Prismatic Understanding - Can't make it work

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I see posts about massive protection from prismatic understanding, I’ve been using it and the most I see is 6 seconds, which while nice is not the 30+ seconds I’ve been hearing about.

What am I missing?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Scizzor.8137

Scizzor.8137

I’m guessing that they are built for boon duration then. Put simply, unless you spec into boon duration you aren’t going to get that high of a duration. MI alone can grant you up to 18 seconds of protection (very large amount of RNG, you could possibly get none…)

Specing for the +110% boon duration (Runes – 40%, Trait line- 30%, and Boon food – 40%) could very easily grant over 30 seconds of regen, protection, or aegis.

(edited by Scizzor.8137)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Photoloss.4817

Photoloss.4817

And don’t forget you can chain Mass Invisibility with Decoy, The Prestige and even Desperate Decoy (cast Decoy at 25% HP trait), with each gaining an additional second of stealth duration. Plus now you can stand in a non-threatening AoE to get even more procs off Chaos Armor.

in Mesmer

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

yup…or just get a thief friend. Bring signet of inspiration, so he doesn’t feel left out.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samiell.1259

Samiell.1259

Max protection is something like 51 seconds, I can’t recal max regen and max aegis is just ridiculous. Superior water, major water, superior monk, Omnomberry cream and 30points in Chaos. All I run is veil, mass invis and cd reduction on torch. 30 seconds is easy. Toss in Signet of Insperation for more goodness.

Black Ops supply line disruptions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Maximum protection seems to be 1 minute, but if you are at 53 seconds, lets say, and your next proc applies 7.5 seconds, it won’t register, it has to stay under 60.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

Makes sence. Any proc on protection that adds to more than 60 goes kaput.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Fought a mes with stealth spec the other night. Couldn’t kill her for the life of me. Ton’s of stealth and constant protection. My mind wrack wasn’t hitting for squat because of the protection.

On the other hand you can’t kill anyone that’s half decent when you go that deep into toughness. Her damage was horrible and I would have had to stand still for her to kill me.

Meh, I’ve tried 20-20-30 with full boon duration. It seemed ok but personally I’m not a fan of heavily defensive specs.

You can always get 4 runes of altruism and 2 water if you want to test out this kind of spec.

in Mesmer

TooBz.3065

Yeah, I’ve been playing around with 30 in Chaos and so far haven’t seen it as a very big deal. But because I haven’t seen long protection numbers I figured I must be doing it wrong.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Yeah the damage is pretty lackluster. I have 20-20-30-0-0 with Lyssa runes and traited signets (distortion and condition removal).

Pretty hard to kill, but it’s also hard to kill or hold someone. Going back to GS with same utilities and traits, without torch.

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

The 20/20/30/0/0 is more of a support style build. Anything turned more dps from that trait allotment, from my experience, works best as a condition build with light emphasis on phantasms and clones.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNArfWlwzipXUzmGb9IipH9WwBckUoavWJF42FC-jEDBINCi0CIUgAUHRMHqIaslgBpKKa1XhVDBTliIq2bAzdgIqWKAIWDA-w is what I’ve used for dps spec. Works pretty well but it’s slow as hell. Only thing that saves it is torment and poison.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

20/20/30 can be a strong power or condition build, not only support.
If you trait for that boons duration you cant expect outstanding damage.

(edited by Levitas.1953)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

Can you change your kittening topic tittle, you want more nerfs or what?

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in Mesmer

TooBz.3065

Can you change your kittening topic tittle, you want more nerfs or what?

Done

in Mesmer

Samiell.1259

Power interior build works pretty well. What makes me keep playing with the 20/20/30/0/0 is how many build variations there are by only swapping gear and traits.
So far I have 4 distinctly separate builds. The build expanding patch was just that. It messed some stuff up but threw in lots of options for other directions to go. Some work some don’t but they’re there all the same.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xelnok.2397

Xelnok.2397

Here’s a shameless plug for the video I just uploaded, it’s a 20/20/30 power build, it has insane dps, the nice thing about PU is there is no need to play defensive because it already gives you defensive boons, so you can go 100% dps with gear and traits.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Video-WvW-Roaming-Stealth-Phantasm-Build

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Fought a mes with stealth spec the other night. Couldn’t kill her for the life of me. Ton’s of stealth and constant protection. My mind wrack wasn’t hitting for squat because of the protection.

On the other hand you can’t kill anyone that’s half decent when you go that deep into toughness. Her damage was horrible and I would have had to stand still for her to kill me.

Meh, I’ve tried 20-20-30 with full boon duration. It seemed ok but personally I’m not a fan of heavily defensive specs.

You can always get 4 runes of altruism and 2 water if you want to test out this kind of spec.

I disagree, i am 30into Chaos and i do fine 1 Vs 1, even won quite a few out numbered fights. Though i am not built for Boon duration, think mines around 20% or something.

Though that would be a very interesting build. I use Decoy, Mass Invis and some times the Torch so wouldnt be to bad

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

I agree its really flexible, after all there is a reason if you can change traits ooc.
Im not sure if this is what anet called build diversity but still nice.

@ArmageddonAsh: If you have 30 in chaos you cant have 20% boon duration (wrong button?). If you build for condition damage (as i think i read in other threads) yes its really efficient.

(edited by Levitas.1953)

in Mesmer

Godmoney.2048

Power interior build works pretty well. What makes me keep playing with the 20/20/30/0/0 is how many build variations there are by only swapping gear and traits.
So far I have 4 distinctly separate builds. The build expanding patch was just that. It messed some stuff up but threw in lots of options for other directions to go. Some work some don’t but they’re there all the same.

I was using full Rampager and 4 runes of altruism and 2 waters with the 20-20-30. ( I only ran it for a evening so I really didn’t give it much time)

What have you been using? Please tell me what you’ve had success with.

in Mesmer

Godmoney.2048

I disagree, i am 30into Chaos and i do fine 1 Vs 1, even won quite a few out numbered fights. Though i am not built for Boon duration, think mines around 20% or something.

Though that would be a very interesting build. I use Decoy, Mass Invis and some times the Torch so wouldnt be to bad

30 into toughness gives you a base of 30% boon duration.

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Then its 30% as my gear is Rabid.

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

@ArmageddonAsh: If you have 30 in chaos you cant have 20% boon duration (wrong button?). If you build for condition damage (as i think i read in other threads) yes its really efficient.

Yeah it must be 30% as my gear is Rabid, yeah i am a Condition (mostly Bleed) build and love it, Necro might be the “better” condition class but its just not as fun as Mesmer Condition build ^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Bingo! That’s part 1. Then get Forge Runes and you get another 20% Prot duration, plus a 10 (now 15) second Protection proc when you go below 50% health, on top of inflicting an AE burn. So even for sPvP you have +50% Protection duration. (And a decent bit of Toughness to boot.)

Part 2 is the new CA. Keep that up as much as possible, and it’ll just keep piling on that Protection.

With 30 Chaos you also get the 3s Prot every 15s when you receive Regen, which of course you get off your Phants with 15 Insp.

As stated above though, it’s also a lot about chaining your stealths while letting your illusions work the enemy a bit, and you’ll quickly start to see Protection stack up nicely.

I am currently playing 0/20/30/20/0 in sPvP and I can honestly say that I haven’t had this much fun on my Mesmer in months! It’s probably the most “Mesmerish” build I’ve ever played, at least how I view the Mesmer.

I am a huge PITA to take down, keep track of, etc. all the while you’re getting chewed up from condie’s and debuffs. Torment is also a big component of this, allowing you to attain adequate DPS in 1v1 to be a threat. I’m no pro, but in general sPvP I haven’t run into many people I couldn’t kill 1v1. It’s rarely a quick demise, but with so much Protection and stealth we can be in the fight for the long haul. (even against 2-3 opponents sometimes…yes scrubs, but still! )

in Mesmer

Posted by: Scizzor.8137

Scizzor.8137

I’m using the 20/20/30 setup and I can say I’m not use to being this tanky, but I really like PU. Anyways, I do decent dmg but I’m running a mix of and I’m running with Berserker/Knights/Cavalier’s gear.

I have (around):

Power: 2100
Crit chance: 48%
Crit dmg: 60%
Armor: 2700

It’s really not that shabby.

I have Sup Of Bloodlust on GS, and Might on Switch/+5% crit chance on my Sword/Torch.

This is excluding the boosts from maintenance oils, foods and, sigil stacks.

Definitely one of my favorite builds now for WvW ;D

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

I see posts about massive protection from prismatic understanding, I’ve been using it and the most I see is 6 seconds, which while nice is not the 30+ seconds I’ve been hearing about.

What am I missing?

Look at the build in my signature… I guarantee you will be running around the world with permanent protection. It is a heavy investment into runes and into traits…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer