Portal needs a timer

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: ianifique.4962

ianifique.4962

Seriously, I’ve just started playing mesmer, and i took one minute to realise a major flaw in the portal utility skill. I’m no instant genius, I know a lot of people must be aware, but how can it still be there after all this time? When you place the portal entre, you have 60 seconds to place the exit, but you have no idea when the 60 seconds is gonna end! Most of the time all you need is reach destination and place the second portal, but sometimes you prefer waiting longer to have more people rdy/better timing, but there’s no icon to help us, so we can easily fail to place the second one because the timer runs out!

The thief has this skill, sword skill 2: infiltrator’s strike, which switches to shadow return and gives you 15 seconds to activate it to return to your original location, and it has a timer icon to help, which flashes when its about to run out, just like many skills, including conjured weapons.

If so many skills have effect icon to help, conjures, mantras, etc., then portal needs to have this basic fonctionnality. It may be only a detail to some people, but just like Guild Wars 1, Guild Wars 2 improves every day with every detail

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Yes, it needs a timer.

It also needs a range indicator.

It needs a dramatic duration reduction in PvE,

and a minor duration reduction in WvW.

Portal needs a lot of quality of life improvements. One day the devs might look at it again and, if people have cried about it enough, they’ll know to clean it up.

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Why would you reduce the dura? o.O

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

Dramatic duration reduction in PvE? Oh yes, I forgot about all the high level fractal speed runs that abuse portal’s 10 second duration. I’m sure reducing that to 3s will fix all those problems.

(Seriously, what’s the problem with portal in PvE? Jumping puzzles?)

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cskibinski.9261

Cskibinski.9261

Are there any other classes with skills that currently have range indicators? I can’t think of any…but sometimes it’s just difficult to guess how far you can go and I have seen so many instances of golem ports that don’t activate because the exit is out of range (including my own).

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

Are there any other classes with skills that currently have range indicators? I can’t think of any…but sometimes it’s just difficult to guess how far you can go and I have seen so many instances of golem ports that don’t activate because the exit is out of range (including my own).

Easy, you already have a range indicator on all skills. If a target will be out of range, a red bar appears. If this bar appears on the second portal icon the instant you run out of range, you notice and can go back. Problem solved ._.

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cskibinski.9261

Cskibinski.9261

@ Meluna
Seems like the perfect solution to me

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Why would you reduce the dura? o.O

Rofl, that was supposed to be a CD reduction.

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Ah, then I agree.

Yes. I was thinking we could do something like this:

WvW

• 10s duration
  • 90s CD
  • 15 charges, of which 1 is reserved for the Mesmer

sPvP

• 15s duration
  • 30s CD
  • 1 charge which regenerates every 3 seconds

PvE

• 25s duration
  • 30s CD
  • 5 charges, 3 regenerate every 5 seconds
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I have to mention that the CD also resembles the uptime before opening it and 30 sec is too low in PvE for that. Image wanna help someone who just died at a JP, rezz and … oh wait .. already over. ^^

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Ah, then I agree.

WvW

• 10s duration
  • 90s CD

sPvP

• 15s duration
  • 30s CD

PvE

• 25s duration
  • 30s CD

WvW needs at least 20, if only because unless you’re an uber guild, you’re probably running with around 20 people. If some people are going to get left behind due to there being to few charges, the skill immediately becomes unviable in your kitten nal of tactics. You can bridge the gap with more mesmers, but sometimes there just aren’t any.

(edited by Ross Biddle.2367)

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Ah, then I agree.

WvW

• 10s duration
  • 90s CD

sPvP

• 15s duration
  • 30s CD

PvE

• 25s duration
  • 30s CD

I doubt ANet would ever consider a 15s duration on a 30s cooldown in sPvP. As I recall the main reason why the cooldown on Portal was increased to 90s (up from 30s originally?) was because of sPvP and the main reason the charges were nerfed from infinite to 20 (?) was because of WvW.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Because? Did you have a grudge against some mesmer that refused to port you?

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

Zoom your minimap all the way in, when you get (from the middle) to the edge of the minimap then thats the distance you can go with portal. By the time you get there it will still be active.
This is used in WvW, i’m sure the same should apply to pve.

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Because? Did you have a grudge against some mesmer that refused to port you?

rofl, read on, you’ll see I put duration in place of cd reduction.

Portal needs a timer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Easy, you already have a range indicator on all skills. If a target will be out of range, a red bar appears. If this bar appears on the second portal icon the instant you run out of range, you notice and can go back. Problem solved ._.

This. I’d be happy with a red bar on the icon so that I don’t have to screw with my mini map as a jerry rigged range finder when I need that zoomed out for emergency waypointing as much as possible.