Nerf blurr, not aclarity!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

for godsakes, why is aclarity getting shafted and not blurr? now mesmers will be still overpowered in pvp and be able to do even less in pve

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raawk.7584

Raawk.7584

Blur is only on sword skill #2 and it’s not spammable. Might as well nerf unrelenting assault to prevent capture by your logic and any other evade skill for that matter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Yeah blur is not overpowered, for one you are rooted into place, two it does very low dos even if someone face tanks the whole duration. Toning down alacrity a little won’t ruin the class but with how heavy handed Anet usually is they may shave too much and ruin it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

We don’t only want to make chronomancer non-OP, we ideally also want build diversity. Core mesmer should still exist, and alacrity is what makes chronomancer an almost always superior choice. I think ideally, a-net should not nerf any core trait or skills, but just bring the elite specs in line by nerfing them directly. For chrono, this is alacrity, for reaper this is chill, etc…

in Mesmer

Alex Shatter.7956

for clarity, when i said blurr, i meant the entire corpus of mainstream mesmer evasion: sword 2, distortion, well of precognition, shield 4. i think these should prevent point capture contribution or something. if they nerf aclarity, they should at least make it easier to share with other teammates, because at the moment it is just a selfish way to reduce CD on utilities and elite skills

(edited by Alex Shatter.7956)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

for clarity, when i said blurr, i meant the entire corpus of mainstream mesmer evasion: sword 2, distortion, well of precognition, shield 4. i think these should prevent point capture contribution or something. if they nerf aclarity, they should at least make it easier to share with other teammates, because at the moment it is just a selfish way to reduce CD on utilities and elite specs

Half the stuff you said do, in fact, prevent point capture. Also, words matter.

in Mesmer

Alex Shatter.7956

i didn’t know they updated precog and distortion, i’ve been out for a bit. i stand by my belief that aclarity shouldn’t be nerfed due to pve utility though

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raawk.7584

Raawk.7584

If infact they do nerf alacrity… take signet of illusions and you’ll be fine. They should definitely tone down alacrity to 30-50% recharge instead of the current 66% or just decrease uptime alacrity. Either will work but i feel nerfing both of those things will make chrono much less viable.

(edited by Raawk.7584)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

for clarity, when i said blurr, i meant the entire corpus of mainstream mesmer evasion: sword 2, distortion, well of precognition, shield 4. i think these should prevent point capture contribution or something. if they nerf aclarity, they should at least make it easier to share with other teammates, because at the moment it is just a selfish way to reduce CD on utilities and elite skills

F4 and precog well give distortion, which is invulnerability, already prevents point capture.

Sword 2 is an evade. You still takes, say, retaliation damage or get stunned by shocking aura. Shield 4 is only a block, you can get hit by any unblockable skills and the game currently has plenty of them.

Evade or block for any skill from any class DO NOT prevent point capture which is a norm.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

i didn’t know they updated precog and distortion, i’ve been out for a bit. i stand by my belief that aclarity shouldn’t be nerfed due to pve utility though

Unless you’ve been out for ~2.5 years then not much excuse there. Distortion has prevented point capture for roughly that long.

in Mesmer

Posted by: geekilo.8512

geekilo.8512

@Alex Shatter Idk why you’re complaining about Blurr. Other classes have something similar, some classes have more than 1 evade skill in their base weapons. Ranger- sword#2 & #3, dagger #4, GS#1 & #3. Then Warrior GS#4, and Thief have like infinite evade skills. All classes have a mix of evade and block skills, Mesmer have 1 evade skill (sword#2), 1 block from Shield #4, and 2 invul skills.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

We don’t only want to make chronomancer non-OP, we ideally also want build diversity. Core mesmer should still exist, and alacrity is what makes chronomancer an almost always superior choice. I think ideally, a-net should not nerf any core trait or skills, but just bring the elite specs in line by nerfing them directly. For chrono, this is alacrity, for reaper this is chill, etc…

You do realize that no amount of nerfing Chronomancer, will somehow make the core mesmer desirable in PvE right? The reason the core mesmer is not desired in PvE has nothing to do with the Chronomancer or alacrity. The reason is the core mesmer. It does not offer any real value to a PvE group. The sustained damage is low. Reflects are complete garbage now in any relevant PvE instanced content. Boons are omnipresent from all classes except necros and thieves now. The question becomes….why would you want a core mesmer in your PvE group now? It has to offer something of value to make it desirable and it currently does not. This is the same design fail that thieves and necros are experiencing. It has nothing to do with the chronomancer elite spec….it has everything to do with the lack of anything good in the core specs.

The core mesmer was barely holding onto a niche PvE group spot pre-HoT. Once the reflect nerfs happend…the core mesmer was dead in PvE. Its dead in PvE still…for those same reasons as pre-HoT. All you are going to accomplish by nerf crying over Chronomancers is to make all mesmers be dead in PvE. The focus should be on building the core mesmer up…instead of trying to drag the elite spec down to trash level. ANET has repeatedly demonstrated inability to identify the actual problems with balance and implement any true fixes. The idea with well of precog…to increase the cast time…on a stun break…is a prime example. The only problem with well of precog was point capture contribution, but their lack of controlled testing lead to both a fix for the point capture and a mind boggling cast time increase. They apparently just throw the kitchen sink at any problem and hope they manage to randomly fix the problem as a result. They are getting a huge vote of no confidence regarding balance expectations.

(edited by ODB.6891)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I think ideally, a-net should not nerf any core trait or skills, but just bring the elite specs in line by nerfing them directly.

If “bringing them into line” means “making mesmer totally worthless again”, I’ll pass.

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

yeahh back to veilbot……wvw chrono will be useless again …thank you spvp mesmers…..

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I think ideally, a-net should not nerf any core trait or skills, but just bring the elite specs in line by nerfing them directly.

If “bringing them into line” means “making mesmer totally worthless again”, I’ll pass.

That was a PvP comment. Before HoT, all professions but rangers had something to bring in PvP (and even ranger was not totally hopeless). Nothing has been removed from this balanced state, all trait lines and skills are pretty much there. You just need to reduce the extreme efficiency of the new skills and traits.

For PvE, I stand by what I said. I think alacrity can be nerfed in a reasonable way to rebalance PvP and keep mesmer useful in PvE. However, I also think alacrity should not be the only solution to mesmer’s problems there.

in Mesmer

Alex Shatter.7956

That was a PvP comment. Before HoT, all professions but rangers had something to bring in PvP (and even ranger was not totally hopeless). Nothing has been removed from this balanced state, all trait lines and skills are pretty much there. You just need to reduce the extreme efficiency of the new skills and traits.

For PvE, I stand by what I said. I think alacrity can be nerfed in a reasonable way to rebalance PvP and keep mesmer useful in PvE. However, I also think alacrity should not be the only solution to mesmer’s problems there.

At some point Anet needs to realize that PVE is only about sustained DPS and that portals, phantasms, and confusion are not passable benefits. Alacrity was barely a good enough excuse to take mesmer for the last month, but anything less than what it is now is not a good enough excuse to take a mesmer over an elementalist or engineer. 50% recharge is okay, but the opportunity cost isn’t worth it.

in Mesmer

Alex Shatter.7956

My ideas for a balance:

1. Change function of Echo of Memory to only block 1 attack. Change function of Well of Precognition to allow allies to hit through enemy block / evade instead of giving spammy invulnerability.

2. Change Alacrity to 50%, and increase duration of applied, particularly to allies. Give new ways of applying alacrity to allies, like Winds of Chaos bouncing.

3. Increase mesmer DPS for PvE

4. Make Continuum Shift last longer or make it do something else. Where it stands it’s only good for halving the recharge of gravity well or Time Warp.

in Mesmer

Posted by: AlphatheWhite.9351

AlphatheWhite.9351

1. Change function of Echo of Memory to only block 1 attack.

No. This is how it was in the first beta, and it was bad.
Furthermore, wth man? There are multiple classes with duration-blocks like this, some with longer durations (especially after the nerf).

Change function of Well of Precognition to allow allies to hit through enemy block / evade instead of giving spammy invulnerability

This was also terrible when it was the case. The timing was just bad, and there were many complaints.

2. Change Alacrity to 50%, and increase duration of applied, particularly to allies. Give new ways of applying alacrity to allies, like Winds of Chaos bouncing.

A better approach. Not an Anet approach, sadly, but better. The idea of compensating nerfs to problematic interactions with buffs to non-problematic ones is not something they seem to consider often.

3. Increase mesmer DPS for PvE

Absolutely.

4. Make Continuum Shift last longer or make it do something else. Where it stands it’s only good for halving the recharge of gravity well or Time Warp.

??? Continuum shift currently allows a full time warp/all wells/shield5 rotation. The requirement is that you get enough illusions out to do so. That’s not a bad requirement, given the entire class centers around that principle.

in Mesmer

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

My ideas for a balance:

The fixes that would be acceptable and best balance for CS is to make it stop resetting Elites, or make it an Elite in and of itself and either give it a static duration or make it have a scaling based on Clones up when cast without shattering them. Both options I see as being very acceptable and I believe it would work great as an Elite do to the power of resetting CD and Health pool.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Re: “sword 2, distortion, well of precognition, shield 4”

Well of precog was nerfed once.

Shield 4 has been nerfed once. If alacrity is changed it’s not even as strong as revenant shield block , scrapper hammer 4, or Illusionary Riposte (Mesmer sword offhand).

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

for clarity, when i said blurr, i meant the entire corpus of mainstream mesmer evasion: sword 2, distortion, well of precognition, shield 4.

Ok, so actually you wanted to say “Mesmers have too much defence”?
Because Shield 4 isn’t even evasion. Neither is WoP.

But anyhow, still no. Alacrity is a problem in it’s availability, but we all knew that after AWTEW was changed in beta. It’s hardly surprising it is getting changed again now, it was originally balanced without that talent in the game.

This is not an sPvP-specific issue. Frankly I do not think I could care any less about sPvP if I tried. It’s still an issue though.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

No matter what is done to Alacrity F5 still exists and that will make Chrono still superior to Core Mesmer. I don’t think Core Mesmer will be coming back.

I would imagine Alacrity will be brought down to 50%, with Res/Stomp being normalised in PvP that should make Chronobunker less obnoxious, I do worry what space is left for Mesmers (and Chronos) once this goes through (not that I’m defending Chronobunker but A LOT of other things need nerfing but no signals from Anet thats what they are doing).

Also I’d like to express my total outrage at them giving Blurred Frenzy to several other classes but with no root drawback and upping the damage – its just bullkitten.

(edited by Coulter.2315)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

If core mesmer did considerably more DPS than chrono and Chronophantasma was made baseline, you’d see a possibility for core mesmers.

But it isn’t.

Mesmer utility outside wells and feedback is absolute garbage. Point one for chrono.

Chronophantasma is a band aid for the flaw inherent in the shatter mechanic, and ability that doesn’t overcome the sustained DPS loss of 3 phantasms. So mesmers want to take this if they don’t want to kitten their sustained DPS by shattering, which continuum shift and alacrity on shatter demand.

Then there’s the 25% movement speed minor, the mesmer’s only access to high movement uptimes.

And since non-chrono traits are so bad to begin with, mesmers don’t have an option.

They nerfed harmonious mantras to the ground so mantra builds are dead, and thus Dueling has no worthwhile grandmaster to a power build.

Domination has a bunch of weak interrupt centric effects, on a class who has high cooldowns on interrupts besides offhand sword #4, so the uptime on a couple of vulnerability stacks is junk for a minor trait, as is quickness on interrupt. The other is increased shatter damage as our only domination grandmaster, since power block was made totally worthless by the breakbar changes.

Illusions is another stinker, with confusion on shatter as a minor, what the hell is that. Confusion is a garbage condition, through and through. It does pitiful damage, and a minor trait that procs conditions is dumb for a line oftenh used with power specs. It’s a waste of a minor. Then the grandmaster, just like the other mesmer traitlines, is worthless. 15% extra crit to mindwrack, which is not even used in PvE much because it’s a DPS loss without chronophantasma, or a blind on block which again doesn’t work on most monsters due to breakbar.

These people have such haphazard development/balancing ideas. It’s like they’re completely divorced from how their game is actually played in serious PvE and even PvP. And they still continue to try to balance for both which as expected ends in disaster.

I just gave up, there are better MMO’s out there for PvE with serious class balance, not the usual hype train into massive gold/currency grinds and cash shop gambling boxes containing tickets for their skins released bi-weekly or monthly while the core game has barely any armors/weaponskins added that aren’t some massive gold grind/RNG drop or zerg dynamic event content.