Need help with solo PVE leveling build

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blech.1568

Blech.1568

Hello,

At launch, I leveled a necro to 80 and then was bored/underwhelmed enough by the class to take an extended break from the game. I’m back, and would like to start up another caster as a new main.

I’ve read the threads on builds, and mesmer in particular seems to have a ton of different variations and a million labels.

Could someone please recommend a good solo PVE weapon set, trait build, and rotation for leveling?

in Mesmer

Posted by: pahldus.1678

pahldus.1678

The best thing to do is craft as high as you can. Mesmer really takes off at level 40 when we can open our second tier of traits.

I would also recommend reading Lazy Kai’s guide. You can find it in Fay’s stickied post at the top. It was very helpful in leveling and is the closest we have to a leveling guide. The key at the low levels is just to learn the mechanics and some of the unique playstyles we have. Use every weapon, because they are all very different. But primarily use staff or GS for level with a sword/x for you off set. GS if you feel you are good enough at dodging and kiting or staff if you want more defensive outs.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Here is the link to Kai’s guide.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Lazy-Kai-s-guide-to-PvE

(edited by pahldus.1678)

in Mesmer

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I recommend always having a focus. Because mesmers walk reaaaaaaaally slow ._.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ImagoX.4718

ImagoX.4718

Agree with Pahldus on Lazy Kai and “anything+focus” (I use sword) for the haste buff.

Also agree that leveling is a lot easier after 40 – Mez’s really start to feel powerful beginning at that level. It’s useful to not be so hard-hitting at lower level though, as it trains you on the fundamentals of kiting and dodging, two skills that you will make frequent use of even at high level (particularly in dungeons, WvW, and in Orr, both to mitigate damage and to possibly, depending on how you’re traited, to spawn your army of clones).

Last, don’t be afraid to try the weapons combos not detailed by Kai, specifically pistol, scepter, and torch – all have different kinds of abilities that call for varied play style. Most Mesmers (myself included) like Greatsword, both for its damage when traited as well as its powerful array of AOE and crowd control effects – me, I just think it LOOKS bad kitten Staff is definitely a good secondary if you are in dungeons or someplace where fighting is more important than the travel speed-buff.

Good luck and have fun!

(edited by ImagoX.4718)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407