Need a PvE build for my mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: ado.9160

ado.9160

Hey everyone,

Just hit level 8 on my Mesmer, but I want to start following a good PvE build for it and getting all the right skills. Does anyone have a good PvE build out there that I can use? What is the best one?

Also, when I spend trait points are the non-refundable or do they cost a fee to refund?

Thanks!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

You can ‘respec’ at your trainer. One is in Lions Arch by the Mystic Forge and there’s at least one in each city I believe. I think cost is tied to your level, has capped at 3.5 silver at lvl80.

I’m a relatively young Mesmer, just hit 17, and I’m also looking for a good/fast leveling build. Things were tough until I took 5 traits in Illusions then things started to go easier. Seems that Mesmer kill relatively slowly and have troubles with packs of enemies. When I get frustrated I’ll hop over to my 20 Guardian, gather up a bunch of mobs and aoe till I feel better…

This class looks very rewarding at lvl 80, hope I can push through these lower levels.

Sorry for leaching info from your thread

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

(edited by Bloodgruve.6038)

in Mesmer

Posted by: GamerToukotsu.4219

GamerToukotsu.4219

Hey everyone,

Just hit level 8 on my Mesmer, but I want to start following a good PvE build for it and getting all the right skills. Does anyone have a good PvE build out there that I can use? What is the best one?

Also, when I spend trait points are the non-refundable or do they cost a fee to refund?

Thanks!

A good PvE build is all about playstyle. Personally I have not had any issue with leveling or killing stuff. I kill things in 3-5 seconds at my level. I can take down champions of my level, and easily survive more than other people that normally do events with me.

I’m currently level 50, slowly leveling but, the best advice that anyone can give to you would be: Get gear tailored around your play-style. This is completely based on your weapons and some weapons are counter productive to others.

Example: If you are using a sword/pistol and a staff you are being counter productive because you need Condition and Power as well as Precision and Vitality/Toughness. Stack weapons like this, Power/Power and Condition/Condition. Once you have that settled it will be easier than ever to level.

P.S. Greatsword/Staff until level 40, at level 40 swap to staff as primary with illusions elasticity (20 points into Illusions traits).

Illusory Ally [TFD]
Illusionary Ally [TFD]
Devona’s Rest

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I personally used GS all the way to 80 then I started doing Dungeons and realized that Mesmers aren’t really a straight DPS class in groups. If you want to DPS, you just pump out 3 Illusions (I prefer Warlock or Duelist) and then sit back and watch the numbers.

Of course, none of it revolves around GS, so it’s best to get it out of your system.

As the person above me said, it’s all about how you like to play, however in Dungeons, don’t expect to be able to play exactly how you want to. Mesmers shine as supports, and it can be intriguing and fun, but you are, in the end, a support (in most dungeons, at least).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

For world pve I’m liking GS/sword+focus (focus mostly for swiftness). Put 5 points in illusions then do whatever. Get yourself in tough group fights so you learn how to survive them. mes vs single target is usually an easy time. The lower levels are the hardest while you learn to play a rather intricate class without all the cool tricks.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phalanix.7542

Phalanix.7542

I just started working on my alt Mesmer and find the survivability somewhat less attracting than my Engineer main. Maybe I’m just not used to the way Mesmer plays yet, currently level 30.

I was going to start a new topic, but since this one is similar and have some good info, I might as well post here. I’m having a harder time in PvE with the Mesmer, it feels like no matter what I do, clones or phantasms, enemies still seem to be locked on to me. Even if I pop a decoy, back off while stealthed, once I’m out of steal the enemies automatically reconverge onto me as the target. Shouldn’t clones and/or phantasms act as some sort of distraction so enemy mobs aren’t always drawn to me (i.e. take some of the aggro away)?

Looking for some advice/feedback.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ado.9160

ado.9160

I just started working on my alt Mesmer and find the survivability somewhat less attracting than my Engineer main. Maybe I’m just not used to the way Mesmer plays yet, currently level 30.

I was going to start a new topic, but since this one is similar and have some good info, I might as well post here. I’m having a harder time in PvE with the Mesmer, it feels like no matter what I do, clones or phantasms, enemies still seem to be locked on to me. Even if I pop a decoy, back off while stealthed, once I’m out of steal the enemies automatically reconverge onto me as the target. Shouldn’t clones and/or phantasms act as some sort of distraction so enemy mobs aren’t always drawn to me (i.e. take some of the aggro away)?

Looking for some advice/feedback.

I feel the same exact way. Whats the point of being a mesmer if all the mobs know to attack you? its much different than from PvP.. Anyways, it seems like alot of people in this thread need a good PvE build!

in Mesmer

Posted by: kettering.6823

kettering.6823

I used mainly the Staff leveling from 1-80. I experimented constantly with what my alternate weapon set would be, from GS to Sword/Pistol to Scepter/Focus… and I never really used much of anything but the staff, haha. You can dish out a lot of damage with the Warlock and all of your DoT, and it provides great defensive capabilities as well (boons! Lots of boons!) Out of all the other weapons, I’d say GS is probably the best, and it was what occupied my second slot the most, but it all comes down to personal preference.

Mesmer is kind of lackluster in the early levels though, I’ll be honest. I found groups of mobs very difficult to face for quite a while. Survivability can be a big concern. It really all comes down to managing your illusions well, as well as vitality/toughness and positioning. Traits in Illusion (at least 5) are also vital. Once you’ve got this down, soloing isn’t too bad at all! I only really find myself overwhelmed when I’m against a really big pack of enemies (say 5+), and then I still rarely get downed, it just takes a long time to kill them all.

Also, I don’t often find that mobs (at least groups of 1 or 2) always know who I am? They’ll focus me for a second, but once I get my two illusions out (staff 2+3, always the first abilities I use at the start of a battle) they lose interest and focus on the others. If they do focus you, just pop your shield. It may not mitigate damage but they’re going to take some serious bleed if they decide to focus you.

(edited by kettering.6823)

in Mesmer

Posted by: psyco.4082

psyco.4082

check out Mr. Prometheous’ videos (can’t find link atm)…helped tons

i LUV my mez!

early on I decided on the Condition Damage approach. i put traits into Domination, Chaos, and Illusions. start with Illusions…the more you can pop up the better. later, max your condition dmg (illusions cause x, y, or z when they die, +X% for condition dmg, etc).

as GamerKoutotsu said, get gear that max’s your thing (condition dmg) as you lvl. you can make it yourself if you want (blues work fine until you can afford a full green or yellow set).

i prefer the Staff and Sword/Focus setup over others. if its 1 enemy, i can run up and hit 2 and 3, and lay into someone with CD and get boons back…are you kidding me
if its multiple, i run in…target the first 3 with clones and phantasms, and then clean it up…just don’t forget to move…hehe

know the difference between clones and phantasms…clones distract…phantasms cause dmg…whatever build and weps you use, max your use of phantasms for dmg.

I can pop the Warlock, switch weps and pop the Warden in a heartbeat for dmg, and then run in with my Blurred Frenzy and lay waste. I can pop clones for distraction, then Mind Wreck em for dmg, and do it all again quickly…

main thing to do is max the number of ethereal fields so you can max the number of Chaos Armors you get. this will destroy close combat enemies. also remember that close combat enemies fall to casting and far away enemies fall to the sword.

well, you can proly tell i LUV my mez!! It can be alot of fun in pve and pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Morghana.6342

Morghana.6342

I may suggest a 10/10/10/0/5 initial approach, I started mine for crit damage + sword cds (50 precision at that lvl is amazing).. Then I really suggest crippling/conditions on illusions death/replacements, because this help you out to do AOE and keep the mobs rooted in place.

Either Staff or GS with sword/pistol is the way to go for me.

When you are around to 40 I preffer : 10/20/10/0/5 swiching to fury on phantasm and clones on dodge.

I suggest you to think the best defence for a mesmer is a great offence.

My 2c