ideas going or just getting used to the playstyle.

Then please enlighten me on this wonderful build that you’re using and tell me how I’m playing it wrong. Because right now Mirage is good for a gimmick build and that’s just about it. It’s a cool idea don’t get me wrong, however, it’s a one trick pony.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

PvE?

sPvP?

WvW roaming?

WvW zergs?

Feel free to check my gameplay on twitch. Ive played in multiple top teams in the past, as anyone relevant in the scene would know. twitch.tv/frostball99

Literally means nothing to me. Especially in this game, where the competition has mostly quit.

“I was in a top team in a dead competitive scene”

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

In an ideal situation, Mirage has insane condi burst, but in a realistic scenario that burst is much harder to achieve.
- Clones insta-die to cleave or AoE.
- You will often have phantasms.
- You won’t have all dodges for offense.
- There’s a lot of access to Resistance.

Mirage seems crazy for the numbers people get in golems (like Holosmith), but when you look a bit further into the specialization, it is clear there are a lot of issues, and some of them cannot be solved by tweaking some numbers here and there, they need deep mechanical changes.

Btw, don’t underestimate Chrono damage. They did some changes that became shadowed by the new elite specializations. This is what I can achieve with normal kiting, torch and F1 against a mob that kills clones…

Attachments:

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

In case people havent figured out the build by the launch of the expansion, ill stream gameplay of it. There will probably be some differences in my build nevertheless even if people do find the essence of the build.

@Jace al Thor.6745

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Not relying on clones staying alive limits the options pretty significantly. You’re probably using the dueling blinds + confusion conversion along with torment and amped torch burns from illusions.

This works for a burst..sorta. You can combo axe 3 or scepter 3 with spamming a few shatters, mirage advance thingy, and torch skills to get a nice condition burst. However, it wastes a bunch of cooldowns to achieve, doesn’t actually apply significant cover conditions, and is extremely prone to pathing bugs if you’re using axe 3 for this.

Additionally, you don’t have inspiration, so you’ve got very limited condition cleanse that will rely on the mantra and jaunt, both with their own issues. You have extremely limited boonstrip, so good luck fighting classes with good boon sustain, stab, resistance, etc. You have very limited cc options, so you’re not really useful in fights for controlling downed targets.

Let’s talk about what mesmer does in sPvP. Usually you’re taking the role of the roaming +1 class with a side dish of map control through portal and single target lockdown with moa. As mirage, you can still take portal, but you’re a far weaker +1 due to the utter lack of cc and boon strip. You can still moa, but without CS it ends up in a very long cooldown. You’re much easier for the enemy group to lock down and destroy without the defense of shield, so expect to be targeted and trained down immediately every fight.

Ultimately it’s basically like helseth said in his thread: Mirage does everything worse than chrono, and is clunky and awkward to play as well.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

I have to agree with Frostball. I have fallen in love with Mirage and it’s disheartening to see a lot of people not enjoying the playstyle. I’m still tweaking my build constantly.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

PvE?

sPvP?

WvW roaming?

WvW zergs?

Literally means nothing to me. Especially in this game, where the competition has mostly quit.

In the past, as in when it was not indecent to have hope for the games pvp scene. Anyhow since you didnt recognise me to begin with its probably pointless to explain.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

Not relying on clones staying alive limits the options pretty significantly. You’re probably using the dueling blinds + confusion conversion along with torment and amped torch burns from illusions.

This works for a burst..sorta. You can combo axe 3 or scepter 3 with spamming a few shatters, mirage advance thingy, and torch skills to get a nice condition burst. However, it wastes a bunch of cooldowns to achieve, doesn’t actually apply significant cover conditions, and is extremely prone to pathing bugs if you’re using axe 3 for this.

Additionally, you don’t have inspiration, so you’ve got very limited condition cleanse that will rely on the mantra and jaunt, both with their own issues. You have extremely limited boonstrip, so good luck fighting classes with good boon sustain, stab, resistance, etc. You have very limited cc options, so you’re not really useful in fights for controlling downed targets.

Let’s talk about what mesmer does in sPvP. Usually you’re taking the role of the roaming +1 class with a side dish of map control through portal and single target lockdown with moa. As mirage, you can still take portal, but you’re a far weaker +1 due to the utter lack of cc and boon strip. You can still moa, but without CS it ends up in a very long cooldown. You’re much easier for the enemy group to lock down and destroy without the defense of shield, so expect to be targeted and trained down immediately every fight.

Ultimately it’s basically like helseth said in his thread: Mirage does everything worse than chrono, and is clunky and awkward to play as well.

You can ignore what im saying for now but youll accept it eventually once youll be playing mirage. Awkwardness and clunkiness is definitely in some parts of mirage but not really in my build from what ive experienced, there is one thing but its mostly due to the skill not working as intended. A lot of the clunkiness also comes just from inexperience and mechanical failure while playing.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

In an ideal situation, Mirage has insane condi burst, but in a realistic scenario that burst is much harder to achieve.
- Clones insta-die to cleave or AoE.
- You will often have phantasms.
- You won’t have all dodges for offense.
- There’s a lot of access to Resistance.

Mirage seems crazy for the numbers people get in golems (like Holosmith), but when you look a bit further into the specialization, it is clear there are a lot of issues, and some of them cannot be solved by tweaking some numbers here and there, they need deep mechanical changes.

Btw, don’t underestimate Chrono damage. They did some changes that became shadowed by the new elite specializations. This is what I can achieve with normal kiting, torch and F1 against a mob that kills clones…

Again, you people are looking at the wrong build type. Crazy condition stacks are easily achievable in normal games, with fast succession.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Jace al Thor.6745

I have to agree with Frostball. I have fallen in love with Mirage and it’s disheartening to see a lot of people not enjoying the playstyle. I’m still tweaking my build constantly.

It’s not the play style that people don’t like I think per say. It’s the fact that half the stuff doesn’t work, have synergy with existing traits, etc.

Axe was a horrible choice for a main hand when the community had been asking for pistol, focus, and dagger. All potentially would have made for a better mainhand. Heck Pistol would be great because it’s a condi spec. But axe sucks. The clunky, pathing doesn’t work well, and damage is to low range to short. Dodges are having to be used offensively for burst, that’s completely against the inherent mechanics. Then you have the issue it’s slow. Chrono fixed that but now you’re back to travelers rune or what not for speed. This leads to the fact Mirage mirrors tend to spawn where you aren’t at and then you have to walk to them or burn blink/jaunt to use them.

Like I said, I like the idea and the potential play style. Anet Judy didn’t do it justice.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

PvE?

sPvP?

WvW roaming?

WvW zergs?

In the past, as in when it was not indecent to have hope for the games pvp scene. Anyhow since you didnt recognise me to begin with its probably pointless to explain.

Watch out guys we have an elite PvP baddass over here.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

Also id like to mention that my current build is only the strongest build i have yet to see myself. Im not saying it is the strongest build possible or it is what everyone will play in the future. While my build might be strong, we have only had a few days to look at these things and its most likely that its possible to even make a much better mirage build.

My main point is that in the games current state it will be a better option than chronomancer.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

You honestly think chrono has worse survivability than mirage? What are you smoking, cause I want some of that.

And to stack that in any reasonable amount of time requires you to have clones out, which are stupidly easy to kill. Just lay an AoE at your feet and they are dead before they can attack….

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Also id like to mention that my current build is only the strongest build i have yet to see myself. Im not saying it is the strongest build possible or it is what everyone will play in the future. While my build might be strong, we have only had a few days to look at these things and its most likely that its possible to even make a much better mirage build.

My main point is that in the games current state it will be a better option than chronomancer.

It’s not like gw2 is a complex game with complex mechanical interactions. There’s not that many ways to build a character, especially with the obvious restrictions of being a condie build that bursts without relying on clones. You can burst with shatters, you can burst with weapon skills, you can burst with ambush skills. That’s literally it. All of those methods have downsides, and chrono is far better at shatter bursting.

I think you’re just afraid to post the build because then people would see how not impressive the burst actually is. There’s no shame in being wrong you know, it’s ok.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

It’s not the play style that people don’t like I think per say. It’s the fact that half the stuff doesn’t work, have synergy with existing traits, etc.

Axe was a horrible choice for a main hand when the community had been asking for pistol, focus, and dagger. All potentially would have made for a better mainhand. Heck Pistol would be great because it’s a condi spec. But axe sucks. The clunky, pathing doesn’t work well, and damage is to low range to short. Dodges are having to be used offensively for burst, that’s completely against the inherent mechanics. Then you have the issue it’s slow. Chrono fixed that but now you’re back to travelers rune or what not for speed. This leads to the fact Mirage mirrors tend to spawn where you aren’t at and then you have to walk to them or burn blink/jaunt to use them.

Like I said, I like the idea and the potential play style. Anet Judy didn’t do it justice.

Im not talking about the design of the spec, i think the design is actually quite horrible so far and some skills are just really out of place and underpowered but that doesnt mean the specialization is bad. Like i made an example of the dodge stunbreak trait, the design of it really isnt healthy for the game but its an extremely powerful effect, like the daredevil dodge.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

It’s not like gw2 is a complex game with complex mechanical interactions. There’s not that many ways to build a character, especially with the obvious restrictions of being a condie build that bursts without relying on clones. You can burst with shatters, you can burst with weapon skills, you can burst with ambush skills. That’s literally it. All of those methods have downsides, and chrono is far better at shatter bursting.

I think you’re just afraid to post the build because then people would see how not impressive the burst actually is. There’s no shame in being wrong you know, it’s ok.

Thats why im surprised people have so much trouble finding mirage any good. Whats the difference between streaming the build and posting the build?

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Jace al Thor.6745

See this is the cool thing. Your opinion is that you have the best build ever and the spec is so great and that you know it’s the truth because you were a pro pvp’er. The thing with opinions is, just like kittens, everyone has ‘em. Your contemporary has already disagreed with you. He says that Chrono will be the better choice. Now Helseth has quite the abrasive personality at times but I have to agree with him on this. Then when Fay, probably one of the most knowledgeable people I know on anything Mesmer, agrees and my conclusions are similar as is the vast majority of the people I’ve talk with about the spec I’m going to lean toward the spec has very glaring problems and isn’t the wonder you make it out to be.
Not only that but most of the people here have pointed out the problems being seen with the spec and your response boils down to essentially " I was a pro pvp’er and I’m right not you" really kills anything you try and tell me.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

Thats why im surprised people have so much trouble finding mirage any good. Whats the difference between streaming the build and posting the build?

i think we all here just want to know your build now tbh .
mind to give us a link ?

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

I never knew people saw axe’s skills beforehand >>

Axes of Symmetry is currently not working as intended—the correct version is Illusionary Ambush which is working.

It is 100% the playstyle and the build because I have not once found this build slow. In fact I’m moving around my enemy so quickly that they have no clue what’s going on.

The movement speed is gone—oh well. Highly unlikely ANet would want to add a 25% speed add to every elite spec. That would be tasteless. Instead we have regen, 20% incoming expertise reduction, condi cleanse, and stun break on dodge which is pretty significant.

Now I’m not saying Mirage isn’t lacking features because it is. Chrono got shield, alacrity, wells, clone generation, 25% movement, superspeed illusions on shatter, and continuum split (7 features) while Mirage gets axe, ambush, more condi, mirage cloak, dodge stunbreak, and superspeed on mirage cloak (6).

IMO what Mirage needs is a special mechanic such as Continuum Split. IDK what it should be, but there should be something at the F5 slot. It just feels like it’s missing something.

Other than that Mirage still works and it works well.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I must say that I have been quite successful on mirage as well but in WvW roaming. I was also playing a burst build. I used Axe+Torch/Staff and went Illusion332Inspiration221Mirage231. I was using MoR, SoM, Blink, MoR, Jaunt (Carrion Armor with Rune of the Berserker/ Sinister Rest 2x Sigil of Energy 2x Sigil of Geomancy)

From what I understand is that most people use their dodges offensively to apply more pressure via ambushes. I suppose the right moment to use your dodge is when you can profit in both pressure and evading. I personally find that quite hard to achieve on any weapon other than staff and axe.

I think where mirage shines is if you are tanky enough to survive quite a while without gettting bursted down. I’ve had that problem on Friday a lot when I tried berserker/viper/sinsister only builds. These didn’t work at all!

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I agree completely. Mirage has some issues, but it is fun and the potential for it to be great is there. To see people so upset by it they want the whole build scrapped is really surprising to me. This build is very strong in its own way and will be amazing when xpac launches.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

See this is the cool thing. Your opinion is that you have the best build ever and the spec is so great and that you know it’s the truth because you were a pro pvp’er. The thing with opinions is, just like kittens, everyone has ‘em. Your contemporary has already disagreed with you. He says that Chrono will be the better choice. Now Helseth has quite the abrasive personality at times but I have to agree with him on this. Then when Fay, probably one of the most knowledgeable people I know on anything Mesmer, agrees and my conclusions are similar as is the vast majority of the people I’ve talk with about the spec I’m going to lean toward the spec has very glaring problems and isn’t the wonder you make it out to be.
Not only that but most of the people here have pointed out the problems being seen with the spec and your response boils down to essentially " I was a pro pvp’er and I’m right not you" really kills anything you try and tell me.

Youve probably not even read half of my responses then. How many times has helseth come up with a new build that was actually used? From the time ive been in the scene of this game that number boils down to 0, he always follows others. I dont know fay well so i cannot say anything about him.

I just said that its the best build i have yet to see, not the best build possible. It seems like you just want to tell me im wrong because other people think i am rather than reading anything i say.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Simple. By withholding the build here and now, for whatever stupid reason you can muster, you’re preventing us from talking intelligently with you about why you think the way you do. You’re essentially the same as a person who goes “this thing is 100% true. I have evidence, but, y’know, I won’t show it to you. Just take my word, it’s very compelling.” So don’t blame us for not trusting you, but we don’t trust you. Give us the build or stop talking about it. Those are your rational options.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

Guys… Stop feeding the troll post. If he was being genuine, he would have explained what he sees in Mirage that is “extremely good” so there could be a constructive conversation about it.

There are a handful of builds that actually do function reasonably on the reddit. They feel kinda like pre-hot Thief. Which, if everyone remembers, was viable but not that great.

It seems like everyone has completely forgotten that they could play the same builds/playstyle by replacing Mirage with a core trait line and actually have more success, though…. #CoreMesmerAmnesia

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Frostball.9108

Simple. By withholding the build here and now, for whatever stupid reason you can muster, you’re preventing us from talking intelligently with you about why you think the way you do. You’re essentially the same as a person who goes “this thing is 100% true. I have evidence, but, y’know, I won’t show it to you. Just take my word, it’s very compelling.” So don’t blame us for not trusting you, but we don’t trust you. Give us the build or stop talking about it. Those are your rational options.

Its alright not to trust me but its stupid not to try to see the potential in something and give it more than one go before you say its bad. Ill be streaming the build after pof release.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

I must say that I have been quite successful on mirage as well but in WvW roaming. I was also playing a burst build. I used Axe+Torch/Staff and went Illusion332Inspiration221Mirage231. I was using MoR, SoM, Blink, MoR, Jaunt (Carrion Armor with Rune of the Berserker/ Sinister Rest 2x Sigil of Energy 2x Sigil of Geomancy)

From what I understand is that most people use their dodges offensively to apply more pressure via ambushes. I suppose the right moment to use your dodge is when you can profit in both pressure and evading. I personally find that quite hard to achieve on any weapon other than staff and axe.

I think where mirage shines is if you are tanky enough to survive quite a while without gettting bursted down. I’ve had that problem on Friday a lot when I tried berserker/viper/sinsister only builds. These didn’t work at all!

It’s very possible to do heavy offensive burst and blow unsuspecting people up with mirage…but that’s nothing new. You can do that with every breed of mesmer in a decent variety of ways. However, the mirage method is a lot more susceptible to failure. You’re using infinite horizon, relying heavily on clones for that burst…but the only skill that can reliably create a clone is phase retreat. If you gave a kiting enemy, axe 2 won’t activate, so good luck keeping clones up vs someone evasive. Same deal vs heavy AOE damage, clones will squish faster than you can create them. Also, almost all of your burst is projectile based. Both the staff and axe ambush attacks are projectiles, so the entire concept of the build can be nullified by any projectile denial. Lastly, you’re burning all your defensive cooldowns on offense, which is obviously a risky proposition.

Compare this to power shatter burst that is mechanically exacting, but instantly impactful if executed properly. Compare that to chrono condie shatter where you have a variety of ways to generate all your resources while still maintaining good defensive options.

Nobody is saying that you can’t play mirage or that mirage is incapable of burst. It’s simply worse at everything than chrono. I also would like to draw attention to the fact that an entire base mechanic of mirage, the mirrors, is absolutely awful and everyone has been trying to pretend that it doesn’t exist.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Its alright not to trust me but its stupid not to try to see the potential in something and give it more than one go before you say its bad. Ill be streaming the build after pof release.

You’ve abandoned the rational options. I think we’re done here.

/thread

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Jace al Thor.6745

LOL are you serious? So you want to wait a month before showing whatever build it is you have? Why? Because you don’t want someone pointing out that the people you’re supposedly mass murdering with whatever build you’re using have no idea how to play the game/PvP because a large majority of the people right now are PvE people playing the specs and therefore proves you wrong?

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Refia Montes.3205

Yeah like all Mesmer mains only tried it once and never tried to make it work, thus we abandoned it. /s

Mirage DPS HYPE

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

It’s very possible to do heavy offensive burst and blow unsuspecting people up with mirage…but that’s nothing new. You can do that with every breed of mesmer in a decent variety of ways. However, the mirage method is a lot more susceptible to failure. You’re using infinite horizon, relying heavily on clones for that burst…but the only skill that can reliably create a clone is phase retreat. If you gave a kiting enemy, axe 2 won’t activate, so good luck keeping clones up vs someone evasive. Same deal vs heavy AOE damage, clones will squish faster than you can create them. Also, almost all of your burst is projectile based. Both the staff and axe ambush attacks are projectiles, so the entire concept of the build can be nullified by any projectile denial.

I’ve actually been using the build more around shatters and the axe skills than ambushes. I’ve been using Staff because of its defensive capabilities and because I’ve been using its ambush primarily to stack up might whenever I need to dodge. I have tried using the other grandmaster traits instead of IH but I do have enough stunbreak/cleanse and the extra condiduration didn’t feel worth it even if on paper it should be better.

I am also not saying that mirage is better than condichrono. I just shared what I’ve experienced.

Lastly, you’re burning all your defensive cooldowns on offense, which is obviously a risky proposition.

I specifically said that I was not doing that.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Im not talking about the design of the spec, i think the design is actually quite horrible so far and some skills are just really out of place and underpowered but that doesnt mean the specialization is bad. Like i made an example of the dodge stunbreak trait, the design of it really isnt healthy for the game but its an extremely powerful effect, like the daredevil dodge.

So which is it, a horrible design or extremely good?

Do you understand that for many mesmer the overpowerdness (which you still fail to demonstrate) is not what draws them to a class but rather how fun the class is?

Maybe your title and original first comment should read more along the lines of:

Mirage has some insane burst on unsuspecting and inexperienced players in spvp. The mechanics are badly designed, unfun and counterinutitive for the class though.

Also the fact that you see Mirages survivability beyond that of chrono is just hilarious.

Mirage is extremely good

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Lastly, you’re burning all your defensive cooldowns on offense, which is obviously a risky proposition.

I specifically said that I was not doing that.

Ok, that’s fair…but also heavily limits your offensive options.

I’ve actually been using the build more around shatters and the axe skills than ambushes. I’ve been using Staff because of its defensive capabilities and because I’ve been using its ambush primarily to stack up might whenever I need to dodge. I have tried using the other grandmaster traits instead of IH but I do have enough stunbreak/cleanse and the extra condiduration didn’t feel worth it even if on paper it should be better.

Right, so the problem I’m seeing here is the really limited illusion generation vs a competent opponent and the awkward and broken mechanics of the axe skills. Axe 2 is pretty clunky and requires very close range, but axe doesn’t have a good gap closer because axe 3 is just non-functional any time you’re fighting on terrain that isn’t flat. If the stars line up and you’re fighting a low mobility target on a relatively flat area, it’ll work well. Otherwise…not so much.