News Mesmer Ability Idea - Wall of Misdirection

in Mesmer

Posted by: EvGenius.6208

EvGenius.6208

Hello everyone!

Today I’d like to introduce an idea of a new mesmer ability.

Ability that has a chance to become one of the staple and most often used mesmer abilities that at the same time takes skill to use properly.

Wall of misdirection
Place a wall on the ground that changes movement direction of foes who enter to the opposite.

Usage
Use against enemies who popped charge/speed boost skills like “Ride the Lightning” and “Bull’s Charge”. That will cause foe to charge in the opposite direction from where they hit the wall effectively being a counter to those abilities.
Use in the middle of the fight to cause confusion between foes – but at the same time they won’t get any conditions or crowd control effects on them.

Interesting points
*This skill unlike guardian walls and bubbles wouldn’t require any boon to pass through – just backpedal or reverse dodge roll into it. That will cause you to change your movement direction and you’ll reach the target behind the wall.
*This skill feels very mesmer-y and would be a great addition to the mesmer set of abilities.
*The right usage of the skill would be a trademark of good mesmer players – for example pop it right before being hit by charge and enjoy the confusion of enemy.

Your feedback
Please give your input about which slot this skill should be put in (weapon slot, which #? Utility slot?)

Please suggest good recharge time for this skill. I personally think it should be 30+ seconds.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

1. Utility or Elite slot so it at least vaguely competes with Feedback and other stuff.

2. Recharge >45 seconds at a minimum.

3. Mesmers really don’t need more area control / denial capabilities. Curtain/Feedback are already pretty brutal. But, it would be rather funny.

4. I think the most complex part is attempting to code exactly what would be reflected and what would not be reflected. I don’t think this part is easy to identify or categorize except on a skill-by-skill basis, which would be manually intensive and difficult to maintain over time. I don’t think there’s any existing flag in the game (that is apparent to players anyways) that indicates a player “in fast motion”.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

(edited by EasymodeX.4062)

in Mesmer

Posted by: HandBanana.8701

HandBanana.8701

I love it. This fits perfectly into what a Mesmer’s job is and that is to create confusion. In the end it is easily counter able and not as strong as the guardian dome but it would be beautiful to watch it used against a zerg.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mafestus.9130

Mafestus.9130

I like the idea, but you also have to consider that most mesmer abilities have a “good for me/bad for you” concept. In sticking with that, what benefit would this provide for the user’s allies? Also, could this also be used in a combo field (ethereal or light)?

in Mesmer

EvGenius.6208

1. Utility or Elite slot so it at least vaguely competes with Feedback and other stuff.
2. Recharge >45 seconds at a minimum.

I like it. Elite with 45 sec recharge like one of thief’s.

I don’t think there’s any existing flag in the game (that is apparent to players anyways) that indicates a player “in fast motion”.

No, it’ll redirect any motion, not just fast motion. But it’d make less sense to use it on regular motion because it’ll be easy to counter while the fast motion leaves less time to react.

like the idea, but you also have to consider that most mesmer abilities have a “good for me/bad for you” concept. In sticking with that, what benefit would this provide for the user’s allies? Also, could this also be used in a combo field (ethereal or light)?

Providing some sort of boon might make this ability too strong.
Combo field definitely yes.

(edited by EvGenius.6208)

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

I like it. Elite with 45 sec recharge like one of thief’s.

45s recharge if it lasts less than 2.0 seconds. For better usability, I would say a 3-4s duration with a 180s recharge.

No, it’ll redirect any motion, not just fast motion. But it’d make less sense to use it on regular motion because it’ll be easy to counter while the fast motion leaves less time to react.

So it’s almost just like a Guardian wall, except it ignores Stability.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

EvGenius.6208

45s recharge if it lasts less than 2.0 seconds. For better usability, I would say a 3-4s duration with a 180s recharge.

180 sec for such ability is too high recharge. This ability doesn’t apply any conditions or crowd control on foes.

So it’s almost just like a Guardian wall, except it ignores Stability.

There is no knockdown – players don’t lose control of their character – that’s a huge difference. They just start walking opposite direction they entered the wall.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

That is crowd control EvGenius. Even if they’re just forced to turn around and walk away, it’s really no different from any other CC in the game.

in Mesmer

EvGenius.6208

That is crowd control EvGenius. Even if they’re just forced to turn around and walk away, it’s really no different from any other CC in the game.

I hope I don’t need to explain the difference between daze, stun, knock back and change of the movement direction?

Technically yes this is a form of crowd control but ‘mild’ as it doesn’t cause you to lose control of your character. After being misdirected you still can use all of your skills as well as move in any direction and perform dodge rolls.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ash.5703

Ash.5703

Although the concept idea is nice, but why not improve it a little.

Seeing mesmers’ abilities are all about confusing and playing mind tricks, lets have the wall to “teleport” the enemy back few feets away (might function same as a knockback).

Or put up an AoE ground spell that if any enemy stands on it will have a max of 5 enemies/players be randomly teleported a few distances away from your field (just like your downed #2 skill but on a reverse skill for your enemy)

But the one that I really love to see if somekind of a “Mind Control”, throw it on an enemy and let him have is first maybe 3 attacks to hit his nearest ally/friendly unit.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

I’d like to see also WASD inversion, like in some old ps1 games
Right arrow (press D): turn left xD

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

in Mesmer

Posted by: Supervillain.8617

Supervillain.8617

I like the idea of a momentum redirecting wall, but that might be extremely difficult to code with the way some “fast movement” skills are done. I don’t know about Bull’s Charge, but Ride the Lightning seems to act more like a slow teleport than a charge skill.

What really got my attention was Ash’s “Mind Control” idea, so I’m going to try to expand on that.

What about a circle field, similar to Null Field, Chaos Storm, and Time Warp that affects enemies inside it and causes their ally/enemy targeting to switch temporarily? This sort of mechanic is already used to some degree in Twilight Arbor’s story mode, against the mesmer boss that morphs people into cats.

Naturally, this would be extremely powerful, requiring an elite slot with a short duration and moderate to long recharge, and possibly even a significant cast time.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zexion.5842

zexion.5842

If everyone was keyboard turners this would work. However they are not and this skill will have almost no effect in PvP making it worthless.

Now make the foe force to walk the opposite direction for like 2 seconds then it would work.