My god Mesmer is bad in PVE

in Mesmer

Posted by: thehunt.9315

thehunt.9315

So … you’re saying that the advantage for staff is that you will be downed and have mobs low from condition damage?

Despite the fact that GS has superior AOE and will probably have most of the mobs dead anyways?

No… he’s saying you can aoe better by switching tgts and relying on Condition damage than straight out burst.

Again, you guys rely on GS way too much. I don’t see the AoE you guys do. I really don.t You have a bounce, I have a bounce and if it does Fire each time… rather than the others (it’s random) also Chaos Storm + Chaos Armour. Phase Retreat with the CD reductions I’m using it quite a lot.

You forget Chaos Storm is Condition….

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Again, you guys rely on GS way too much. I don’t see the AoE you guys do. I really don.t You have a bounce, I have a bounce and if it does Fire each time… rather than the others (it’s random) also Chaos Storm + Chaos Armour. Phase Retreat with the CD reductions I’m using it quite a lot.

1. Phase Retreat doesn’t do damage.

2. You realize iBerserker does AOE damage right? It’s like an AOE iWarlock with a little less damage and bonus cripple?

3. You realize that WOC has a 33% chance to inflict burning? Not 100%? And another 33% for bleed, which helps. Still, only a 2/3s chance to do decent damage.

4. Mind Stab actually hits multiple targets. Needs practice.

5. Chaos Storm has a similar RNG on the chance to inflict Poison over Daze or Chill.

6. Chaos Armor has a similar RNG on the chance for Confusion, which is … Confusion.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

thehunt.9315

1. Phase Retreat doesn’t do damage.

2. You realize iBerserker does AOE damage right? It’s like an AOE iWarlock with a little less damage and bonus cripple?

3. You realize that WOC has a 33% chance to inflict burning? Not 100%? And another 33% for bleed, which helps. Still, only a 2/3s chance to do decent damage.

4. Mind Stab actually hits multiple targets. Needs practice.

5. Chaos Storm has a similar RNG on the chance to inflict Poison over Daze or Chill.

6. Chaos Armor has a similar RNG on the chance for Confusion, which is … Confusion.

Yes and Phase Retreat pops clones pretty quickly. Again I am a Shatter not Phantasms, I actually shatter them quite consistently (phantasms).

Phase Retreat gives me more survivability btw. As I stated before I am really stacked to take a beating for a Mesmer.

I still think my Chaos Storm + Chaos Armour + Staff Bounce (somewhat Prestige + Scepter main hand while the others are on CD) and how often I shatter is more AoE. It’s an opinion and yes I have used GS and know what it does.

It’d be one thing if I relied on Phantasms.

in Mesmer

thehunt.9315

Oh Easy btw, you are arguing my point I tried to make earlier thanks btw.

Mesmers should not have to be forced into using GS.

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Yes and Phase Retreat pops clones pretty quickly. Again I am a Shatter not Phantasms, I actually shatter them quite consistently (phantasms).

Mirror Blade pops clones even faster. Facepalm.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ControllerJacobs.2843

ControllerJacobs.2843

I see this GS AoE sequence (mixing in GS1/GS4 wherever):
cluster targets -> GS2 -> GS3 -> GS5 -> back out ->
cluster targets -> GS2 -> GS3 -> Decoy/Mirror Images/Torch4/Focus4 -> back out

I’m sure some people can rock this or something similar, but there are reasons I personally prefer staff/condition damage in the mob scenario:
1. I don’t want to always back out while keeping everybody in view (which is probably going to be the most efficient GS approach, keeps GS1 going), I like to mix it up and bounce around inside when it feels right.
2. I like to weapon switch, and with condition damage I’m now layering my damage.
3. As I referred to earlier, I don’t like it when being downed is a big disadvantage. With condition builds you rally much more often, and particularly so with large mobs.

eta: regardless, I do appreciate the info to ponder

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

Really both have good AoE, they just work differently. Luckily you can swap weapons. I am using both lately and they are a sweet combination. The GS takes them down faster, the staff takes them down more safely.

Clone > Clone > Chaos Storm > Phase Retreat > Mind Wrack > Mirror Blade > Berzerker > Pew Pew > Mirror Blade > Chaos Armor > Clone > Mind Wrack ….

By the way, if you’re combine the clone on dodge trait with the sigil that gives full endurance on kill, you’re obviously a clone factory from hell. Pull a big group and you can always shatter on cool down.

in Mesmer

thehunt.9315

Really both have good AoE, they just work differently. Luckily you can swap weapons. I am using both lately and they are a sweet combination. The GS takes them down faster, the staff takes them down more safely.

Clone > Clone > Chaos Storm > Phase Retreat > Mind Wrack > Mirror Blade > Berzerker > Pew Pew > Mirror Blade > Chaos Armor > Clone > Mind Wrack ….

By the way, if you’re combine the clone on dodge trait with the sigil that gives full endurance on kill, you’re obviously a clone factory from hell. Pull a big group and you can always shatter on cool down.

I will definitely give this a go. Sounds interesting.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

One more thing – while leveling I tried this in cond/precision gear and the GS was underwhelming. Now in toughness/power/precision gear the GS deals more damage, but staff gives so many boons it makes up for the less damage. I do have 10% of toughness as condition damage, which helps make up for the crap gear I’m using.

in Mesmer

thehunt.9315

One more thing – while leveling I tried this in cond/precision gear and the GS was underwhelming. Now in toughness/power/precision gear the GS deals more damage, but staff gives so many boons it makes up for the less damage. I do have 10% of toughness as condition damage, which helps make up for the crap gear I’m using.

Yep why I like staff and get up and personal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: bouncer.6752

bouncer.6752

The mesmer is a great class to play and verry versatile i use : (scepter and focus ) damage is just a bit low indead but for pve leveling and really soloing mesmer is verry good the only thing you don t must do with mesmer is stop moving and keep creating distance. When you have agro dive true your images so they will pick up agro.
healing skill : eather feast utility skils phantasmal defender , miror images , decoy mass invis. with you have now 7 image availlable 2 stealth options and 4 durations in a short while cast 1 your illusions than after bleeding and blinding stunning use phantasm
The other thing thats the trouble some fights take to long and the reset rate of respawn of mobs are to short and you wil probally have to kill them several time s that was my problem in gw2 playing as mesmer but mesmer is a wicked class to play ive you now your movement!!! PEECE to al the MESMER!!!!!!!!!
(you will destroy them sinds they do more damage.)

in Mesmer

Posted by: tqhx.2190

tqhx.2190

GS Power Precision build and dominate. My DPS is fine, in fact ive been in a lot of groups that wonder why the mobs are dropping so fast…and i once was in a double mesmer PVE group where we both ran GS and it was easily the best run ive had to date.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sarelm.8317

Sarelm.8317

I am amazed at how many truly bad players there are. Mesmer is obviously not for you. You should probably roll a different class. May I suggest warrior or ranger with a bear pet?

Yay another elitist knob crowing about how awesome they are. Do you troll the boards waiting for players to vent frustrations simply because they havent grasped the class yet just so you can post that kitten stroking garbage?

At least post something constructive or dont click reply dude. You really dont have to click it if frustration venting posts like this bother you so much.

Did he put it very rudely? Yes. But I actually have to agree with him. Arena Net released information on classes in respect to their difficulty. They released the “Easiest to play” first and the “Hardest to play” last. Mesmer was released last. They’re not speaking on elitism. They’re speaking on how the very designers intended the class. It might be too hard, you might want to try another one.

You laugh because you think I’m joking. I laugh because I’m not.

(edited by Sarelm.8317)

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

When I hadn’t yet grasped the class, I kept on playing and thinking until I did.

Edit: And then I proceeded with the assumption that I only grasped 25% of the class. And then I repeated this process a few times.

I’m still terrible at the class, but I can at least press 1,2,3,4,5 now without looking like a complete scrub.

in Mesmer

Posted by: PeteyPen.7136

PeteyPen.7136

Mesmers should suck at hitting multiple targets because their the best at creating multiple targets to hit. If they had great AOE their wouldn’t be room for Elementalists.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

With Mesmer, this is even worse because on Claw Island enemies completely ignore your illusions. Every time they go after you and you alone.

they also ignore ranger pets. that is the nature of the risen.

yet i had no problem completing orr with 100% on all 3 maps on both my ranger and mesmer, with mesmer being the best at it (killed faster, more survivable, easier to run through packs and ignore them)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

GS Power Precision build and dominate. My DPS is fine, in fact ive been in a lot of groups that wonder why the mobs are dropping so fast…and i once was in a double mesmer PVE group where we both ran GS and it was easily the best run ive had to date.

fastest dungeons runs i’ve been in had 2 glass cannon mesmer builds. we really are the one single class that can gear and spec full glass cannon in explorables and not be a hinderance to the group.

in Mesmer

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I rarely say this, but if you think Mesmer is crap in PvE, you are not playing it right.

For a Mesmer to be effective in PvE, you should probably approach it very different than for PvP and maximize AoE. Mesmer has great AoE possibilities, for example I run Greatsword / Staff Mesmer and focus on Shattering a lot. I have no problems in PvE, as a matter of fact I am having a blast, getting Gold contributions all the time, soloing Veterans with their adds and what not.

However if by saying Mesmer is bad in PvE you mean you can’t just use 1234, then yes.

Change your approach, discover new things

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

in Mesmer

Posted by: saintange.5816

saintange.5816

Well, at one point i had the same problem as you: dealing very little damages, dying very fast, constantly running around…..
So i decided to do some researchs on the net, i read advices from other fellow mesmers, and then i have choosen the path that fit my taste: reset my traits, updated my gear accordingly… and now i dont have much problem anymore in PVE, because i know how i am supposed to play.
you need to ask yourself what kind of playstyle you prefer: burst? condition damage?…..
and what kind of weapon you like the most :sword? staff?…. and then choose the best option for you.

Chandiell-Chronomancer

in Mesmer

Posted by: VanderBeltLegacy.4736

VanderBeltLegacy.4736

My mesmer is Awesome in PvE, i use there abilities/skill’s to the fullest, GS=nice damage+still @ range, staff=great swap over for clones and evade(skill 2), sword main hand=nice dps(and with torch) skill 5 is nice, why u let a clone take a beating, then burn, wand=confuse and block, pistol decent DPS+rupt, sword off hand to block even, focus=AoE cripple+support), not to mention there ever great utilities that are usable and i did 100% world completion 99% of the time alone, dungeons=were great support n im usually last 1 standing/escaping until we re-group, also staff skill 1=spread boons, skill4=more boons(chaos armor=handy), null field(cures conditions), feed back(so handy especially AC story+most dungeon bosses), dont forget the bonuses for every 10 traits in a specific “attribute”….the shatters=awesome(F2=confusion+dmg(use at high healh, F4 when melee to close and out of evade/block etc., F1=Finisher/lower health, F3=for the inbetween/when they block or “invulnerable”).

so mesmer aint bad, it just takes a touch of thought, i could say ele is bad/squishy, BUT, i know i just suck at ele, lol,

(edited by VanderBeltLegacy.4736)