Mirage is not Chrono

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hooglese.4860

Hooglese.4860

Idk why there are so many people saying things along the lines of “Mirage is bad cause it’s not Chrono.” It doesn’t have shield, it doesn’t have f5 and it doesn’t do support but that’s the point, if it was just Chrono it would be boring.

The more fair complaint is that it plays a lot like base mesmer and I like that. Chrono plays drastically different to base mesmer; it’s a bruiser/support mesmer. Mesmer traditionally doesn’t do that, just burst damage, and mirage does more of that. Playing mirage like a Chrono is going to be a bad time.

Another thing: mirage cloak doesn’t mean you can’t get out of circles – it gives you super speed which makes you go a little further than a dodge roll (315 units in 0.75s vs dodge rolls 300). It’s only not the case if your going backwards but hey, there’s also Jaunt/blink/sword ambush/blurred frenzy/distortion…

I like Mirage, and I didn’t like what Chrono ended up being. Chrono is still good in its own way, and now there’s Mirage that’s good in a different way. It needs work though, especially in the traits.

PvP
revenant – Hoogles Von Boogles
Mesmer – hoogelz

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The more fair complaint is that it plays a lot like base mesmer and I like that. Chrono plays drastically different to base mesmer; it’s a bruiser/support mesmer. Mesmer traditionally doesn’t do that, just burst damage, and mirage does more of that. Playing mirage like a Chrono is going to be a bad time.

That’s just it, it players a lot like core mesmer and is worse at fullfilling this role in many regards.

Another thing: mirage cloak doesn’t mean you can’t get out of circles – it gives you super speed which makes you go a little further than a dodge roll (315 units in 0.75s vs dodge rolls 300). It’s only not the case if your going backwards but hey, there’s also Jaunt/blink/sword ambush/blurred frenzy/distortion…

That’s a very very very big “only” though. Pve, spvp and wvw all have parts where side or backward dodges are essential.

In pve against certain raid bosses you really want to back dodge (say when Deimos aoe knockbacks at exactly the same time as green circle is up and your mesmers are not used to distorting).

Spvp should be kind of obvious, without proper back dodges you are a sitting duck. It’s a huge disadvantage especially when your enemy knows you can’t properly backdodge, which people will figure out very fast against Mirage.

In wvw when disengaging backwards to regroup before pushing back in.

You make it out to be such a minor issue when exactly this one aspect of superspeed versus dodge is huge and a very big disadvantage. We shouldn’t have to burn movement utilities for something every single other class has baseline. If at all our dodge with Mirage should be an advantage.

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Or you can turn around while dodging and run. Even use sword ambush as well or scepter ambush is a small phase retreat the turn around and reposition.

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Or you can turn around while dodging and run. Even use sword ambush as well or scepter ambush is a small phase retreat the turn around and reposition.

A bandaid fix for an issue that shouldn’t exist in the first place.

I can do lots of things, one of them should not be have to work against my class mechanic.

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Except mirage is designed to be a condi glass cannon build in an era where condi cleanse and resistance are given out like candy. There’s a reason why current meta has very little glass cannon power builds, not to mention condi ones. Try use mirage against competent opponent on current meta and you’ll see its shortcoming.

Trust me, I’ve spend whole weekend trying to get power shatter work like the good o meta, you’re still better off as chrono and in some cases base mesmer. GS/staff, sword/torch/GS, scepter/torch/GS, sword/pistol/staff, scepter/pistol/staff blah blah blah, You get the idea.

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jace al Thor.6745

Jace al Thor.6745

The fact you admit it needs works is what should stick out to you the most. Yes, we know it’s not Chrono, however, why should anyone switch to Mirage from Chrono or core Mesmer when it does NOTHING better than thos two?
I also shouldn’t have to burn my cd’s like blurred frenzy to evade something like AoE when dodging backwards or side ways would suffice. On top of that dodges are a defensive ability, or should be. We only have two dodges that we have to decide whether to use offensively or defensively. That’s a horrible choice to have to make. At least DD has three to use when they play condi spam.
You can play chrono similar to base Mesmer. That’s what’s so good about it. You can play condi or power burst with Chrono in PvP/WvW and then go to support in PvE. Mirage on the other hand is no better off than core Mesmer. Why should I play Mirage when I can run PU condi Mesmer and play the exact same as Mirage? There’s less time and effort to do so.
So you didn’t like Chrono, I hate it. But it at least is an ELITE spec. Mirage is no where near being an elite spec and that’s the problem probably 95% of the people have with it.

Sachyi Asuna. A [KING]’s Mesmer Unified Kingdom

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

A bandaid fix for an issue that shouldn’t exist in the first place.

I can do lots of things, one of them should not be have to work against my class mechanic.

Its an issue that your make a big deal out of. You can turn around walk on the green on deimos and on your way dodge….. It makes sense what so bad about it?

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

Yes agreed , mirage isnt chrono. What they mean, at least what i think they mean and what i realized from playing mirage during the weekend is that with chrono we made full use of the spec and took advantage of every single mechanic it gave us. Blocks, alacrity, movement speed, double burst with cs or get our health back with cs, or double invisibilty, grav well, moa etc and chronophantasma which was one of the best skills we ever got. CS alone gave chrono so much potential to try different things, combos and take advantage of what was given to the spec.

With mirage it feels like we’re playing 30% of the spec and the rest is 70% pure core mesmer. Mostly cause things like ambush,mirage shard and 80% of our traitline are simply not worth using.

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

People aren’t complaining because mirage isn’t chrono. People are complaining because there’s almost nothing that mirage can do that chrono can’t do better…and it’s chrono.

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jace al Thor.6745

Jace al Thor.6745

People aren’t complaining because mirage isn’t chrono. People are complaining because there’s almost nothing that mirage can do that chrono can’t do better…and it’s chrono.

You know I think we could sit here for years and try and explain that fact but you’ll still have the people that think Anet hasn’t done wrong.

Sachyi Asuna. A [KING]’s Mesmer Unified Kingdom

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

“Mirage isn’t Chrono”

That’s the problem – it’s not Chrono which brings all the problems of core Mesmer to the surface again whereas Chrono fixed some of those problems.

Mirage is a halfway mishmash of mechanics – it should go further and be unique in order to totally differentiate from Chrono and core mesmer.

Mirage is not Chrono

in Mesmer

Posted by: Allarius.5670

Allarius.5670

I’m reading between the lines here, but I’d guess the OP is more frustated with the level of cynicsm, hyperbole, and unreasonable stubborness that is mingled with and potentially masking more productive feedback. If you managed to put Mirage through its paces in the little time available and left reasonable, productive criticsm, then I doubt the post was meant for you. It is a meta topic and I’m sure the OP thought it was problematic enough to warrant a more thorough discussion.

No, the Mirage is not a Chronomancer. It is trying to achieve an alternate, more Thief-like playstyle that will not be everyone’s cup of tea. Some folks will be put off by that, some will feel personally offended, and others will enjoy it. That is a reasonable expectation. It still needs some help getting there.