New ES Idea: BARD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Elite Spec Name: Bard
Weapon: Short Bow
New Skill Type: Coda
Mechanics: F1-F5 skills are changed into what are called “Verses”. Traits that normally work with Shatters also trigger on Verses.

Mesmer Elite Spec becomes Bards.

Bards take their short bow into the field of war to inspire and heal their allies with their soothing voice whiling channeling their music.
Bard is a new Healer/Boon support Elite Spec. Bards sing loud Verses that shatters their illusions into wonderful sounds that apply boons and heals allies.
Codas are ranged channel skills that deal damage from afar to enemies. Codas apply Boons to allies within the Coda’s sound wave, and heals allies near the target’s location, making for great sustain healing verse the burst healing of a Druid.

whats your thoughts on this?

in Mesmer

Posted by: GLaDOS.5897

GLaDOS.5897

Goodness gracious, no ! Not another boonshare specialization !
Give us some damage already !

Taaun We – Vizunah Square (EUW/FR)

in Mesmer

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

I don’t think it would be healthy for the game that the next mesmer elite specs use an f5. I personally feel like the next elite spec should give our f1-f4 new abilities.

(edited by flog.3485)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Yeah, this idea has only been suggested in various forms about 80 times. Such a useful contribution.

Edit: Also, shortbow? On a bard? Seriously, this is awful.

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Every single game I have played people have obssesed over being able to play a Bard. I have never understood the fetish surrounding bard classes. What makes them so desirable? Nothing against your idea personally, but I have never seen a bard class that sounds interesting and that wouldn’t work better as another class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

Bard always felt like ranger or thief imo I would even pick warrior as a bard before mesmer no thanks

in Mesmer

Posted by: Allarius.5670

Allarius.5670

I am also obsessed with a musically themed elite specialization and am completely inspired by the ideas you’ve shared. I’d be down with the elite specialization having support and boon options, but I’d really love it if it had sufficient build diversity for damage, control, and utility options as well.

I was so inspired by your ideas in fact that I spent the afternoon fleshing them out into a rough sketch of how I would go about doing it. There is some fun stuff there I hope you like.

Elite Specialization: Minstrel (apparently Bard can have a more “warrior-ish” association than the more delicate, artistic type I was interested in)

Muses – Muses are an additional type of illusion summoned by the mesmer that follows (180 leash range) and casts beneficial effects on the mesmer called enchantments. Muses are self targeted and persist until shattered, destroyed, or the mesmer is killed. Muses possess the same priority as phantasms. Like phantasms, muses are more obviously illusions, but are distinguished from one another by differing armor sets.

Ballads – Ballads are the Minstrel’s profession mechanic and replace normal shatters. Ballads consume illusions when activated and increase in duration for each illusion consumed (Initial effect, pulse effect after 1 sec for “self shatter”, and again in 1 sec increments with a duration increase of 1 sec per illusion). Each ballad is a 1200 range channeled attack that requires line of sight, range, and facing. As with other channeled skills, the target of the ballad can be changed during channeling. Generally, ballads perform similar functions to their shatter counterparts but do so over time, trading burst for persistence. Traits that apply effects upon shatter activation continue to do so upon activation of ballads (Bountiful Disillusionment, Restorative Illusions, etc.); traits that apply effects for with each illusion shattered do so on each pulse (Maim the Disillusioned, Rending Shatter, etc.).

F1 – Ballad of Delusions: Shatter your illusions and apply damage to your foe and nearby enemies over time. Also applies damage to foes along its line of effect. The duration of the ballad is increased for each illusion shattered.

F2 – Ballad of Regret: Shatter your illusions and apply confusion to your foe and nearby enemies over time. Also applies confusion to foes along its line of effect. The duration of the ballad is increased for each illusion shattered.

F3 – Ballad of Disruption: Shatter your illusions and daze your foe over time. The duration of the ballad is increased for each illusion shattered. (Applies 1 sec of Daze to your target on activation and again each second while channeled. Master of fragmentation makes this aoe in the same nature as F1 and F2.)

F4 – Ballad of Resolve: Shatter your illusions and gain distortion for each one shattered. Apply protection to allies near your foe and to allies along the ballad’s line of effect for the duration. The duration of the ballad is increased for each illusion shattered.

(edited by Allarius.5670)

in Mesmer

Allarius.5670

The minstrel’s long bow operates similar to other mesmer weapons, granting access to two illusion generating skills (a clone and a phantasm) and a general focus on utility and control, but also aims for overall synergy with the minstrel tool set. Consistent with other longbows, most skills have 1200 range; Sonic Dissonance is the exception with a self centered aoe of 600 range. Persistent with the minstrel’s theme and associated elite weapon skin, the weapon is not used like a traditional bow but instead “played” like a string instrument.

1 – Discordant Melody: 1.25 sec cast. Pulse sonic energy in an area around your foe, damaging nearby enemies with each beat and making them vulnerable.
Damage (3x): 121 (0.3, 0.9 total)
Vulnerability (3x, 5 sec)
Number of Targets: 3
Pulses: 3
Radius: 240
Range: 1200

2 – Echo: 0.5 sec cast, 10 sec cool down. Damage and weaken your foe and nearby enemies with a blast of sound. Summon an illusion that casts Discordant Melody.
Damage: 282 (0.7)
Weakness (3 sec)

3 – Sound Barrier: 0.5 sec cast, 12 sec cool down. Release a projectile of sound that damages and chills enemies it passes through. Shatter the projectile to teleport to it.
Damage: 403 (1.0)
Chill (3 sec)
Radius: 120
Unblockable

3 (Sequence) – Speed of Sound: Shatter your sound barrier to teleport to its location and gain superspeed.
Superspeed (3 sec)

4 – Illusionary Scoundrel: 0.75 sec cast, 20 sec cool down. Summon a phantasm that shadowsteps to your foe, damaging them and removing boons.
Damage (3x): 3x 290 (0.288, 0.864 total)
Boons Removed: 3

5 – Sonic Dissonance: 0.25 sec cast, 20 sec cool down. Unleash two sonic blasts in quick succession that ripple outward from your location. The first wave blinds and the second wave dazes enemies struck.
Damage (2x): 2x 73 (0.2, 0.6 total)
Blind (5 sec)
Daze (1 sec)
Range: 600

Each minstrel shout has two effects: (1) an effect reminiscent of other shout skills and (2) summoning a skill specific muse.

Heal – “Encore!”: Shout, 0.75 sec cast, 20 sec cool down. Heal yourself. Summon a Muse of Recovery that grants additional healing.
Healing: 4299 (0.6)
Muse of Recovery – 0.5 sec cast, 3 sec cool down. Healing: 640 (0.1), Range: 1200

Utility 1 – “Empathy!”: Shout, 30 sec cool down. Break stun and apply weakness to nearby foes. Summon a Muse of Sympathy that enchants you with regeneration and vigor.
Weakness (3 sec)
Radius: 600
Breaks Stun
Unblockable
Muse of Sympathy – 0.5 sec cast, 5 sec cool down. Regeneration (3 sec), Vigor (3 sec), Range: 1200

Utility 2 – “Backlash!”: Shout, 20 sec cool down. Damage and apply confusion to foes around you. Summon a Muse of Regret that enchants you with retaliation and fury.
Damage: 186 (0.7)
Confusion (3x, 5 sec)
Muse of Regret – 0.5 sec cast, 5 sec cool down. Retaliation (3 sec), Fury (3 sec), Range: 1200

Utility 3 – “Disenchantment!”: Shout, 0.5 sec cast, 25 sec cool down. Damage and strip boons from foes around you. Summon a Muse of Purity that cures conditions on you.
Damage: 186 (0.7)
Boons Removed: 2
Muse of Purity – 0.5 sec cast, 3 sec cool down. Conditions Removed: 1, Range: 1200

Utility 4 – “Enchantment!”: Shout, 0.5 sec cast, 30 sec cool down. Apply blind and slow to nearby foes. Summon a Muse of Magic that enchants you with Chaos Armor.
Blind (5 sec)
Slow (3 sec)
Unblockable
Muse of Magic – 0.5 sec cast, 10 sec cool down. Chaos Armor (3 sec), Range: 1200

Elite – “Crescendo!”: Shout, 1 sec cast, 75 sec cool down. Daze foes around you. Summon a Muse of Virtue that enchants you with stability.
Daze (3 sec)
Muse of Virtue – 0.5 sec cast, 10 sec cool down. Stability (1x, 10 sec), Range: 1200

in Mesmer

Allarius.5670

Minor Adept – Musical Genius: Shatters are replaced by ballads that consume illusions to channel effects over a short duration. Only one ballad may be channeled at a time; activating another ballad ends the first.

Major Adept – Inspired Hex: Ballad of Regret removes a condition from the minstrel when it damages foes and applies poison to foes when a condition is removed. Only one condition can be removed per pulse, but poison is applied on all enemies that are hit. Conditions Removed per Pulse: 1, Poison (1x, 5 sec)

Major Adept – Harmonic Discord: Discordant Melody continues to pulse for a short period after its channel ends. Long bow skills have reduced cooldowns. Recharge Reduced: 20%
1 – Discordant Melody: 1.25 sec cast. Pulse sonic energy in an area around your foe, damaging nearby enemies with each beat and making them vulnerable.
Damage (6x): 121 (0.3, 1.8 total)
Vulnerability (6x, 5 sec)
Pulses: 6

Major Adept – Sonic Fortification: Gain aegis when activating a ballad. Aegis (5 sec)

Minor Master – Maestro: You may use skills, dodge, and interact with the environment without interrupting your ballads.

Major Master – Inspired Enchantment: Boons you remove from foes are granted to you.

Major Master – Enchanter’s Tongue: Gain endurance whenever you gain a boon. Shouts have reduced cooldowns. Endurance per Boon: 3, Recharge Reduced: 20%

Major Master – Persistent Inspiration: Muses have increased health and spawn with protection. When a muse casts an enchantment it loses a condition. Protection (6 sec), Conditions Removed per Cast: 1

Minor Grandmaster – Melodic Inspiration: Activating a ballad summons a Muse of Heroism that enchants you with might.
Muse of Heroism -0.5 sec cast, 3 sec cool down. Might (3x, 10 sec), Range: 1200

Major Grandmaster – Lamentation: Your ballads drain endurance from enemies in their areas of effect and increase your outgoing damage with each hit. Endurance Drained per Pulse: 3, Lamentations (10 sec, 20x max): 1% increased damage

Major Grandmaster – Bardic Inspiration: Your ballads grant endurance to allies in their areas of effect and increase your boon duration with each hit. Endurance Granted per Pulse: 3, Inspiration (10 sec, 20x max): 1% increased boon duration

Major Grandmaster – Soothing Verses: Your ballads heal allies in their areas of effect and increase outgoing healing with each hit. Healing per Pulse: 200 (0.2), Soothing Verses (10 sec, 20x max): 1% increased outgoing healing

(edited by Allarius.5670)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Goodness gracious, no ! Not another boonshare specialization !
Give us some damage already !

Honestly weaving songs sounds far better than the garbage gameplay of sharing boons we have right now, which is even just a random result of devs not considering the interactions on abilities.

If anything, do that, and make Chronomancer something else, a pure debuffer for example.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

mesmer bard would feel sexy also giving mesmer a ranged weapon that isnt great sword would feel interesting tho i would go with long bow. shoot arrows into the sky and rain a disco down on your team.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Yeah. Because it got to be a longbow. Used like a harp. Duh.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

I have a similar idea:

Minstrel

• Weapon: Shortbow.
  • Utilities: Orchestra.
  • Mechanic: Violin/Cello kit.

The shortbow is played like a harp, and its magic illusory arrows chase targets and can hit them from multiple sides.

Orchestra are summoned floating instruments, that act kinda like AoE turrets. Once deployed, their slot skill unlocks a new control skill for additional effects (like spirit weapons).

The violin/cello kit provides extra skills, and also changes orchestra slot skills providing a shatter option, where they are destroyed. Said extra skills replace your weapon skills, and let you “play music”, giving different types of buffs.

Oh no, another boonshare!

The minstrel wouldn’t be exactly a buff giver. Instead, he would transform conditions applied to allies into boons, and also heal allies depending on the number of boons. So, he needs boons to work well, but he doesn’t actually provide said buffs in quantities high enough to make a difference.

So, it’s kinda of a healer if you think about it. If this is too bland, an alternative is to make it a damage-denier, as in, instead of healing, he blocks enemy attacks or reduces their strength.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

snip

whats your thoughts on this?

I actually really like this. The theme and mechanics sound like fun.

However I gotta agree with others that what mesmer really needs is a damage spec, not another support spec. What are we tied with rev for last place in dps? I know we are at or very near the bottom… Last I checked like 13k dps while elementalist is doing 30k+? Someone can correct me on the numbers…

in Mesmer

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

I loved my Bow Bard in a game called Shadowbane. One of my favorite classes to play. Endorse.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tappajabob.5983

tappajabob.5983

I have seen many people suggest a bard before, but your suggestion is by far the coolest implemention I have seen.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i would be all for musical kits like engi kits, it would be fun to have dps for a change, who said the ministrel or bard need necessarily to be a support class? or it could be situational just like the kits on an engineer are, you can have instrument for power damage, instuments for condition damage and instruments for healing/support.
also i would love to beat enemies with my guitar on their face!

also as much as i like the idea of a musical specialization the one described above it is pretty much what the mesmer already is but with a music theme instead of illusion theme…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Mesmer

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

I’d prefer just about anything that isn’t support & doesn’t use shortbow or bow.

Just give mesmer a pure DPS spec & give them a mainhand dagger. (or axe)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

Just the fact that Greatsword (traditionally a melee weapon) is a range weapon on mesmer, might it be fun to have a shortbow that could be a melee weapon instead?

Using the short bow (possibly) like a harp? but having a …
“mace like attack” (1h: smash your sb into the face of your opponent) (while sb is a 2H weapon, the art for the mace attack would show only 1h.)
“Greatsword like attack”, (2H: slashing attack)
“staff like block” (2H: blocking attack- possibly channeling?)
and
then maybe 2 other range ones? (more harp like, playing music)
>>>Plus since it’s a mesmer maybe the “art” has a pink like glowy mist around the sb making it more mace like or GS like or staff like during those attacks.

1. Mace like attack

chain.
Smash Your Foe upside the head with your sb
Damage: 400

chain.
Bash Your Foe in the face with your sb
Damage: 400

chain.
Cripple Your Foe
Cripple -50% speed
Damage: 1,000

2. Greatsword like attack

chain.
Slash your enemies with your sb using both hands
Damage: 3,000
Range: 130, hits 3 targets

chain.
Swing a second time dual hitting foes
Damage: (2x) 3,500

chain.
Final Devastating Strike
Damage: 9,000
Vulnerability (6s)

3. Staff like block

Channel a shield from your sb that blocks attacks.
If the shield is not destroyed, it explodes sending splinters into foes that bleed them and slows their attacks.
Bleed Damage 2,000
-50% speed of attacks (3s)

4. Range Attack

Bounce notes off your target between multiple foes
number of bounces: 3
Damage 400
range: 1,000

(this might have to be a more devastating attack with a longer cool down)

5. Range Attack

Sound Barrier: 0.5 sec cast, 12 sec cool down. Release a projectile of sound that damages and chills enemies it passes through. Shatter the projectile to teleport to it.
Damage: 403 (1.0)
Chill (3 sec)
Radius: 120
Unblockable
3 (Sequence) – Speed of Sound: Shatter your sound barrier to teleport to its location and gain superspeed.
Superspeed (3 sec)

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

(edited by Kelly.7019)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shena Fu.5792

Shena Fu.5792

if shortbow is inspired by music theme. then its attacks should pierce, preferably innately rather than via a trait. also some additional bleeding (cause enemies’ ears to bleed), but bleed is not main effect.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Soothsayer.9206

Soothsayer.9206

Yeah, this idea has only been suggested in various forms about 80 times. Such a useful contribution.

you are correct, makes me flashback to Grobnar Gnomehands?

Kyrie eleison…Dies irae, dies illa…Quando judex est venturus

in Mesmer

Posted by: blazinfury.8504

blazinfury.8504

This is almost exactly like the Final Fantasy 14 Bard class, which does use a bow and uses songs as a boon. It’s a lot of fun and I think Anet could make some improvements to make it fit the lore. However, I would rather have a dagger based spec for some serious does. I’m tired of being a boonbot with low tier damage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I’d much prefer a DPS spec with dagger or mobility 2hander

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

actually it could be a DPS bow mesmer o.O with.. chants/echos, and it doesnt means that allies buffs need to be boons…. theres nother ways to give support….

Making everything boons was already a Anet mistake they need to bring back what gw1 had good.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Mesmer

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

You know what would be cool to tinker with in next elite spec: boon manipulation. The idea would be have an effect through active gameplay which would stack a variety of boons into one single boon equivalent to the number of boons that has been transformed. Let’s say an opponent is running around with 7 stacks of might, fury and regeneration. You could turn these three boons to 9 stacks of might. You could also apply this effect to yourself and use this effect for condies. Another concept I was thinking about is manipulation of aoes. The idea would be that now, all illusion are summoned with a little aoe at their feet. When you shatter, these aoes swoosh back to the caster and based on the F skill that has been used, they are shaped in different forms to give different benefits to the caster or the next to be summoned illusions