Preferred main weapon for PVE

in Mesmer

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

What is your preferred weapon for PVE? For me I’m not totally sure and wanted to see what others felt was the best.

Certified Gameaholic

in Mesmer

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Sword. Best damage on auto attack, boon strip, vuln, offhands.

There’s really nothing else.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Staff. No explanation needed.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Staff. No explanation needed.

Please tell me you’re joking.

@OP: There’s a stickied thread called ‘How to Mesmer in dungeons’. It should have all the answers you need.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Titus.2085

Titus.2085

Dungeon wise, your attacks and how you plan to beat a boss will revolve around the sword plus another damaging off-weapon. Most likely the focus and pistol.

In the world of Tyria where you want to roam around, beat up generic veterans, or complete events, there are a lot of variety that are associated with power. What I use is my greatsword and my sword-pistol/focus.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

On my own, Staff and Scepter/Focus, no really. Condition shatters are actually somewhat fun in PvE, if you’re on your own and not a liability to someone who wants to kill stuff as fast as possible. Fun recipe: Lots o’ AoE Torment, kite away, watch them all die trying to get to you. Do your evil laugh. Repeat.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

plus another damaging off-weapon. Most likely the focus and pistol.

Sword offhand > Pistol offhand for most of the encounters.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My favourite combination is Scepter/Pistol, but in dungeons I usually switch this out to Sword/Focus. Staff is always my second swap weapon.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

2H axes. Too bad that I have to play another game to get the feels…

in Mesmer

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Main hand is always sword/X. Sword gives too much goodies (cleave, boon strip and vuln all in one neat AA package) to use anything else. All of the offhands give something to add to sword, each with it’s own unique add on. I can’t see the torment scepter really being able to replace that.

Favorite weapon however, for me is staff. It gives so much utility and kiting ability and has a nice AoE. The clones are useful and with the IE change coming, they will be something not to take lightly like other clones are. Also, my favorite skin in game is a staff, so that might be also part of my bias toward the weapon. Kasmeer’s staff is so pretty and so very mesmer!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

S/S + S/F because Focus utility is so good even with borked Wardens.
Usually camp Focus, depending on the fight. Will swap to any combination of S/S S/F S/P GS depending on dungeon/fight (example: S/S + S/P for Risen Abomination in Arah, S/T + S/F for Jotun because Blind + non-intrusive dps is nice, GS is good when you need reliable range, see: bad groups at Lupi [although I tend to melee unless people who are bad follow me in and give him grubs and shove him off wall]).
For fractals, I add in Sc/P and Staff to the mix.

Torch used for running, alongside Traveler runes. Else, camp Assassins + Ranger runes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

Open world staff+GS for maximum tagging (if you want to farm some gold with other people), for dungeons read the answers above.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelthien.8593

Kelthien.8593

GS for general open world stuff. iZerker, dodge-roll in, Mirror Blade, shatter is usually enough to demolish most enemies.

It also lets me stay at range, which is both safer and easier for target-swapping.