Putting together a commander build

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

Hey all. I just made a mesmer a few days ago and I’m really enjoying the class. I’ve only had one lvl 80, been playing since beta (re-rolling A LOT + this is a new account, brother has the old one now). This is my second mesmer (I deleted my old one because of not knowing anything about the class, been only up to lvl 20). I’m planning on buying a commander tag for zerging in WvW when I won’t be doing fractals or small team roaming and generally will be in the mood for zerging. I know it is too soon to think about that but I like to be prepared in advance. I’ve tinkered a bit with the builds and I’ve come up with the following build. I did not include portal as I think there are far more useful utilities to use. I was thinking of a mantra build (heal allies for every mantra use, remove conditions, grant stability ect.), but that would require me to go into domination for the 3 casts and that is something I don’t really want to do but I think a mantra build can be very, very good. I took torch instead of focus because I should be getting speed buffs from my zerg and I find the torch has more utility (stealth for me, blind burn for foe + the retaliation phantasm). Signet of inspiration for boon sharing. Illusion of life will be uber useful since a lot of enemies keep dying in zerg fights, when people in my zerg get downed, all they will have to do is tag and they’re fully up.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAW8flwziqHQTnGb9IhpHEH5A/kCl3cUK6O4B-jECBocCyUgwkDBKNqIaslNFRjV1ATnaR16XAA-w

If it’s not clear why I took some of the things in the build, ask and I’ll explain. I’d like help/advice/criticism. Anything that you think should be changed, please do say. Thank you for the time to take a look at the build, have a wonderful day, cheers!

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

So here’s my Mesmer build that I think is most suited for commanding: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-Build-The-Zergmower

The things that you mentioned in your post, such as mantra utilities, signet of inspiration, and other things, are all fantastic things that Mesmer can do. However, you’re talking about a commander build, and that’s a different story.

As a commander, your job description is very specific. You need to not die, be able to lead charges straight into and through an enemy group, and provide a strong point of reference for your group to follow.

The last bit basically means no blinks. A commander isn’t easy to follow if they’re blinking around the battlefield. Not dying and leading charges means that you need hefty defense and preferably some access to stability.

My Zergmower build uses full dire gear to gain strong inherent defense, and uses the stability mantra in conjunction with mimic to allow for breaking through enemy groups without using teleports.

in Mesmer

Jurica.1742

Thank you a lot for the reply. I do realize that I’m supposed to always be the last man standing, that is why I went for Dolyak runes & mostly defensive stats, I wanted to, aside from that, have some great group utility.

I took your build and played around with the traits a bit to try to even further increase the damage output.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQJAWblwzSpXVznGbNJhJFEH5oKcdSPKNqXdpC6G

I went 10 in Dueling for Retalitory Shield since the build will block a lot and that way produce a ton of retaliation damage. The final 10 points go in Illusions for Master of Misdirection since I’ll have confusion from Confusing Enchantments. That will add 1 more second of confusion and the confusion will deal a bit more damage.

What about sword instead of scepter for the blur from Blurred Frenzy? Offhand sword to make up for loosing that block that torch provides? Torch instead of focus for even more burning + blind + invisibility? Thank you again.
Cheers!

EDIT: Fixed some spelling errors.

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jorjeis.2169

Jorjeis.2169

For what it’s worth this is my commander/frontline build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAW7dl4zSpHVznGa9IiZGBHydSB05clZcbXIA-j0BB4iCy0CQEDBOTqIasVTFRjVJjIqWpETKAmkGB-w

I don’t think you want to run the torch as a commander, because stealthing can sometimes detract from you main job which is having people follow you.

The cooldown on illusion of life is absurd and there are better utilities out there, you’re better off leaving that to warrior banners. Also retaliation does not proc if the attack doesn’t hit i.e. it gets blocked or reflected so I don’t think you will be doing much retal damage while mimic is up.

Member of [KnT] – Blackgate

in Mesmer

Jurica.1742

Retaliation is 3.5 seconds. If I get hit 10 times in the 5 seconds mimic is up, that is 35 seconds of retaliation. Minus the 4 .5 seconds of mimic, that is 30.5 seconds of retaliation. By that time, mimic is already re-charged and I can repeat the process. I’ll have perm retaliation on me in that scenario (Unless it doesn’t stack which now when I think about it I’m not sure if it does, does it?). Of course that is an ideal setting but if it happens it will pay off.

Pineapples rule

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Retaliation can stack up to a max of 5 times. So 5×3.5 = 17.5 seconds as soon as mimic ends.

in Mesmer

Jurica.1742

Okay. That’s still good. Minus the 4.5 seconds of blocking is 13 seconds of retaliation. 7 seconds with no retaliation, 4.5 more without due to blocking and 13 seconds with retaliation that is 11.5s vs 13s over 50% retaliation up time.
Cheers!

EDIT: Pressed the wrong keys in some places..

Pineapples rule

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

Build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgEQNAsfWlwzip3UzhGf9ICqHdH49dkK4alewbX4uB-jEyAofBRiREJII0HgsXR0YLjFRjVZjpeJiqlCAmhRA-w
Thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Build-WvW-Blurred-Mes-War-Mes/first#post3440598
yeah maybe, u dont have much support but going first into the correct blob.. while tanking with invuls.. giving opportunities to your group.. with some survival and mobility ability.. from my spec Commanders first priority is choosing the BEST Movement and Timing on correct places.. so if u wanna be player let do commander who can handle that? its my opinion..

or wanna do full support while enough survival? and access to stability and cleanse.. but probably u ll lack movement(cuz of mantra channel cant dodge) can swap signet of inspiration to blink? and probably u ll need 2 guards minimum who can give u stabilities..
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Builds-Various/3412082
:P

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”