Retalitory sheild?

Retalitory sheild?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jester.1236

Jester.1236

Q:

For WvW,

Would you ever take this over blade training, in a scepter/sword phantasm build. I like mimic as well, so I could definitely work that in if it weighs the decision one way or another.

Retalitory sheild?

in Mesmer

Posted by: meichor.7809

meichor.7809

Works great with the aegis in PU builds due to blocks, and scepter + sword off hand variations (more blocks). However, practically, when you play mesmer, you would try to avoid getting hit while letting phantasm do the work… thus retaliation might not be doing its work well enough, this is opposite of guardians which benefit greatly from retaliation. retaliation scales with power, from what i’m reading, you are using a scepter/sword + x power phantasm, mostly on your other set, you are using sword/pistol? If you are using two swords and does not have 15 points into illusion trait for the reduced CD, you will WANT blade training over retaliatory shield with no second thought.

(edited by meichor.7809)

Retalitory sheild?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mek.2947

Mek.2947

I’ve been using it in sPvP with Scepter/Focus, Sword/Sword. I’ve been using it to bunker and hold points using this spec:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQRAsc7dlwzCq3UTgGbNJiJFBnvdSB0tcoKsdlUobXIA-T4AA0CvIKSVkrITRyisFN+Y9xGizHTIefA

For WvW…If you’re roaming PU is a good choice, but like the person above me said you’re trying to avoid getting hit, so I’m not sure if it would be the most useful trait.

For zerging…it would be great if you’re using it with mimic. But even with that you’re kind of Kamikazying it because as soon as mimic wears off you need to get the eff out or you will insta melt.

Retalitory sheild?

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

First, yeah get all the aegis you can in the build to maximize retaliatory shield. So, Staff would be a strong consideration. Even w/out that, scepter and sword blocks are going to get you good mileage from the trait, assuming you have decent boon duration (choco omnomberry cream).

Couple things you could try using the blocking concept. First, take a look at pyroatheist’s zergmower build. If you take runes of the guardian you can proc a 1s burn on each block with no internal cool down. Even in a power build burning hurts, but I’m thinking this could also be run in a power/condition hybrid. The idea is you’re not only doing damage with retaliation, but also a decent amount with burning.

Something else I suggested to pyro awhile back in an attempt to resurrect his immortal build is to get retaliation and try to share it with your phantasms/clones using signet of inspiration (an attempt to offset the vengeful images nerf). I believe he found it quite clunky, but it’s something to experiment with nonetheless. I’m thinking if you could slot the iDefender and at least ensure it gets the retal, you’d be in decent shape. In addition to the retal you’d get on block, you’d need as many sources of on-demand retaliation as possible for that share, for which Sw-F seems almost a necessity (leap/light combo). This approach also assumes a more tanky spec – not sure what you had in mind.

Food for thought if nothing else

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

Retalitory sheild?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jester.1236

Jester.1236

This is what I’ve been running, in my ever daunting search for the one build to rule them all. I’ve been using it in WvW for maybe 3 nights. And I’m having some success. I haven’t used mimic with it (tho I’ve used it in the past and liked it). While I like the stun, I would switch out the sigil possibly for mimic.

http://tinyurl.com/nu9nhdy

Edit : I’m using the 15% bonus damage to phantasm in the domination tree, not sure why I put the mind wrack damage, I must be sleepy.

Retalitory sheild?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Razamatazz.9628

Razamatazz.9628

I’m running a 20/20/30/0/0 build with sc/t and sw/sw and up until just a day or two ago I was using retaliatory shield. I have the rune of the guardian set, like was mentioned, from the zergmower build. I found that I tend to dodge out of a blocked attack or blurred frenzy, maybe even use the prestige after blocking just out of habit, and I was negating a lot of that retaliation. So, at that point I said I’m probably better off with blade training for the reduced CD’s anyway. I’m also not a pure power build, so retail wasn’t amazing for me. I’m sure to keep tinkering though, I’ll check back again if I change it and let ya know why.

Lydeah – 80 Mesmer
Lorynne – 80 Guardian
[PB] – NSP