Question about sword\x sword\x

in Mesmer

Posted by: Black Cat.1024

Black Cat.1024

Does this have an advantage in any way?
Because the cooldowns don’t reset when you swap weapon sets.
Example: You use the #2 on sword\pistol and then swap to sword\sword, the #2 is still on cool down.
I’ve seen a lot of builds utilizing some sort of double set swords and couldn’t understand why. Is it the AutoAttack?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

You sure it wasn’t Sword/X + Y/Sword?

in Mesmer

Black Cat.1024

You sure it wasn’t Sword/X + Y/Sword?

Yes, I’ll look for a similar build and post it here

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

I think he means sword/x and sword/y.
Using sword MH in a set and OH in the other one does not give problems with CDs.

However, if you use sword/pistol and sword/sword the situation is the one you described. In my opinion, scepter is not that bad to justify the shared cooldowns so you would do better to use different main hands.

Edit: I think i also made a mistake. the set is probably sword/pistol and then only sword in the OH slot.
anyway, this is only useful if you want to stay melee and spam the autoattack chain. If you are enough bursty you can pop duelist and then change to sword OH and down the opponent, in this way you dont have to buy a secondary weapon

(edited by Levitas.1953)

in Mesmer

Black Cat.1024

- very old video but nonetheless what i meant

in Mesmer

Levitas.1953

The answer is in the date. I dont think people use sword main hand in both sets anymore, although you can use almost everything in pve and still be somewhat effective.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Palu.3405

Palu.3405

Using the same mainhand weapon in both weapon sets could be made to work, but I feel like it would be suboptimal since by sharing a weapon, you’re essentially taking away three skills you could have access to.

The one build I could maybe imagine is sword/sword and sword/pistol, focusing on lots of burst damage from phantasms and Blurred Frenzy. However, scepter scales well enough with power that I don’t think sacrificing the ability to get a fresh weapon set without any cooldowns could justify using sword in both sets.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I have always used swords in both of the main hands of my weapon sets. It’s works very well for me despite the shared cooldown. I do it because it appeals to me aesthetically. I just love swords.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zero450571

that’s my youtube channel if you wanna see any vids of it.

(edited by Hot Boy.7138)

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

The only time I can see using the same weapon[s] in two sets is to utilize Sigil of Energy for getting more Endurance every 9 seconds. This gimps your skill-selection, but you can always change an offhand or a mainhand. (It’s still better to just run Sword/X + Scepter/Y).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bumbler.7581

Bumbler.7581

The answer is in the date. I dont think people use sword main hand in both sets anymore, although you can use almost everything in pve and still be somewhat effective.

The only time I can see using the same weapon[s] in two sets is to utilize Sigil of Energy for getting more Endurance every 9 seconds. This gimps your skill-selection, but you can always change an offhand or a mainhand. (It’s still better to just run Sword/X + Scepter/Y).

With Superior Sigil’s of Battle on both MH swords, you can swap every 10 seconds for 3 stacks of might, which can then be passed around with SoI. So if you are in an organized group that prefers to stick to melee, then having 2 MH swords is very effective and most beneficial to the group.

In Chancery (Jade Quarry, NA) – The Instance Mesmer
#readingLFGisOP #savethewarden
#wallsfixdungeons

in Mesmer

Levitas.1953

And you obviously did not quote the first post, huh?
You can do the same thing with scepter main hand, but as i said in my first reply that setup can be good if you you always want to stay melee and autoattack.

I think a GS could do more damage even in melee range with the shared CD issue while stacking might better.

(edited by Levitas.1953)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bumbler.7581

Bumbler.7581

You can do the same thing with scepter main hand, but as i said in my first reply that setup can be good if you you always want to stay melee and autoattack.

I think a GS could do more damage even in melee range with the shared CD issue while stacking might better.

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t even see it. Then I agree with you , having 2 swords is only useful if you are in melee spamming the auto (which you are likely even only doing in an organized guild group), although Scepter doesn’t cleave which I guess only matters on trash? Though I hate scepter (everything is just too slow for me), so I never use it.

I’m unsure about the GS though. You are going to get max 2, 2k crits every 8 seconds (so you can use it twice per weapon swap), with 3 might stacks if you get the bounce (so up to 6 might stacks of which to pass). Hrmm, this could definitely be better for might passing in melee, actually, on bosses, which could make it more effective for the group’s overall dps. I’ll have to try and see how effective it is for comparison.

In Chancery (Jade Quarry, NA) – The Instance Mesmer
#readingLFGisOP #savethewarden
#wallsfixdungeons

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bear on the job.6273

Bear on the job.6273

When I played my mesmer more frequently (months ago), I ran sword MH in both sets because Blurred Frenzy was on an 8s cooldown for me. It was pretty helpful to always have it available on cooldown instead of waiting for a weapon swap. Since the nerf to BF though, It’s probably more optimal to run a scepter in the second mainhand, or just run Greatsword.

in Mesmer

Levitas.1953

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t even see it. Then I agree with you , having 2 swords is only useful if you are in melee spamming the auto (which you are likely even only doing in an organized guild group), although Scepter doesn’t cleave which I guess only matters on trash? Though I hate scepter (everything is just too slow for me), so I never use it.

I’m unsure about the GS though. You are going to get max 2, 2k crits every 8 seconds (so you can use it twice per weapon swap), with 3 might stacks if you get the bounce (so up to 6 might stacks of which to pass). Hrmm, this could definitely be better for might passing in melee, actually, on bosses, which could make it more effective for the group’s overall dps. I’ll have to try and see how effective it is for comparison.

Im not really good with math so it was just an assumption.
Your secondary set has shared cooldowns and iLeap that does no damage. Also, some off hands have no/low damage skills like magic bullet or temporal curtain. GS skills do damage (iWave not so much, but still) and you can use mirror blade twice per swap. It should not be hard to gain might stacks since you fight on close range.
That said, you lose a sigil.
If it does less damage it would be a good way to complain about spatial surge scaling.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

In organized dungeon runs, often times the mainhand Sword gives the highest dps. If you switch your main weapon, you lose out on a lot of damage. Greatsword moves you out of range to get max dps with the auto attack, staff does no damage with anything but the warlock, scepter does no damage. By using a different offhand (Typically not torch, but sword/focus/pistol work well) you can maintain the superior damage of mainhand sword and get more Phantasms out, replacing ones that die more quickly, and getting your cap of 3 out faster.

Long story short is that if you don’t need another weapon for utility purposes, Sword/x + Sword/x is really not a terrible choice.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

The advantage is using two of our decent off hand weapons without having to use the very poor scepter.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Scepter isn’t bad. While the autoattack is slow, in PvP (specifically WvW), you shouldn’t be autoattacking that much.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

^ When they trim back the wind up for CI I’ll agree with you.

Until then, it requires a stealth build to hide the animation against competent players. Fine if you have the stealth, but requiring a mechanic that is not considered a class-defining feature at play levels higher than noob bashing is not good weapon design.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast