Newish Mesmer Questions on Build

in Mesmer

Posted by: dreamer.3925

dreamer.3925

Hello! I played at launch very briefly, and just started back up. I like the changes, but I have questions. I’ve been playing Mesmer and I just hit 33. I know it’s not the “meta” build, but I’m wanting to do a phantasm build where I’m basically a pet mesmer. I usually try to use sword/sword, but sometimes in dungeons I switch to greatsword. I’ve got dueling maxed out, but I’m curious about input on the other specializations. I am thinking inspiration and illusion. Inspiration has a lot of phantasm buffs, and the only reason to go Dom is for the +15% attack. I don’t want to be a shatter mes, but illusion has the phantasm haste and reduced cooldown. Inspiration also adds a little support aspect which I enjoy. Question is if that will viable at all or a totally useless build. Secondly, if I go for dueling/inspiration/illusion, should I go for inspiration second, or illusion?

Any other Mesmer tips would be appreciated! I’m not trying to be a top player, just trying to get it all figured out since it’s a decently complicated class. Thanks!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Der Buck.5439

Der Buck.5439

If you are still leveling don’t worry too much, unless you die a lot. Use https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-Kai-s-Complete-PvE-Compendium/ to get you going and play around. Still try to use shatters for final burst and some interrupt/defense. You’ll want those skills later.

in Mesmer

dreamer.3925

Thank you for the response. I did see that guide I believe. I am just leveling now, but I would like to level with a build that I will most likely keep playing at max lvl. Just looking for some community input to my build directly, as I know mesmering can be very complex.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

My guide is build in a fashion, that it will actually introduce you to the basics of mesmer (shatter) playstyle.

Pure phantasm builds have been butchered by ANet quite some time ago and I do not recommend them at any point in PvE. Back in the days when phantasm builds were strong I actually thought about rewriting my guide towards this playstyle, but now I am happy that I did not.

Get used to shattering if you want to play a mesmer. Feel free to use my guide for the information it offers besides the shatter stuff, but I fear there might not be too much to be found…

in Mesmer

dreamer.3925

What about more of a phantasm-based reflection build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Dungeons have fallen off since the nerd to rewards and that’s really the only place mesmer a needed reflects…
As dissapointing as it might be anet reworked mesmer to make shattering more available and playable in all game modes so you’ll really just have to get used to it. Sure you can still leave phantasms up for a few attacks but the way we are set up now you lose out by not shattering. It used to be the opposite.
If you have heart of thorns then just be pre paired to head for chronomancer later on. Shattering plays a big part in keeping cool downs low and keeping you alive in various game modes.
If you have your heart set on playing a purely pet class then pick up ranger or try a necro minion master. If those don’t do it for you then maybe find a second game to scratch that itch.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

(edited by Swish.2463)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

As Swish said, you cannot remove shatter mechanics from mesmer anymore… Reflect is laughable in PvE, so is phantasms and clones’ survivability even when traited.
Even if your shatter do not serve an offensive purpose, they can be very defensive because of healing and condis clean…
Mesmer is not the class for pets, it’s a micro managing one that uses phantasms more like an assassin would use his traps in Diablo… in less intensive.

in Mesmer

dreamer.3925

I’m not hungering for a pet class per se, I’m just looking to play mesmer as something other than shatter. The whole process of building up clones, managing where they are, then shattering and restarting just isn’t fun to me. I’ve seen plenty of guides indicating that we are used for reflection/condi removal, along with other things. I’m not trying to be top notch top tier player in a top level guild either. Something along the lines of these builds:

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Fractal_Phantasm

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_S/S_/F_/P

(edited by dreamer.3925)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jacob.4280

Jacob.4280

the build u posted is just old…
The thing the chrono brings to table is the ability to shatter phantasms without loosing them at the same time, coz they get resummoned once after shatter.
U definitely can play withou shattering, u just give up on all the boosts and good things the shattering brings on the table, like more alacrity for yourselve, more frequent phantasm attacks, more condi cleanse and so on.

Discusing this, while ur still leveling has no purpose tho, u just need to level up and get into it.

For lvling Id suggest domination/illusions/dueling – that brings the most dmg (personal and phantasm).
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAsdRnsICFohlpBmoBUrhlUDq8DnoAkDoEBA9LrZ7A-TxBBwASUCC4UAgT9Ha7PkXfgRlfBeCAkBAfKA-e
The reason for Signed of Inspiration and focus offhand is coz its perma swiftness for you, mesmer is really slow withou that and before u get hand on chrono. Swap mantra for Portal when needed or Mimic for more mobility.

For dungeons utility dmg support Id suggest Illusions/Inspiration/Domination
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAsdRnsICFohlpBuqBUrhlUDC9LrZ7nRpIJhcAlIAA-TxBBwAAOFABeCA4U/Jv+Aa7PYU5nElgkBAfKA-e
That provides reflects, quickness and more quickness if u use Signet of Inspiration after Time Warp. Swap SoI or Feedback for Portal when needed.

On both builds swap the last traitline to chrono once u can.

In dungeons u might find no need for the greatsword, then swap it for sword or pistol and change the GS trait in domination to the shatter one.
In open world Id sugges u to keep the greatsword, coz its much easier to tag events with it, and the phantasm is able to dish out the quick dmg u need on most encounters.

(edited by Jacob.4280)