Pairing a Weapon with a Staff

in Mesmer

Posted by: Khalesia.3167

Khalesia.3167

Right now I’m mostly Power Vit and Condition Damage with traits and gear, and am wondering what you guys normally pair with your staff as the main weapon for PvE purposes?

Staff – mid range wep
GS – long ranged wep
I don’t particularly like this setup in dungeons because you’re usually stuck in tight spaces with mobs in your face or are forced to stay out far from a boss with mobs in your face. Somehow I don’t feel like the two fit my playing style and compliment each other well..

Secondary weapon using a scepter is meh, but prob good for condition builds with staff, but idk.

Right now though I’m using Staff with Sword/Focus.
Maybe I should switch out Focus for Pistol? It seems a bit hard to pair the staff with another weapon that compliments each other well (like GS/Swordd+offhand build focusing on bleeding/weakness).

What does everyone think about weapon pairing choices with the staff on a power/vit/cond build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Koega.8653

Koega.8653

I think it really depends how you like to play. I personally use Staff / GS (sometimes Scepter/Focus). I think a common misconception with the greatsword is that many think it’s only a long range weapon. When you’re auto-attacking, then yes range is better with greatsword because of the scale in damage, but when you are wanting to burst with mirror blade, mid-close range is better (especially with illusionary elasticity for the extra bounce).

As a side comment, staff is a mid-close ranged weapon. Mid-ranged until you drop a chaos storm, then I jump right in close range (usually barely out of melee range from my foe) to gain the benefits of all the boons that thing tosses out. Plus with illusionary elasticity, you’re getting an extra bounce on your winds of chaos.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Soulus.4308

Soulus.4308

I think it really depends how you like to play. I personally use Staff / GS (sometimes Scepter/Focus). I think a common misconception with the greatsword is that many think it’s only a long range weapon. When you’re auto-attacking, then yes range is better with greatsword because of the scale in damage, but when you are wanting to burst with mirror blade, mid-close range is better (especially with illusionary elasticity for the extra bounce).

As a side comment, staff is a mid-close ranged weapon. Mid-ranged until you drop a chaos storm, then I jump right in close range (usually barely out of melee range from my foe) to gain the benefits of all the boons that thing tosses out. Plus with illusionary elasticity, you’re getting an extra bounce on your winds of chaos.

I agree with this, when I find myself using staff I pair it up with sword/focus or pistol (depends on how I feel :P) as when you are dropping chaos storm you are fairly close to the enemy/ies if you are getting the boons so I switch to sword and attack at melee. The #2 skill Blurred Frenzy is really nice ^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Verone.1063

Verone.1063

I run a full power/vit/condition dmg build with a focus on confusion and shattering.
Right now I’m using a staff with scepter/sword as the second set.
It’s hard to pair a staff up but scepter seems the best (if you’re using confusion, if not then go for sword/pistol or sword/focus)