Need help building tanky melee mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Catcrafter.3917

Catcrafter.3917

So my idea is to go for melee Mesmer sword+sword for PvE that relies on high vitality and toughness, have 3 combo fields (Null Field, Feedback and Time Warp) the idea is to always have Chaos Armor on me. I don’t shatter my illusions am trying to always have them alive as they give me 10%damage reduction and regeneration. My weapons have Signet of Water for small heals and sustain.

This is the link to the build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhIQNAscRnsISlaWqGuqB1aIh3IM1wp7GDRZ9cpCA-TByFwAEeEALODAX038e/BaK/Mp+DAlgaN/BA-e

Check it out and please tell me if you have any ideas on how to improve the build.
Cheers!

Edited changes:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhIQNAscWnsISlaWqGuqB1aIh3IM3wp7GDRXdpCA-ThCBABYcIAEc/hjU6lj6P0qEcKlBA8AA84MAoi+mEM/BA-e

(edited by Catcrafter.3917)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dei Veien.2456

Dei Veien.2456

Tbh, and this is going to sound mean. I would say reroll to a guardian. By the look of your guild you are trying to provide a fair ammount of support. Something that you would find a lot easier to do on a guardian, it would also be a lot more effective as you have more access to healing, boons such as might (sharing that is) retaliation, aegis and protection.
However if you are set on maintaining a mesmer I would trade out your your gs for a staff (chaos storm blast for more of the pretty bubbles)
Also, maybe instead of relying so heavily on glamour traits, maybe trait your phantasms instead, since you aren’t shattering them you might as well make those bad boys work for their money.
Also, instead of using sword off hand maybe try focus, it will be fixed (fingers crossed) on the next balance patch so maybe maybe maybe maybe it will work. That will give you some cleaving as well as allow you to reflect projectiles (traited) in the same manner that using feedback would. That way reducing the necessity of having to trait your glamour since you will have access to the second and third reflect (phantasm reflect) as well as the staff choas storm for another glamour.
But yeah I made up a rough build of the suggestions I stated to give you some idea of what I am talking about.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhIQNAsdWnsISlaWqGuqB1aIB3QM5iQnc2JUGsZpCA-TxxFwAEeAAX0x8e/BaK/Mp+DAlgaN/BA-e
I left out the confusion and blind thing because without the added benefit of a condition build I don’t think it would be as efficient, however I could be wrong. Not sure if confusion works like most conditions or if it is relying on enemies power for the amount of damage it does (?)

Order of Intoxication [PSY]

in Mesmer

Catcrafter.3917

Hey Dei, thanks for response.
I see now that Staff is much better option for off hand, am gonna make that change. I always see mesmesrs with greatswords that I simply forgot about staff…
Oh I already have guardian. The reason Am sticking with dual swords is because I have cool skins for them and they look kitten and block is also very useful.
Yeah I see your reasoning behind buffing phantasms but constant chaos armor via glamour skills is still kinda better in my opinion, I stil have to try it it in harder dungeons but so far it works really well. But I will definitely switch to staff off-hand, thanks for advice mate!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Hi there, I’ll just toss you this link: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-How-To-Mesmer-in-Dungeons/page/4#post4316430

Basically, you’re going in the absolutely wrong direction. If you’re building for PvE, anything that isn’t damage is a waste. No tanky builds are brought in PvE groups, because they’re simply not necessary (No, guardians don’t build tanky either). If you don’t feel comfortable running 100% glass cannon in PvE, then you can add pieces of knights/cavaliers to your build until you feel safer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Hi there, I’ll just toss you this link: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-How-To-Mesmer-in-Dungeons/page/4#post4316430

Basically, you’re going in the absolutely wrong direction. If you’re building for PvE, anything that isn’t damage is a waste. No tanky builds are brought in PvE groups, because they’re simply not necessary (No, guardians don’t build tanky either). If you don’t feel comfortable running 100% glass cannon in PvE, then you can add pieces of knights/cavaliers to your build until you feel safer.

as blunt as everyone is going to be here, they often dont really mention a few things.

Swords are not made to make you tank, they are made to let you get in and then run/blink out of a fight after doing what you needed to do. Light Armor+Lower Health Pool + Melee – CC conditions / Boons applied = no tanking for extended periods of time.

Swords don’t proc blinds like a guards and we dont have the HP/Armor of a warrior, they apply vuln, strip boons, provide a short evade and a block. thats just enough to teleport in, hit and then run while blocking PvE wise.

Mesmers arent good passive support. The way the class is set up at this time, added to the lay out of traits along with bugs and limitations from mechanics, mesmers are much better at DPS support. Staff offers almost exclusively offensive boons, same with GS. Torch is basically our “Defensive” weapon with both stealth and a blind.

Your group gets more out of you if you can build for DPS and support/Boost their DPS as well.

Chaos Armor kinda sucks for PvE. unless you can get it on your entire group or run into a situation where you are getting hit a lot but only for small amounts, its a neat thing to have but it isnt what is going to turn the tide of a battle.

Regen from Phantasms goes a lot further than just building for glamours to spend them to get CA to hope you get hit but not by the 1HKO and that when you get hit you get a good condition/boon from it.

30s of regen constantly refreshing and maxing out… or.. maybe 4s of regen or 5s of prot every other minute? your choice.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

-snip-

I’m going to have to disagree with you on pretty much every account here.

Mesmer swords allow you to be very resilient to damage with a low cooldown evade and a block.

Mesmers are actually fantastic passive support. The key is that you bring this support while in a dps build, and that means there’s no reason to not build for that dps.

Chaos armor is actually a pretty potent defense in PvE. However, you can provide chaos armor from time warp and feedback without needing to scramble your entire build to do so.

Basically, mesmer is strong at a lot of these things, but you can either provide them while in a full DPS build, or they’re entirely unnecessary for PvE.

in Mesmer

Catcrafter.3917

@Fay
Hey mate thanks for your response and the link, I already read that guide yesterday
I disagree with your presumption am going in an entirely wrong direction. There are of course better and worse builds for certain content but it’s entirely up to player’s ability to make them work and cater to his personal play-style. I always try to encourage people in games such as this to be as creative as possible and to stay clear off metagame as much as they can. I hit lv80 yesterday I still have to get runes and sigils and so far I am very satisfied with my build. I am 80% of time in melee almost 100% of time in chaos armor (I like pretty bubbles) and am enjoying myself. Am also very satisfied with dps and support output of the build. The purpose of this thread was not to ask do you think this build is good or is it necessary in dungeons but to share ideas of how to maximize potential of the melee/tanky/support mesmer and make it work as best it can.
Cheers

(edited by Catcrafter.3917)

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

@Fay
Hey mate thanks for your response and the link, I already read that guide yesterday
I disagree with your presumption am going in an entirely wrong direction.

Sorry man, but it’s not a presumption. You are going in the entirely wrong direction, and it’s not really something that can be argued. You’re choosing to go for a tanky build instead of a dps build. This means you are actively choosing to be useless to a party, they will have to carry you through dungeons.

There are of course better and worse builds for certain content but it’s entirely up to player’s ability to make them work and cater to his personal play-style. I always try to encourage people in games such as this to be as creative as possible and to stay clear off metagame as much as they can.

Again, this build and any variation of it is simply bad for dungeons. Yes, you can run whatever you want to run, but if I (and many others) see someone running a build like this in my party, I will kick you immediately, because you’re not contributing anything to the party. It’s not a matter of personal skill and playstyle, it’s a matter of good versus bad. The best player in the game can’t make this build effective for dungeons.

I hit lv80 yesterday I still have to get runes and sigils and so far I am very satisfied with my build. I am 80% of time in melee almost 100% of time in chaos armor (I like pretty bubbles) and am enjoying myself. Am also very satisfied with dps and support output of the build.

I too ran a very tanky build when I first started PvEing. It does unbelievably less damage, and you don’t really understand that until you’ve seen what a glassy build can do. Chaos armor simply isn’t necessary, and good PvErs stay in melee range the entire fight, in glassy builds.

The purpose of this thread was not to ask do you think this build is good or is it necessary in dungeons but to share ideas of how to maximize potential of the melee/tanky/support mesmer and make it work as best it can.
Cheers

I’ll just say it one more time: Tanky builds are useless in PvE. Nobody is going to stop you from running them, but you will be useless in groups, and anyone who wants to make a dungeon party and doesn’t want to carry you will kick you instantly.

in Mesmer

Catcrafter.3917

@Fay
I disagree with your presumption am going in an entirely wrong direction.

Sorry man, but it’s not a presumption. You are going in the entirely wrong direction, and it’s not really something that can be argued. You’re choosing to go for a tanky build instead of a dps build. This means you are actively choosing to be useless to a party, they will have to carry you through dungeons.

There are of course better and worse builds for certain content but it’s entirely up to player’s ability to make them work and cater to his personal play-style. I always try to encourage people in games such as this to be as creative as possible and to stay clear off metagame as much as they can.

Again, this build and any variation of it is simply bad for dungeons. Yes, you can run whatever you want to run, but if I (and many others) see someone running a build like this in my party, I will kick you immediately, because you’re not contributing anything to the party. It’s not a matter of personal skill and playstyle, it’s a matter of good versus bad. The best player in the game can’t make this build effective for dungeons.

I hit lv80 yesterday I still have to get runes and sigils and so far I am very satisfied with my build. I am 80% of time in melee almost 100% of time in chaos armor (I like pretty bubbles) and am enjoying myself. Am also very satisfied with dps and support output of the build.

I too ran a very tanky build when I first started PvEing. It does unbelievably less damage, and you don’t really understand that until you’ve seen what a glassy build can do. Chaos armor simply isn’t necessary, and good PvErs stay in melee range the entire fight, in glassy builds.

The purpose of this thread was not to ask do you think this build is good or is it necessary in dungeons but to share ideas of how to maximize potential of the melee/tanky/support mesmer and make it work as best it can.
Cheers

I’ll just say it one more time: Tanky builds are useless in PvE. Nobody is going to stop you from running them, but you will be useless in groups, and anyone who wants to make a dungeon party and doesn’t want to carry you will kick you instantly.

Again mate, I respect your opinion but you’re completely missing the purpose of this thread. I asked if people can look at my build and offer suggestions that would fit the idea of the build, like Dei Veien did. This thread is not about do you like the build or not.

I have no problem with people like you kicking me from parties, in fact I would be grateful if you and everyone like you ignore/block me permanently, you are just not the kind of gamers I enjoy playing with online, any game not just gw2. No hard feelings.
Cheers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

I wish I could say follow how you want to play and make a cool tanky build but I can’t .. GW2 is not that type of game.

(Which is was suppose to be)

I’ve been in plenty runs with other Mesmer’s that want to run what they want to run..

They go about using staff, torch, and scepter in PVE and it’s horrible! The whole group winds-up wiping because there’s not enough DPS, and their “buffs” don’t help save the group. I’ve had a few tell me their condition builds do more then berserk.. and they also refuse to TimeWarp.

Run with friends and they won’t really care what you play, run with pugs make sure you play meta or be prepared be yelled at, or kicked. To me playing whatever you want is kinda selfish because you’ll be brining down the whole group for your fun.

So I can’t give any advice on how to make a “better” tank type build for Mesmer.
Anyways I hope I didn’t come off mean, just being truthful. Either way good luck

(edited by Kirito.9207)

in Mesmer

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Cheers

you also missed the purpose of this thread. The point of the thread is to accept criticism.

If you want to prologue the fight to make it interesting, then its a different story.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

To me playing whatever you want is kinda selfish because you’ll be bringing down the whole group for your fun.

This is the key here. Running a bad build is being incredibly selfish. It’s saying ‘I don’t care about anyone else playing this game with me, I only want to play how I want.’ Are you allowed to have that opinion? Sure, but don’t expect people to want to play with you.

in Mesmer

Catcrafter.3917

@Kirito
Hi, thanks for response, The build is tanky but i put in some ruby trinkets and increased crit chance to about 30% and with 2k power it offers pretty good dps with swords, so I don’t think that my dmg output suffers that much?
I did try switching to more standard shatter build with pure precision gear. So far I didn’t notice drastic dps change. The only difference is that with my pure power/tank build i stay in melee always and offer moderate ove-time dps. While in squishy build I run in, burst do dmg and run away. Somehow it feels to me that in the end when I look my whole dmg during duration of the fight it turns out pretty much same. The only difference is personal preference.

in Mesmer

Catcrafter.3917

To me playing whatever you want is kinda selfish because you’ll be bringing down the whole group for your fun.

This is the key here. Running a bad build is being incredibly selfish. It’s saying ‘I don’t care about anyone else playing this game with me, I only want to play how I want.’ Are you allowed to have that opinion? Sure, but don’t expect people to want to play with you.

The build is “bad” according to your personal opinion, so far it proved really good according to mine. I’ve been playing gw2 since release, was always attracted to unorthodox builds, I soloed Lupi with pure minionmancer Necro for example. So far in last 2 years I never brought teams down or had people that don’t want to play with me or ever being called selfish

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

@Kirito
Hi, thanks for response, The build is tanky but i put in some ruby trinkets and increased crit chance to about 30% and with 2k power it offers pretty good dps with swords, so I don’t think that my dmg output suffers that much?
I did try switching to more standard shatter build with pure precision gear. So far I didn’t notice drastic dps change. The only difference is that with my pure power/tank build i stay in melee always and offer moderate ove-time dps. While in squishy build I run in, burst do dmg and run away. Somehow it feels to me that in the end when I look my whole dmg during duration of the fight it turns out pretty much same. The only difference is personal preference.

Trouble here is you’re playing it wrong. The dungeon build should be a mix between phantasms and personal damage (through mantras). You don’t run in and burst, you go in and do sustained damage while avoiding dying through skillful dodging and use of blurred frenzy.

The build is “bad” according to your personal opinion, so far it proved really good according to mine. I’ve been playing gw2 since release, was always attracted to unorthodox builds, I soloed Lupi with pure minionmancer Necro for example. So far in last 2 years I never brought teams down or had people that don’t want to play with me or ever being called selfish

You CAN do PvE in any build. The difference is that some builds are going to contribute nothing to parties, and others will be good. It’s not personal opinion that says your build is bad, it’s hard numbers, and numbers don’t lie.