Recyclable Traits

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: int randInt return.3280

int randInt return.3280

There are some traits that nobody would miss. What say we come up with a running list of them, such that Arenanet might buff them or replace them with something else?
Give an explanation if you give one.
If one of these is not so recyclable, I can change it quick.

Very recyclable:
Retaliatory Demise - Chaos Adept – 5 seconds of Retaliation when downed
- This might be useful if an enemy is almost dead, but not almost dead enough for you to rally with skill 1. The rest of the time, Retaliation damage for a short time when downed isn’t exactly a game changer, especially when you could have shorter Blink recharge to avoid getting downed in the first place.

Somewhat recyclable:
Rending Shatter - Domination Adept – AoE Vulnerability (1 for 8 seconds) from each shattered illusion
- It has its effect and has some use in parties, but if you’re planning to do something with shatters for damage, you’d probably just take increased Mind Wrack damage at Adept, increased Greatsword power/recharge at Master, and at Grandmaster, you’d be hard pressed not to take increased Illusion damage for the occasional phantasm if you’re looking to increase damage, or something else otherwise like removing boons on shatter.

Possibly Recyclable:
Retaliatory Shield - Dueling Adept – 3 seconds of Retaliation after blocking
- I suppose it can be used in a Scepter/Sword build looking to maintain permanent retaliation, but Fury on phantasms, Sword recharge and precision, and Manipulation range all seem like much better choices for pretty much any other build. A use, I suppose, so only somewhat recyclable.
- EDIT: I’ve heard some better things about this trait, so I’m changing the category.

This is just my thoughts, and I haven’t tried to go through all of the traits. Expand (or contract) the list beyond this.

Crafters [CRFT]
We do open missions every Sunday night.
Contact Mistoffelees in game if you’re interested.

(edited by int randInt return.3280)

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I agree that some traits could be reworked or changed.

I find the 5% damage to inactive foes to be confusing. Is it to people that are AFK or those that have been stunned/dazed or what ever? if its AFK then should be replaced, if Stunned/dazed then it needs to be re-worded to show that.

Yeah RD seems kinda weak/pointless unless they have like <5% health otherwise its going to be wasted. Rending Shatter i think actually works based on the other traits in the tree with the fact that you can inflict Vul on interrupt, Vul on Daze so i think it sits well in the tree, it just isnt that great. unless they re staggered and you can get it to 5-10+ stacks

I think that RS isnt that great as the CoF Retal one can be up for ALOT of time 19.5seconds with a 25 second cool down i think that is all that is really needed.

What the trees really need are the traits to be more organized. Move the 25Point Inspiration trait (15% extra phantasm damage) to Power tree where it really belongs, of course up high – maybe replace the inactive foe trait? for example.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: Synkru.7984

Synkru.7984

Yep, mesmer’s traits are a mess. They need to rearrange some of the stuff and remake the other traits like the mantra traits for example. Another example would be phantasmal haste, why is it placed in the illusions tree when most of its traits are all about shatter? its just weird to have it there imo.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

What the trees really need are the traits to be more organized. Move the 25Point Inspiration trait (15% extra phantasm damage) to Power tree where it really belongs, of course up high – maybe replace the inactive foe trait? for example.

I disagree. Phantasmal Strength is fine where it is. It’s in a tree that focuses on Phantasms/Support.

Also, Retaliatory Shield can be used to get 100% uptime of Retaliation if used properly in conjunction with Mimic. If you can absorb as soon as you start casting while having multiple enemies aggroed, you can easily block 8 attacks. That’s 24s of Retaliation without any Boon Duration on a skill that has a 25 second cooldown.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Yeah i totally agree, its like they wanted us to have to make decisions on what to take, which is fine by itself but the way they have done it is very awkward and means at times you are taking traits that have little or no effect on your gameplay style just to get the trait you really want just like your example. the 5 and 15point minor traits are shatter traits which is okay for the tree its in, however some of the traits like the illusion recharge trait just do not fit into the tree what so ever.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I disagree. Phantasmal Strength is fine where it is. It’s in a tree that focuses on Phantasms/Support.

Also, Retaliatory Shield can be used to get 100% uptime of Retaliation if used properly in conjunction with Mimic. If you can absorb as soon as you start casting while having multiple enemies aggroed, you can easily block 8 attacks. That’s 24s of Retaliation without any Boon Duration on a skill that has a 25 second cooldown.

I wouldnt really call it an Illusion tree, i mean the 30 point point traits are both shattering traits for one. Though i think it would be good if the trees were a bit more solid on what they should actually be.

Not a bad idea about Mimic, except we have other Utilities that are just to important – Feedback, Decoy, Mirror Images, Blink, The Signets, Mantras are all better in my opinion but i guess it depends on how you play.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Mimic doubles as a mini-Feedback if you time it properly as it reflects all projectiles and blocks all non-projectiles.

And, while the Grandmaster traits in Inspiration are shatter-oriented, they are Support shatters. It’s not an Illusion traitline, it’s a Phantasm + Support traitline. There’s a notable difference.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I would take a FULL feedback over a mini one. Phantasm builds rarely want to shatter them do we even have any Grandmaster traits for Phantasms?

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stolos.7265

Stolos.7265

I find the 5% damage to inactive foes to be confusing. Is it to people that are AFK or those that have been stunned/dazed or what ever? if its AFK then should be replaced, if Stunned/dazed then it needs to be re-worded to show that.

It’s to any foe that isn’t using a skill when your attack hits; moving without using a skill counts as ‘inactive’. Could be better worded though.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

It’s to any foe that isn’t using a skill when your attack hits; moving without using a skill counts as ‘inactive’. Could be better worded though.

Ah, that isnt to bad, but yes it defo needs rewording.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Not only there’s plenty of crappy ones that should be deleted and replaced by something else but there’s also traits that have no synergy. Take Confusing Cry for example, why a condi based shatter skill give you reta which scales 100% with power? Makes no sense and setting people on fire for something like 3sec per shattered illusion would’ve made much more sense.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

i dont see Counfunding suggestions is a gm trait line,
and anyone using blurred inspciration whats that for ?
cleansing inscription and on master line
and mimic block melle attacks ? :S
anet should balance skills more, better if they familiar with gw1

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”

Recyclable Traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Having recently enjoyed a Warrior, I was amazed and somewhat chagrined at how logical and desirable the Traits are in the Warrior trees. Coming back to my beloved Mesmer off the back of that, I realized that the Mesmer Trait lines are indeed messy and quite often have weak or useless Traits.