Phantasm Build?

Phantasm Build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taril.8619

Taril.8619

So… Started leveling a Mesmer and was wondering if a build focused around Phantasms would work (Primarily PvE)

Was thinking
S/P + GS
0/30/5/25/10 (II, IV, IX) (V, IV) (III)

Was wondering if anyone had tried this/know if it’ll work at all (My plan is to try and get 3x Duelists up for Single Target DPS while using Berserkers for AoE)

“Pull the trigger, move out ahead,
There’s two kinds of people… The quick and the dead”

Phantasm Build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

I don’t like phantasm builds because,

1. It takes forever to get 3 phantasms up
2. They can die to AoE and other aggro
3. Only really viable on longer boss fights where the phantasms don’t die quickly

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

Phantasm Build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Darzinth.7960

Darzinth.7960

Phantasm build is fine. Even one phantasm is useful, especially once it gets to +70% hp + regeneration. You just need to make use of critical bleed and clones that apply conditions already.

I’m not saying to use Sword/(Pistol/Focus) + Staff, but its a good combo.

Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Celestial Apocalypse
Mesmer – Krissadi | Warrior – Bloodpriest Rosette

Phantasm Build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taril.8619

Taril.8619

1. It takes forever to get 3 phantasms up

True, but with decreased cooldown on phantasm creation (12 CD for Duelist on this build) it takes a lot less time, weapon swapping can also bring out 2 offensive phantasms quickly and of course having a clone out while building phantasms doesn’t hurt (Especially with Sword MH allowing Vulnerability stacks to build quickly) should mitigate some of the issues with the delay of getting them out.

2. They can die to AoE and other aggro

Hopefully the increased health + range on the phantasms should help prevent AoE from hitting them (I’ve not noticed them getting aggro unless they’re the first ones to be hit or somthing spawns/patrols into them)

3. Only really viable on longer boss fights where the phantasms don’t die quickly

I’ve noticed the Berserker does decent damage in AoE situations even if not out for long (With Fury, Retaliation and 15% increased damage it should boost short term damage output)

This is of course taking into account that Phantasms won’t be the only damage output from such a build, I was contemplating gearing heavily for Power/Crit/Crit Damage to bolster the naturally high damage that comes from GS and MH S.

Which shouldn’t be too different from a Shatter build hopefully (Replacing Burst damage with higher sustained damage)

“Pull the trigger, move out ahead,
There’s two kinds of people… The quick and the dead”

Phantasm Build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: athuria.2751

athuria.2751

Outside of champions and bosses you’re probably not going to have enough time in the fight in PvE to frequently get up three duelists/berzerkers (unless you just really drag it out), but since only compounding power and phantasmal healing benefit from having multiple phantasms up (since they can plant regeneration on each other) and the extra damage is lost anyway because your enemy dies so fast you probably don’t need to have so many phantasms up a lot anyway.

If you’re going to use them as mostly damage causers I’d also grab phantasmal haste (20 in Illusions) to speed up their attacks as iDuelist and Berkzerker both have really long recharge times. I’d take the last 10 out of dueling or the 5 from dueling/5 from chaos and move them over.

Also, for a build that relies on maintaining phantasms both toughness and you’re own ability to fight and carry enemy aggro can go a long way towards keeping your phantasms from getting one-shotted and immediately beat down, because they are a fragile mechanic. I wouldn’t suggest glass cannon gear like Berzerker’s.

Syrlya | Sylvari Mesmer
Arabelle Jones | Human Engineer
Stormbluff Isle

Phantasm Build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Yeah power/precision/toughness for phantasms would be best stats for this type of build. Phantasms don’t gain anything from your vitality.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |