Most logical race for Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: drkonus.5084

drkonus.5084

Q:

I currently have three of five characters. I have a Charr Warrior, Asura Necromancer, and a Sylvari ranger. Thing I have trouble with the Mesmer and Guardian. I have two races left, Norn and Human. I need help deciding which one makes the most sense logically.

Human noble lost sister, makes sense when you throw in Lyssa
Norn with whatever so far. Bear and defeat ancient foes for Guardian/Raven andintuition to guard the mists for Mesmer with Fight.

Whichever one becomes the Mesmer will be male, and the other will be female.

(edited by drkonus.5084)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Calliope.8675

Calliope.8675

A:

From the point of racial skills, Human is the best choice (for both) because of condition removal.

From the point of culture, Human for mesmer is a good. Humans have no qualms about anything, by this I mean Adelburn and the Foefire, just to stop the Charr from conquering Ascalon again. Another example being the Vizer sinking Orr, also to prevent the Charr from conquering it. So it’s only natural that a mesmer would go to any necessary lengths to obtain their goal and mind manipulation is the best (the movie Inception captures this idea beautifully).

Also on culture, Norn does fit for your guardian. The hero, Eir Stegalkin, is a ranger, but in the book Destiny’s Edge she is most often using axes, mallets, and chisels, staying in melee range. Only in “major” situations does she use her bow.

As a writer, pick whatever you want. Pick the same race over if you want! I have one of each class in the game, and doubles of mesmers (as they are my favorite). I have three Sylvari, one Norn, one Charr, two Humans, and two Asura. My mesmers are Human and Sylvari. Nothing is more important than a strong character, especially one that you can develop well over your gameplay.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Well, there are actually quite a few human Mesmers, even ingame (Jennah, Anise, Kasmeer). As for Norn, I daresay they usually aren’t much into magic, and those that are, are usually Elementalists I guess. Controling/manipulating the mind of someone doesn’t seem like something they excel at. However, fighting like a Guardian certainly does. Braham is a Guardian too.

in Mesmer

drkonus.5084

Yeah, that is what I thought.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

There is actually a fair bit of magic in the norn society but they just have different beliefs for their sources and applications in many cases. Their shaman use magic, and it’s not limited to just one school of magic or whatever. Raven or snow leopard shaman especially might well use mesmer magic – there are ingame examples, even, like the raven witch in Snowden drifts. If you look closer at the personal story (different paths etc) you’ll note there is almost more caster/bow Norn than there is warriors, oddly.

My own mesmer who is a Norn got the idea from snowblinds/mirages, and how the light can produce different things with perception.

But other than that I think a human mesmer is more -straightforward- as a mesmer would usually be represented. So if you’re after the stylish duellant persona I’d totally see human as more likely for that image. Oh, I totally missed the Guardian choice too – I would say that several shaman and warriors close to the spirits are definitely guardians. I think an important thing to note with Norn is while they are often hunters, wanderers etc they can still do that while being a magic user.

(edited by Amethyst Lure.5624)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

I like all races, but my top 3 for mesmer would have to be (in order) Sylvari, Asura Charr.
Sylvari are really curious and calm, they can be made to look so mysterious but yet so good. They have some nice skills if you’re roaming (entangle) and if you’re zerging, the elite druid can help you do quite a bit of AOE damage. Male or female they look awesome!

Asura I love because.. Asura! They’re smaller so it’s kind of a bigger pain in the rear to see who the real mesmer is due to smaller animations. That will only matter if you play PvP and only if you player lower tier PvP because a lot of semi decent players don’t have the issue of seeing animations on Asura, but I don’t want you to play a race because it gives you an advantage, play what you like. It just happens to be so that the race I like also gives me an advantage in PvP. There aren’t too many nice looking armors and in some cases your Asura can look like a rat, but with the right armor and customization, you avoid it.

Charr because of giant clones. You can make them look so silly as well or so epic with a ton of fiery weapons and armor when all of the sudden, after you spawn a few clones, purple and butterflies come out. I saw a charr mesmer like that a few times, cracked me up! You can look at Bamf Joe to see how funny it is to have a massive charr mesmer, but how epic it becomes once you get good at playing the class.
I rolled a charr just to transmute his clothes into something silly and I’ve had a lot of fun in PvP. Sadly most armors suck..

Human have some nice racial skills, but I think they’re to average and too everywhere. They can be made to look sick. Only human mesmer I’d ever make would be a male. T3 armor looks kinda nice.. Also full arah minus headpiece, put gas mask or scarlet veil or the dragon horns and you will look kitten!

Norn are kind of too big, same like charr, but charr are a different type of race. I see norns as massive humans in a way. I love their starter zone, my favorite in the entire game! The racial skills are nice… A max size norn mesmer in full Arah armor dyed in celestial white with Vision of the Mists looks epic!

Don’t worry about what race is best. Play a race you like the look of! You are playing the game, you are supposed to enjoy it, if you go with ie asura because you got a lot of people that say asura is best, but you like sylvari better, you’re not going to enjoy the game!

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

in Mesmer

drkonus.5084

I like all races, but my top 3 for mesmer would have to be (in order) Sylvari, Asura Charr.
Sylvari are really curious and calm, they can be made to look so mysterious but yet so good. They have some nice skills if you’re roaming (entangle) and if you’re zerging, the elite druid can help you do quite a bit of AOE damage. Male or female they look awesome!

Asura I love because.. Asura! They’re smaller so it’s kind of a bigger pain in the rear to see who the real mesmer is due to smaller animations. That will only matter if you play PvP and only if you player lower tier PvP because a lot of semi decent players don’t have the issue of seeing animations on Asura, but I don’t want you to play a race because it gives you an advantage, play what you like. It just happens to be so that the race I like also gives me an advantage in PvP. There aren’t too many nice looking armors and in some cases your Asura can look like a rat, but with the right armor and customization, you avoid it.

Charr because of giant clones. You can make them look so silly as well or so epic with a ton of fiery weapons and armor when all of the sudden, after you spawn a few clones, purple and butterflies come out. I saw a charr mesmer like that a few times, cracked me up! You can look at Bamf Joe to see how funny it is to have a massive charr mesmer, but how epic it becomes once you get good at playing the class.
I rolled a charr just to transmute his clothes into something silly and I’ve had a lot of fun in PvP. Sadly most armors suck..

Human have some nice racial skills, but I think they’re to average and too everywhere. They can be made to look sick. Only human mesmer I’d ever make would be a male. T3 armor looks kinda nice.. Also full arah minus headpiece, put gas mask or scarlet veil or the dragon horns and you will look kitten!

Norn are kind of too big, same like charr, but charr are a different type of race. I see norns as massive humans in a way. I love their starter zone, my favorite in the entire game! The racial skills are nice… A max size norn mesmer in full Arah armor dyed in celestial white with Vision of the Mists looks epic!

Don’t worry about what race is best. Play a race you like the look of! You are playing the game, you are supposed to enjoy it, if you go with ie asura because you got a lot of people that say asura is best, but you like sylvari better, you’re not going to enjoy the game!

I was not asking for best, but most logical. As in the one that most easily and logically fits. and from the replies, seems that the common human would fit correctly.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

What I said still counts.

Don’t go with the one that seems logical
Go with what you like.
That’s the issue with a lot of people today. They’re too much up in their head and think about stuff too much.

I myself love subjects that make you think. Math, physics, something that isn’t just learning facts and dictating them like history, geography ect I am in 9th grade right now and I’m already learning math and physics that some people learn in collage just to give you an example of how much I’m into it and how much I have my logic side developed ..

However, you should often just do what, no matter how cheesy this sounds, your heart tells you to do, not what your logic does. Relax, feel things, don’t analyze them with your logic.
While doing map exploration for example. A lot of people have a task list, find these vistas, find this, this, this. Screw that! Go around, look at the surroundings, look at the details, enjoy it.
That is logic vs. feeling. Feeling takes a bit longer but it is so much more pleasant. I’d rather spend 3 hours enjoying myself while doing map completion than 1 hour of being bored to absolute death.

It’s very important to develop all 4 archatypes (if you are familiar with that theory): The lover, kind, magician and warrior. The least developed in a lot of people is the lover.. The one that feels things and is in the moment. One that doesn’t analyze too much. I can go on and on about this, but I’ll end it here to keep the post shorter and I also kind of went off topic..

I am often telling people here on forums how thing are, flat out, support Pyro with his facts, but I also always add in that they should play what they want, what they enjoy, but since they asked for an objective opinion, facts, they have it. The reason for a lot of debates on what is best is that people mix up what they enjoy the most and what is logically best.

Logical is the best, but rarely the most enjoyable. The point of this game is to enjoy.

It is logical that if you want to PvE, warrior is your best bet.
If you want to solo roam, thief is the best
If you want to do x role in PvP, y is the best

But screw that. I don’t like warriors, I don’t enjoy playing them. I’ll roll a thief no matter how much harder it is to play one in PvE. Why? Because I enjoy it
I don’t like thieves for WvW because of n reasons. I’ll roll a ranger no matter how much harder it is to play one in WvW. Why? Because I enjoy it

Same goes with race..

It kind of sounds like I’m saying that you don’t like human, if you do, by all means play it! BUT if you are playing human because it’s most logical and you would perhaps prefer a charr…

Sorry if this is too much philosophy, but it is true, I’m just trying to make the game more pleasant for you..
Have a wonderful rest of the day,
Peace!

~Monns

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

in Mesmer

drkonus.5084

What I said still counts.

Don’t go with the one that seems logical
Go with what you like.
That’s the issue with a lot of people today. They’re too much up in their head and think about stuff too much.

I myself love subjects that make you think. Math, physics, something that isn’t just learning facts and dictating them like history, geography ect I am in 9th grade right now and I’m already learning math and physics that some people learn in collage just to give you an example of how much I’m into it and how much I have my logic side developed ..

However, you should often just do what, no matter how cheesy this sounds, your heart tells you to do, not what your logic does. Relax, feel things, don’t analyze them with your logic.
While doing map exploration for example. A lot of people have a task list, find these vistas, find this, this, this. Screw that! Go around, look at the surroundings, look at the details, enjoy it.
That is logic vs. feeling. Feeling takes a bit longer but it is so much more pleasant. I’d rather spend 3 hours enjoying myself while doing map completion than 1 hour of being bored to absolute death.

It’s very important to develop all 4 archatypes (if you are familiar with that theory): The lover, kind, magician and warrior. The least developed in a lot of people is the lover.. The one that feels things and is in the moment. One that doesn’t analyze too much. I can go on and on about this, but I’ll end it here to keep the post shorter and I also kind of went off topic..

I am often telling people here on forums how thing are, flat out, support Pyro with his facts, but I also always add in that they should play what they want, what they enjoy, but since they asked for an objective opinion, facts, they have it. The reason for a lot of debates on what is best is that people mix up what they enjoy the most and what is logically best.

Logical is the best, but rarely the most enjoyable. The point of this game is to enjoy.

It is logical that if you want to PvE, warrior is your best bet.
If you want to solo roam, thief is the best
If you want to do x role in PvP, y is the best

But screw that. I don’t like warriors, I don’t enjoy playing them. I’ll roll a thief no matter how much harder it is to play one in PvE. Why? Because I enjoy it
I don’t like thieves for WvW because of n reasons. I’ll roll a ranger no matter how much harder it is to play one in WvW. Why? Because I enjoy it

Same goes with race..

It kind of sounds like I’m saying that you don’t like human, if you do, by all means play it! BUT if you are playing human because it’s most logical and you would perhaps prefer a charr…

Sorry if this is too much philosophy, but it is true, I’m just trying to make the game more pleasant for you..
Have a wonderful rest of the day,
Peace!

~Monns

What I like is was IS most logical.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lord Jim.3971

Lord Jim.3971

Human, Sylvari and Asura animations look the best by a long way. Charr is fun but you get paranoid about iLeap failing more often than on the other smaller classes, well at least I do. For more serious gameplay a small Asura makes animations harder to see. Looks wise Human and Sylvari have the best in my book, Asura in T3 looks awesome as well, Charr is pretty limited, I’ve only ever found two looks I like and one needs something from GW1 achievements I believe, Norn, who knows, do Norn Mesmers actually exist?

Best option however is multiple Mesmers with ghost pots.

Conchis – Tchuu Tchuu I’m A Train [TCHU] – Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

• Human’s logical due to lore aspects (prevalence of known NPC Mesmers, the existence of Lyssa as patron diety to both Thief/Mesmer)
  • Sylvari’s also logical due to the race’s known curiosity.
  • Asura’s logical due to their known facility with magic and magitech.
  • Norn can work depending on which of the Spirits they’re most favored by.
  • Honestly, Charr’d be the closest to an outlier in this situation. Although, Charr are known pragmatists, and would definitely use a Mesmer’s powers for the good of the Legions. Most likely Ash, since they <3 the sneaky folk.
Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Epidemix Revenge.4862

Epidemix Revenge.4862

What seems illogical to me is that you’re playing a fantasy RPG and you’re somehow stuck on being logical. You can make an argument for any race to be mesmer so play the one that looks and feels best to YOU. Unless its pvp then pick aura because its tiny or char for uber bodyblocking.

in Mesmer

drkonus.5084

What seems illogical to me is that you’re playing a fantasy RPG and you’re somehow stuck on being logical. You can make an argument for any race to be mesmer so play the one that looks and feels best to YOU. Unless its pvp then pick aura because its tiny or char for uber bodyblocking.

As I have said, for me, I can’t really have fun unless the race/profession make sense together. Reason I chose Asura Necromancer instead of anything else, or Charr warrior instead of thief.

Okay, so now I am thinking human thief.

(edited by drkonus.5084)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qror.7562

Qror.7562

Sylvari would be quite good (seeing how a lot of Nightmare Courtiers are mesmers), Asura also have quite a lot of potential (outsmarting everyone + they research a lot of magic, especially chaos magic), and lastly humans, who have a godess that gave them chaos magic in the first place

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

There is actually a fair bit of magic in the norn society but they just have different beliefs for their sources and applications in many cases. Their shaman use magic, and it’s not limited to just one school of magic or whatever. Raven or snow leopard shaman especially might well use mesmer magic – there are ingame examples, even, like the raven witch in Snowden drifts. If you look closer at the personal story (different paths etc) you’ll note there is almost more caster/bow Norn than there is warriors, oddly.

My own mesmer who is a Norn got the idea from snowblinds/mirages, and how the light can produce different things with perception.

But other than that I think a human mesmer is more -straightforward- as a mesmer would usually be represented. So if you’re after the stylish duellant persona I’d totally see human as more likely for that image. Oh, I totally missed the Guardian choice too – I would say that several shaman and warriors close to the spirits are definitely guardians. I think an important thing to note with Norn is while they are often hunters, wanderers etc they can still do that while being a magic user.

Love the rationalization.

Personally I picked my guys for the opposite of the OP, I went Asura guard/war, and a Norn Mesmer, because I always like to choose whatever I think is silliest. This rationalization makes my mesmer make sense, well, except that he looks like a biker

in Mesmer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Personally I picked my guys for the opposite of the OP, I went Asura guard/war, and a Norn Mesmer,

Asura in heavy armor can actually look really cute. Well, awesome (or fearsome) too… depending on the style I guess. I just remember once in WvW, that Asura Guardian sitting next to my dead body in an enemy keep, guarding it. Oh, and of course it looks quite hilarious if you see a little Asura in heavy armor swinging his greatsword while chasing a Norn or Charr all over the place.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Personally I picked my guys for the opposite of the OP, I went Asura guard/war, and a Norn Mesmer,

Asura in heavy armor can actually look really cute. Well, awesome (or fearsome) too… depending on the style I guess. I just remember once in WvW, that Asura Guardian sitting next to my dead body in an enemy keep, guarding it. Oh, and of course it looks quite hilarious if you see a little Asura in heavy armor swinging his greatsword while chasing a Norn or Charr all over the place.

Exactly. It all stemmed from my time in EQ for me. I always would use Illusion Ogre/Troll on my enchanter, and I had a Gnome Shadowknight. Just fun.

in Mesmer

drkonus.5084

I decided to go human mesmer in the end, because it is just interesting.