QoL Illusions die out of Combat

in Mesmer

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

When you fight a lot of mobs in PvE its hell annoying that all Illusions die when you kill a mob they are targeting. I would love to see a change in a way that Illusions die out of combat but stay alive if you kill a mob and change target.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Personally I would rather have our phantasms act as proper summons and stick around until we shatter them or they are killed. Exactly the same as Necro bone minions. Clones should remain as dying on target death, but phantasms should not

in Mesmer

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Minions are a bit too much especially for phantasm. I can imagine running around with 3 swordsman and nuking my next target. I’d have to agree more with OP’s suggestion though I’m sure there’d be some balancing is that we’re passed.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

Best thing the mesmer class could get is to have phantasms be treated as minions, then we could be properly balanced. Its so hard to balance our damage when so much is dependent on phantasms whether directly or indirectly (shatter fodder).

If Anet would treat them like minions and just assume that we will have their extra damage at all times (ie not being forced to spend the first 30 sec of each fight summoning 3 useful phantasms) then it would be easier to balance the entire class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mithos.9023

Mithos.9023

I had similar thoughts over the last years while playing my Mesmer, as winning always feels more like losing. You defeat a single enemy out of a horde of monsters and in the exact moment you lose all your summons together with most of your skills being on cool down, which leaves you wide open and vulnerable. For the next time all you can do is kite or use our auto attacks, which we can all agree on are absolute garbage.
Especially in some story instances you really feel hopeless as hordes of enemies attack you. For example, “Taimi’s game” is one of those instances where every other class feels way better.
For PvP it would be a bit too much. I can understand why having 3 phantasms permanent active would be a bit of overpowered, but for pve I don’t see a problem here.
I have another idea in mind, our clones could leave a small aoe if they shatter through defeating a target, not through shatter skills. Then defeating an enemy would at least feel somehow rewarding.

We need build and gear-templates!!!!!!!!!!

in Mesmer

savacli.8172

Well, most of the clones/phants are single target so fighting hoards is always a little frustrating, I find. I’m all in favor of having illusions re-target upon the death of the original target or lease should original target run all the way out to Narnia.

The issue I see with minion like Phants is that they pull stats straight from the caster vs all other minions/companions being independent in that aspect (aside from traits that buff them). So the issue in balancing may be that they have to decentralize stat distribution or otherwise severely nerf their damage to compensate for their uptime. Personally, I’m not sure where the right balance is, though I think something like Staff clones feel like it’s in the “right” direction as in their just conduits for the Mesmers power rather than independently having strength by themselves.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

The strengths and weaknesses of a profession eh?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

savacli.8172

The strengths and weaknesses of a profession eh?

Pretty much. Who knows? Maybe Mirage spec will do something to mix up the way Illusions work for those who prefer to have a playstyle that treats Illusions like minions.

Though for core Mesmer I do believe that Illusions do need to break at some point as trying to rebalance them around being more minion like sounds like a nightmare. Maybe give them an internal timer of short? That would be great for mob fights but be terible for boss fights I realize. Again, I dunno, just throwing out ideas at this point.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

Well, most of the clones/phants are single target so fighting hoards is always a little frustrating, I find. I’m all in favor of having illusions re-target upon the death of the original target or lease should original target run all the way out to Narnia.

The issue I see with minion like Phants is that they pull stats straight from the caster vs all other minions/companions being independent in that aspect (aside from traits that buff them). So the issue in balancing may be that they have to decentralize stat distribution or otherwise severely nerf their damage to compensate for their uptime. Personally, I’m not sure where the right balance is, though I think something like Staff clones feel like it’s in the “right” direction as in their just conduits for the Mesmers power rather than independently having strength by themselves.

Oh of course. If phantasms became proper minions/summons then they should be nerfed a bit. It could be a mix of things, like forcing us to manage the attacks of the weapon phantasms (just like Necro manages the special attacks of their minions) by using the skill again or something or reducing the damage that some of them do, or turning them into more utility based things (like iAvenger) instead of being primarily damage oriented

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

While I do think phantasms need to be reworked and get their damage removed, I think this change is necessary anyway. Currently phantasms are our sustained damage. Do other classes have to wait 30s to get their sustained damage back when switching targets? So I think there is no balance problem with this suggestion. So phantasms should behave like minions/pets during combat, switching target whenever you switch target.

As for behaving like minions out of combat (i.e. staying alive and following you), that would possibly too strong because phantasms have high burst. So I would not go there first. This could still be possible if we wanted it, as long as we remove the damage as I suggested, or if we reduce the burst damage and increase the attack frequency, but that would have important balance implications.

in Mesmer

Posted by: pico.6402

pico.6402

Just let phantasms stay alive and take another target as long as U will be in combat. It is realy annoying that U need to summon them again (and mostly in pve they will be on cooldown) but right now most of them are to powerful to stay alive out of combat.
And also change all clone summoning skillsto not overwrith phantasms (like scepter auto) and it will get much easier in pve open world/story.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

Definitely agree with the OP’s suggestion. Let Phantasms retarget if the initial target is killed and only despawn once you leave combat (or there’s nothing to retarget nearby). It’s hella annoying. You have one of these events where hordes of weak enemys spawn and you dont even want to summon any illusions, cause they will just despawn instantly and go on 20-30 sek Cooldown. If the Game indirectly discourages you to use what makes the class special.. well something is wrong there.