Portals - Time to get rid of it

in Mesmer

Posted by: HunterP.6102

HunterP.6102

I know this may not be popular but I’ve started to get sick of portals.

Portal as it is has two uses.

1. For the mesmer in the group to do all the jumping and work while the rest of the team eat crisps and drink coke till he’s done.

2. To cheat the game i.e. The fractals where you return the whisps (Swampland Fractal), why bother learning how to get back when you can just use portal.

I’m getting pretty bored of every fractal or dungeon I’m in just boils down to “Do a portal mes!”

I learnt to jump and avoid attacks while the other classes got fat and lazy.

Discuss..

in Mesmer

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

Portal as it is has two uses.

1. For the mesmer in the group to do all the jumping and work while the rest of the team eat crisps and drink coke till he’s done.

2. To cheat the game i.e. The fractals where you return the whisps (Swampland Fractal), why bother learning how to get back when you can just use portal.

I’m getting pretty bored of every fractal or dungeon I’m in just boils down to “Do a portal mes!”

I learnt to jump and avoid attacks while the other classes got fat and lazy.

Discuss..

I wouldn’t remove it, but certainly limit its uses in dungeons. In pvp, it can be a game-changer.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Hehe, fair point.

I agree with you, and no one should feel obliged to use portal just because other players tell you to. If you feel in a generous mood then say yes. If you don’t feel like it then everyone should be able to shift their own weight.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

@HunterP, How can you claim it only have those two uses? It one of the absolute strongers solo gameplay utilitys a mesmer have and make us one of the most effective solo/smal team roamers in wvwvw.

I add a solo portal guide I did a while ago to explain.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: HunterP.6102

HunterP.6102

Osicat, yeah sorry you’re right I did totally forget about WvW.

My main gripe was about dungeons and fractals, but yeah it is awesome in WvW.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

Why is it a cheat? You don’t always have a mesmer so you gota learn the hard way but when you do have one our portal makes a few things easier. Why is it cheating using a game mechanic that is working perfectly?

in Mesmer

Posted by: smilko.4056

smilko.4056

I mostly play PvE and I do a lot of fractals with my mesmer. Funny thing is, I always take the whisp that is furthest from the ’’statues’’ and I never use a portal. Why? because I don’t need it.

And nobody’s forcing you to use it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shifty.7104

Shifty.7104

Auto attack is also totally ruining the whole point of pressing buttons, it is just giving people fat hands and lazy fingers.

Nuff said

in Mesmer

Posted by: Usagi.4835

Usagi.4835

Is this like that time eles asked for Swirling Winds to be nerfed lol?

Commander Chocolate Teapot | Prettier than you | Forum damsel in distress

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Who said you had to use it, I run Mesmer, and the portal can vastly help my team in some situations, no one said you had to take the short cut…..

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

The interesting thing about your complaint, Hunter, is that it has nothing to do with portal and everything to do with you. People can ask for a portal. If you want to do it, you can do it. If you don’t want to do it you simply say “No”. It seems as though what’s happening is that you don’t want to do it, but you’re saying yes. Why do you do this? There’s a good question to ask yourself.

You can take it or leave it but here’s one suggestion. By not wanting to but saying yes you’re actually empowering yourself, in your own mind, to have some weird sort of legitimate complaint. What you need to realize is that this issue you’re having, it has nothing to do with portals, and EVERYTHING to do with you, your thinking, and your behavior. Think about that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Portal is great for forward planning…. You can even get a couple hats tipped to you if you use it properly during fights (port out heal up+mass invis back in NUKE!!!!!)

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Davrollen.8935

Davrollen.8935

It shouldn’t be removed but I frequently complain to friends about being the “portal kitten” and I avoid it at all costs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Marius.8052

Marius.8052

I’m a mesmer and NO do not nerf or touch portals in anyway. I like my shortcuts.

in Mesmer

Posted by: bubblyball.7591

bubblyball.7591

Why not remove all the class specific skills and all play warriors with different looks instead? :/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Theres more;
- the boulders of CoF Path 1.
- when an enemy is approaching for a 1v1, you plonk your first part down and then drag the enemy away and: if you win, you win. if you are gonna die, you can put the second part down and get away.
I agree, its not fair since you are EXPECTED to portal people when they ask, like in jumping puzzles your allies /sleep /sit on the ground drinking their coke and eating their mcdonalds, slumping on there chairs while they just have to press F and be like 90% up. Replace it with a nice dps AoE or a swiftness ability plz

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Theres more;
- when an enemy is approaching for a 1v1, you plonk your first part down and then drag the enemy away and: if you win, you win. if you are gonna die, you can put the second part down and get away.
I agree, its not fair since you are EXPECTED to portal people when they ask, like in jumping puzzles your allies /sleep /sit on the ground drinking their coke and eating their mcdonalds, slumping on there chairs while they just have to press F and be like 90% up. Replace it with a nice dps AoE or a swiftness ability plz

They can’t hold a gun to your head and demand that you use portal. You CAN say no! It is your skill. If they don’t like it, play with people that won’t give you flak for playing the way you want to. It is a game afterall. If you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right.

On the flipside, if you join a CoF speedrun, you are willingly accepting your role and all the responsibilities that come with it. It would be unethical to refuse to use portal when you have joined on the assumption that competing the dungeon as fast as possible is the ultimate goal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Theres more;

They can’t hold a gun to your head and demand that you use portal. You CAN say no! It is your skill. If they don’t like it, play with people that won’t give you flak for playing the way you want to. It is a game afterall. If you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right.

On the flipside, if you join a CoF speedrun, you are willingly accepting your role and all the responsibilities that come with it. It would be unethical to refuse to use portal when you have joined on the assumption that competing the dungeon as fast as possible is the ultimate goal.

Makes sense, i am normally a generous player and i portal ppl up on jps and do p1 cof fine, though its just annoying like in JPs your allies dont have to do anything when we have to jump and take our time on the jumping puzzle. they sit there drinking coke eating their mcdonalds and KFC slumped on the chair going: wheres the portal?

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in Mesmer

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Sounds like the problem is with you, TC. You don’t have to take the portal, you don’t have to use it, you can do things you own way. Remember, it’s a choice.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Next time they say ‘Portal pls’, you say ‘10s pls’.

Reminds me of my old WoW days where you gave Mages a tip for making you a portal.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Reminds me of my old WoW days where you gave Mages a tip for making you a portal.

This is what you do! Make them pay for your services. If they refuse, they have two good legs and better mobility powers than you to complete the jp on their own.

Then YOU can sit there drinking coke eating your mcdonalds and KFC slumped on the chair going: aren’t you guys here yet?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

This is what you do! Make them pay for your services. If they refuse, they have two good legs and better mobility powers than you to complete the jp on their own.

Then YOU can sit there drinking coke eating your mcdonalds and KFC slumped on the chair going: aren’t you guys here yet?

Hahah, Mesmers Unionize Now!! This would be hilarious.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Karmasutra.9351

Karmasutra.9351

Hahah, Mesmers Unionize Now!! This would be hilarious.

Use portals to make money for all the gear we have to replace. Works for me!

(edited by Karmasutra.9351)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

You people are just strange… I really like to help people with portal in jps! It’s nice being able to save some work from your friends or even from complete strangers too. In fact, I find a lot more joy from portaling people up than from the actual jumping puzzle.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Friends get in free. Strangers gotta pay.

#Portals4Profit

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Mesmer

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

As a mesmer I usually don’t use portal.

The last time I used it was for my bf because there was a tricky/ annoying jump in a jumping puzzle and we just thought we would be better off with using it. ^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

As a mesmer I usually don’t use portal.

The last time I used it was for my bf because there was a tricky/ annoying jump in a jumping puzzle and we just thought we would be better off with using it. ^^

Your name conjures up nightmares from my past.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Mesmer

Navi.7142

Ahahhahaha.. xD
No, I am sorry, for me it’s just the short form of my mesmer’s name (Navannia).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

It sounds like you just have super lazy friends.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I’m getting sick of people getting sick of Portal. So?

All it needs is a PvP/PvE/WvW split:

• In PvE Portal gets a 30s duration, 30s CD, doesn’t activate until the first port which also locks the Portal to that person.
  • In sPvP, Portal allows up to 3 different people to use it, gets -25s duration and -15s CD, activates immediately.
  • In WvW, Portal allows up to 5 different people to use it but always (in addition to that) allows the Mesmer passage. Gets -15s duration but +30s CD.

This way the functionality is the same, but each version is slightly optimized to it’s environment. The single-person limitation in PvE prevents dungeon abuse, instead making it a tool for connecting areas during combat or to free a single person from being stuck in a wall.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

in Mesmer

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

Don’t touch my portal! They won’t get rid of it, though, because they’ve already said they are giving portal to other classes eventually.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Why not remove all the class specific skills and all play warriors with different looks instead? :/

Why stop at looks?

Reskin everyone as the thickest chucklehead Norn and give everone CoF armour skin. Perfect game balance.

in Mesmer

Aveneo.2068

Don’t touch my portal! They won’t get rid of it, though, because they’ve already said they are giving portal to other classes eventually.

Yep, personally I think Engineers and Necromancers would be the most logical choices to bask in portal-goodness alongside Mesmers!

But knowing ANet they’ll probably give them to Warriors and Thieves…

in Mesmer

Navi.7142

Yeah, but the warrior needs to be buffed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Don’t remove the ability, give it to more professions. Spread the love.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Mesmer

Aveneo.2068

Yeah, but the warrior needs to be buffed.

Over my dead Kit Refinement!
Warriors need no more buffs! The time is now for the underdogs and my Engineer Vyxxi wants her Portable Asura Gate!