Return mesmer, looking for PvE build advice

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ishi.8075

Ishi.8075

Hello fellow players! I’m looking at returning to Guild Wars 2 but not sure if my build would need revising any.

This is the build I have currently on my mesmer which is a glass cannon mantra build.

Would it be better the look at other options or could I stick with this build successfully? I’ve seen assassin/runes of the ranger builds and those look viable.

Ishimaru Taiki – Engineer (80)
Butterfly Sonata – Mesmer (80)
Can’t wait for the Revenant! :)

in Mesmer

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

See the sticky above, or the link in my sig, for a discussion on the meta Mesmer builds.

Mantra + swords is the answer, by the way, and assassin’s + ranger as you suggest.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ishi.8075

Ishi.8075

Thanks for the quick response! I’ve read through the guide and was expecting to go that route.

Very informative.

Ishimaru Taiki – Engineer (80)
Butterfly Sonata – Mesmer (80)
Can’t wait for the Revenant! :)

in Mesmer

maxinion.8396

Thanks, glad you liked my guide!

While the Nemesis video (just checked it now) isn’t complete trash, he does say many wrong things. He uses Ether Feast instead of Mantra of Recovery in a Mantra Build… O.o Greatsword is bad (except in open world, where laziness and convenience are ‘important’), and he more or less completely neglects discussing reflections (as far as I can tell… I’m not going to watch all 30 minutes of that…). He does Bloomhunger without Feedback… He shows “AoE potential” by summoning a Phantasmal Berserker and camping GS instead of just meleeing and cleaving with sword and using Phantasmal Warden…

Anyway, the overall picture he presents is fine, but the details need quite some work.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Play the reroll build. Comes in warrior, ele, thief and guardian variants.

Snow Crows [SC]

in Mesmer

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

^listen to this guy, he knows how it is

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

One advice …return to another class
But I admit in pve you can play any class. But build does not matter there … autoattack is sufficient.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Play the reroll build. Comes in warrior, ele, thief and guardian variants.

Mesmer is objectively better than thief or guardian in non-speedrun comps. Not everyone is aiming for a record.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

that’s like saying “necro is good if you want to play inefficiently”

guang pls

in Mesmer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

guang pls

Except necro is bad even in non-speedrun comps.

Mesmer does well in pugs because they have high sustained DPS and the lack of burst doesn’t matter as much by comparison. Reflects and condi removal can also save pugs in a fair few encounters. Plus Signet of Inspiration and sword clone vuln (if and when you have them up in lieu of phantasms) help a fair bit although it’s not nearly on LH/Phalanx/Grenades level.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

guang pls

Mesmer does well in pugs because they have high sustained DPS

What.

Mesmer is good in pugs, but not because they have high sustained dps. Mesmer is good in pugs because you bring (almost) all of the utility that a full party needs for any dungeon in 1 single player. This means you don’t have to be reliant on other people for things like stability, reflects, condition removal, boon stripping, and mob gathering. It allows you to carry a party with ease.

That being said, your damage still won’t be all that hot in most cases.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

or you can go warrior, and if competent be able to brute force through fights before your party dies

in Mesmer

maxinion.8396

or you can go warrior, and if competent be able to brute force through fights before your party dies

5 warr meta OP

in Mesmer

maha.7902

5 warr meta OP

in Mesmer

maxinion.8396

5 warr meta OP

Tactics banner OP

in Mesmer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

guang pls

Mesmer does well in pugs because they have high sustained DPS

What.

Mesmer is good in pugs, but not because they have high sustained dps. Mesmer is good in pugs because you bring (almost) all of the utility that a full party needs for any dungeon in 1 single player. This means you don’t have to be reliant on other people for things like stability, reflects, condition removal, boon stripping, and mob gathering. It allows you to carry a party with ease.

That being said, your damage still won’t be all that hot in most cases.

The biggest problem with pug-carry mesmer is that they don’t stack might/fury/vuln too well which means they don’t pull as much group DPS as the EEW pug trinity do. That said it’s not super hard to self-stack might so you’ll most likely by the hardest hitter by a wide margin.

Whether it’s better to stack lots of offensive buffs so your party can burn through stuff or focus a bit more on keeping the party alive is a judgment call you need to make and is pretty much the counterpoint to “this game is nothing but DPS” complaints. Certainly EEW has higher self-buffed DPS than the mesmer but not by that much, it’s the AOE buffing that makes the difference.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Grafskopa.9140

Grafskopa.9140

Now, what is it that you want in a game? To minimize time, maximaze loot, minimize social contact and be a genuin prick when it comes to solving problems?

Or do you want to Maximize social contact and talk to new people and solve problems togheter, keep an event at a reasonable time though working out the mechanics toghether and getting the loot as a bonus of the effort but not being the big deal?

Since anet changed the regain traits though an easy click of button it became so much easer to retrait before a specific battle.
It is true that mesmers don’t deal alot of damage, but we have the 5 players in a dungeon for a reason.

AAAAAAnyway – I want to say: GREAT WORK on the MESMER!
Despite the buggs, and it being weak in dps, I still love how the mesmer is built – on illusions and deception. How to fool the enemy to believeing you are somewhere else. Many times my guildies have shouted out to me “Don’t stand there!” and in the next second it was one of my clones which exploded and I was safely away, watching over my fellow game mates to make sure they came to no harm by keeping nullfield ready or targeting a foe with feedback to save someone low on health.
That’s why I play the mesmer, to be of help to my friends and to have fun while playing.

Great work Arenanet! I believe it will be good. Life will find a way, so will the gamers on mesmers find a build that works well.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

I’ve been playing Mesmer since release.. if I could go back in time and roll a new class I would in a heartbeat.

Play the re-roll build.

Best of luck

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

I still love how the mesmer is built – on illusions and deception

Yeh, I like how it’s build around deception, one after an other!

Snow Crows [SC]