Returning Player. Gimme an update..

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I’ve heard horrible things had happened to the mesmer class since the last time I played. I left way back when we still ran the five trait lines and spent points to upgrade them. Pretty different to the new system of picking only three trait lines.

1. What’s the non-chronomancer meta build for mesmer, nowadays? I will get the expac, but not yet. So I need non-shield builds until then.

2. Do people still use double ranged shatter mesmer in PvP? I loved that build…

3. Is a soldier set with speed runes still a good investment, and viable today? It was basically for my zerker build for WvW, but with soldier armor to be more tanky.

4. Is glass zerker mesmer still the meta for PvE? (Fractals, dungeons, etc.)

5. Perplexity runes are still a good investment, right? I’d hate to have my condi set be useless now…>.<

6. Is the trait ‘distort on shatter’ really gone? I loved that trait. >.<
Edit: Found the trait, it was Masterful Reflection, and it was synced with signets, not shatters. Apologies.

7. There was a customized mesmer build I made for myself way back then, that I absolutely adored. I cannot recall what the exact aspects are, but if I could get ahold of an old fashioned build editor, I might be able to recreate it, and transfer it to the new setup. Anyone have a link to an outdated editor?

8. I heard mesmers got nerfed to the ground, and none of the recent buffs alleviated the damages. Is this the truth? Should I just forget about my main mesmer and play my thief for now?

Please tell me it’s not as bleak as it looks. ._.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

1. What’s the non-chronomancer meta build for mesmer, nowadays? I will get the expac, but not yet. So I need non-shield builds until then.

I believe they tend to call that ‘face down in the dirt’.

No. You’ll get eaten alive by thieves, necros, revs, DHs, and scrappers.

3. Is a soldier set with speed runes still a good investment, and viable today? It was basically for my zerker build for WvW, but with soldier armor to be more tanky.

…probably not? I can’t really imagine that being a good investment at any point in time, but not now really. Particularly since chrono gets a passive 25% movement speed boost.

Depends on the class, but for the most part sinister/viper hybrid builds are best. For mesmer, you should be kicked on sight if you’re not a chrono, and you should be running quickness/alacrity support as a chrono.

5. Perplexity runes are still a good investment, right? I’d hate to have my condi set be useless now…>.<

They’re still fine. I’ve never honestly loved perplexity runes, but I’ve also never really had strong feelings about something better to use instead. They’re fine still.

What?

8. I heard mesmers got nerfed to the ground, and none of the recent buffs alleviated the damages. Is this the truth? Should I just forget about my main mesmer and play my thief for now?

Pretty much. Chronobunker got a lot of huge nerfs, and thieves/necros got a lot of huge buffs. Non-bunker builds got substantial nerfs as collateral damage to the bunker nerfs, and have ended up in a worse place than before.

in Mesmer

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

You can shortly take whole changes as:

“Fixed the issue about Chrono being viable on every content”

They failed tho, we still pve viable, some more patches required to complete their job.

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO

in Mesmer

Posted by: GLaDOS.5897

GLaDOS.5897

My PvE opinion on some of your questions.

TL;DR: What you have to understand is that HoT didn’t change many things for the core mesmer. If you do not/can not play chronomancer at the time being, your old mesmer build should still work -at least in PvE settings. What has changed is every other profession, so you will feel less powerfull not because you are, but because everyone else got a huge power increase.

Game mode ?
Assuming open world PvE, check Lazy Kai builds, still great for painless monster bashing.
Assuming mid-level instanced contents (most dungeons and fractals up to 50), good old phantasm build (domination, duelling, illusion/inspiration) does fine if you find people willing not to speed clear.
Assuming high-end instanced contents… Don’t bother till you are chronomancer.
WvW/PvP, can’t talk for those.

Glass canon is still meta. Vanilla mesmer is not.

I assume you mean WvW here, cause in PvE it would definitely not work.

I think you are referring to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Distortion (on kill, not on shatter) ? If so, then it has been removed.

Mesmer was not nerfed, chronomancer was. However In terms of relative power (see above), mesmer still lags behind. Badly.
Edit : I should say, the hardest nerfs were directed at chronomancer. The core mesmer got a couple of nerfs too, but not as bad.

Taaun We – Vizunah Square (EUW/FR)

(edited by GLaDOS.5897)

in Mesmer

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

unfortunately it is.

My mesmer is parked LA, mostly operate just as extra bank spaces.

I highly suggest explore another profession.

I’ve been having some fun playing druid or reaper, but still not the same as playing my Mesmer.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

There are a lot of negativity in the mesmer community…

OP left before the specialization patch. I did not play much by then, but my understanding of it is:

• bad DPS in PvE, and useful mostly for reflects (if needed)
  • bad spot in PvP (eaten by thieves)
  • good condi roaming in WvW, bad in big fights

Then we got specialization patch (23 june) which mostly improved on PvP making us strong, then nerfed to “viable”.

Then we got chronomancer.

• Chronomancer is a strong buff to any PvE party thanks to alacrity and quickness. Actually one chrono was pretty much mandatory because of the huge support it brought despite its own low DPS.
  • Chronomancer was an upgrade on power shatter, but everyone else got more upgraded than this build, so the build died. On the other hand, chronobunker appeared, and it was too strong. So strong that all teams ran 2 (and 2 condi/power revenants, 1 scrapper or druid).
  • Chronomancer made the class viable even in WvW group fights, again thanks to alacrity/quickness, AOE well damage, resistance, etc…. Note that WvW as a game mode is not in its best state currently (but a-net is working on it).

but because chronomancer was (objectively) too strong in all game modes, it was nerfed. And because a-net is not always the most subtle with nerfs, we got nerfed more than needed. So we are still good in PvE, but the situation is difficult in PvP. Power shatter is still a suicide mission, chronobunker still somewhat works, condi got very slightly buffed, but still not really amazing in PvP.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

In its current state, Mesmer is a failed/incomplete profession. You can’t really compare it to any of the other professions because it just plainly isn’t a complete picture. Anet probably will need to rework it from the ground up like they ended up doing with GW1 mesmer in 2010-ish.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

I’ve heard horrible things had happened to the mesmer class since the last time I played. I left way back when we still ran the five trait lines and spent points to upgrade them. Pretty different to the new system of picking only three trait lines.

[…]

You should collect all your Tomes of Knowledge and there is Proof of Heroics in WvW which you can turn into Notarized Scroll of Maguuma Heroics so that you don’t need to do all Heroic Challengers in the new HoT maps. These HP (and Challengers) will make it faster to get access to Chronomancer Elite. Check how many HP you already own in your Hero panel.

With Expansion you will also have access to new, stats (with four; for boon duration or for condition duration; the new viper statshave been compared here on this site to sinister for Chrono builds) runes and sigils, so you might want to wait until you change your build.

My build is a hybrid/bunker build which work well enough in the new maps. For traits I use inspiration, chaos and chronomancer with the new Runes of Defender I can both heal from blocks (shield blocks and Well of Precognition) [and get regeneration from hits and aegis with heal skill] which help me to stay alive both in Maguuma and in WvW. Chaos will give you protection from regeneration (and from combo fields of Wells you get chaos armor effect).

With inspiration you will have more healing from shatter (if you can keep up enough of illusions; which isn’t always easy in the new maps where some creatures can be very fast in their attacks). Everytime you use your heal skill you will also remove condition both on yourself and nearby party. Illusionary Inspiration will provide you with more regeneration when you cast a phantasm (from staff or shield) for both your self and party.

With Chaos you have also Chaotic Interruption which trigger rather often when you use staff both Chaos Storm [stun; but even after you will trigger interrupt] and AA). Shields stun from ToT will also be important for interrupt, but in general interrupt will trigger more often then only from stun or daze which make it in some situation a better option then Bountiful Disillusion. In WvW you might want to change to BD as Well of Precoginition might not be enough to handle stability and be hard to get where you want at the same time as you try to dodge/run out of danger from enemies (when there is more then one as you can be dazed and hit with multiple condition). [Tip: you can make a key bind to toggle camera mode between action camera with cross hair and the old way to control where to place Wells].

My main weapons are staff (which have a good synergy from Wells ethereal fields with its leap finisher to create chaos armor and swords leap finisher) out of danger and to keep trigger interrupts. It is a slow weapon compared to GS, but it seem to work better in situation like when you have those darn pocket raptors making you their breakfast. With Chronomancer you have access to quickness, so it can be useful to switch between Chronophantasma and Size the Moment (but you will need to keep up with enough with Illusions to get any time to use your Quickness). Quickness (both from trait and shield) will compensate a bit how fast your Staff feels, so you can get a very intense rotation with Superspeed on Illusions and either of GM traits, even slow (from Lost Time) can be useful especially if you change staff to GS.

The most important skills here is Mirror for healing as it seem to not be that easy to interrupt as Mantras and with Chaos trait Master of Manipulation you will get a very short recharge time (with alacrity down to around 10 sec from 15 sec) and it will also make “Blink”: go down to 24 sec in recharge rate which give you some mobility. Each heal will be around 4000 (3915+ [0.6*175]) and with blocks healing each 30s+ regeneration from different sources you will have pretty good healing which isn’t depending on how many illusions you can keep up. Signet of Inspiration will both block and regenerate health, so this is a very major part of this build. It is possible to replace with another Well or skill, but you will notice that swiftness (33% movement) compared to what Chronomancer 25% offer, make this worth keep up with a party or squad in WvW.

Runes of Defenders isn’t possible to use in PvP ATM AFAIK, so you have to replace it with something else which migth work in the same way. I tried to use Runes of Batharzar in PvP which have the same condi and make heal to burn instead of blocking with the same traits as above. I am not sure if you already (when you don’t have HoT expansion) can buy Runes of Defender on BL TP as I can not see anything in wiki about that, but they are rather cheap (~2 silver) and you might be able to replace OH shield with OH swords for blocks.

My armour have Rabid stats and Berserker for trinkets, so in general it is a powerbased hybrid with some condition damage (you will need it to get those new break bars down; with Guild upgrades [banners] even some player have access to break bars nowadays in WvW). For sigils on weapon I use Sigil of Battle and Strenght on staff to get most out of Might (which also give more damage (in duration) the more boons SoI provide and from increasing Might:Chaotic_Persistence ). For Sword I use Sigil of Fire which seem to actually trigger burn from Gravity Wells when you have that weapon active on your skills and for Shield I use Sigil of Doom for poison which help to keep enemies HP down.

This isn’t a fail safe build and I die a couple of times in Aura Basin, but I have managed to solo some challengers like this video in link show with a Champion

Recording is not from me doing this challenge and I hope YT poster doesn’t mind to make a reference to his or hers video as it is the only I could find showing what it is like to fight some Champs in the new maps. For me on my Chronobunker build it took a very long time to kill this Champion compared to how much time this player with Reaper on this video show, so it is not a fast killer and you have to stay focused to really get down break bar and later HP.

In group a setting this build should also actually work better to this kind of Challengers as you can help out with some mitigation (blocks/stability) and even rez downed player with placing a Well of Precognition on top of that player before you start rez (will keep blocking [and SoI help with this too on yourself,so will not get downed that fast] for both you and those in Wells) or use GW. Your heal skill provide condition removal when you heal yourself (with aegis activating) to nearby player and heal them by a small amount (from inspiration trait), Phantasm will give both you and ppl around you some regeneration. In short this build do have some capabilities to give support even when you don’t go for All’s Well That Ends Well and use Superspeed on your illusions to hit your targets in time as HoT maps are plenty of fast moving targets.

For sPvP you might want to look into how those different rewards tracks work to get both what you need for you Hero Points and how you want to play GW2/HoT.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Reward_Track

For Mastery Points you (like Gliding), you will probably need to be on HoT maps to earn XP (after you have passed level 80). There is two zones: one for the old Tyria and one for Maguuma which you need to put into activate phase from you Hero Panel to gain XP. When you have collected enough MP (more or less the same as “commune with this…” for HP in Maguuma), then then you can unlock those MP abilities.

(edited by ShadowCatz.8437)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

7. There was a customized mesmer build I made for myself way back then, that I absolutely adored. I cannot recall what the exact aspects are, but if I could get ahold of an old fashioned build editor, I might be able to recreate it, and transfer it to the new setup. Anyone have a link to an outdated editor?

Double Ranged Shatter is my favourite build of all time too. Unfortunately, it is rather trash at the moment- you should definately go for Sword/Torch Greatsword over staff. The build i am playing is currently domination/dueling/illusions with standard utilities (decoy, blink, portal), zerker/marauder amulet, scholar or strength runes and Moa Morph. Just a general warning, you need to play near perfectly to stand a sliver of a chance in PvP currently. I don’t know what level you are on, so it is hard to say! =)

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Double range used to rely on phase retreat kiting, which allow mesmer to jump into and out of the battle. Unfortunately with revenant that simply isn’t viable, most revenant UA or Shiro PT will catch up to you with just one button.

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I don’t think being a buffbot and essentially doing pitiful dps is fine in PvE at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/44dli8/actual_dps_comparison_between_classesguard_ele/

Has some dps rankings and the Mesmer player chimed in saying they were doing about 6.5-8k.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

I don’t think being a buffbot and essentially doing pitiful dps is fine in PvE at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/44dli8/actual_dps_comparison_between_classesguard_ele/

Has some dps rankings and the Mesmer player chimed in saying they were doing about 6.5-8k.

8k DPS… on Mesmer…?

MESMER OP PLEASE NERF THANK YOU!

in Mesmer

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

OP left before the specialization patch. I did not play much by then, but my understanding of it is:

Then we got specialization patch (23 june) which mostly improved on PvP making us strong, then nerfed to “viable”.

• Chronomancer is a strong buff to any PvE party thanks to alacrity and quickness. Actually one chrono was pretty much mandatory because of the huge support it brought despite its own low DPS.
  • Chronomancer was an upgrade on power shatter, but everyone else got more upgraded than this build, so the build died. On the other hand, chronobunker appeared, and it was too strong. So strong that all teams ran 2 (and 2 condi/power revenants, 1 scrapper or druid).
  • Chronomancer made the class viable even in WvW group fights, again thanks to alacrity/quickness, AOE well damage, resistance, etc…. Note that WvW as a game mode is not in its best state currently (but a-net is working on it).

but because chronomancer was (objectively) too strong in all game modes, it was nerfed. And because a-net is not always the most subtle with nerfs, we got nerfed more than needed. So we are still good in PvE, but the situation is difficult in PvP. Power shatter is still a suicide mission, chronobunker still somewhat works, condi got very slightly buffed, but still not really amazing in PvP.

So let me get this straight. Chronomancer was too strong objectively in all game modes? It was too strong in PvP, that’s it. It was only strong with one single gimmick bunker build for PvP which no mesmer ever asked for but made perfect sense seeing how Anet gave us the wells as new skills.

And then people who have no clue how dps rotations and mechanics work (like Karl for example) come and say how it must be nerfed.

I wish people who balance this game and comment on class balance would actually be playing it or just stay put.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Demandred.7930

Demandred.7930

Pretty much. Chronobunker got a lot of huge nerfs, and thieves/necros got a lot of huge buffs. Non-bunker builds got substantial nerfs as collateral damage to the bunker nerfs, and have ended up in a worse place than before.

The biggest necro buff was the nerf to diamond skin. Necros are running basically the same build from last season with wanderer’s(edit: mercenary’s) instead of carrion. Yes, it now has auto-attack boon corrupt on scepter, but that amounts to 3 boons converted during a match, and almost none when the necro’s are being pressured .

On a more mesmery note, I didn’t have too many problems with the new PU condi build I encountered as a condi reaper because of my two condi transfers, but I think it has potential in capable hands.

(edited by Demandred.7930)

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

The biggest necro buff was the nerf to diamond skin. Necros are running basically the same build from last season with wanderer’s instead of carrion. Yes, it now has auto-attack boon corrupt on scepter, but that amounts to 3 boons converted during a match, and almost none when the necro’s are being pressured .

You…clearly missed like 3/4 of the necro patch notes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Demandred.7930

Demandred.7930

The biggest necro buff was the nerf to diamond skin. Necros are running basically the same build from last season with wanderer’s instead of carrion. Yes, it now has auto-attack boon corrupt on scepter, but that amounts to 3 boons converted during a match, and almost none when the necro’s are being pressured .

You…clearly missed like 3/4 of the necro patch notes.

I played around with the new corrupts in the other traitlines and also reverted back to normal necromancer, but I still prefer spite (corrupt on signets is still great), soul reaping (unblockable marks for hibernating rev’s, dh with aegis and slower life force drain), and I wouldn’t want to live without reaper’s shroud, too much cc flying around. There are competitive alternatives, but I suspect that this is gonna be the meta build.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

So let me get this straight. Chronomancer was too strong objectively in all game modes? It was too strong in PvP, that’s it. It was only strong with one single gimmick bunker build for PvP which no mesmer ever asked for but made perfect sense seeing how Anet gave us the wells as new skills.

And then people who have no clue how dps rotations and mechanics work (like Karl for example) come and say how it must be nerfed.

I wish people who balance this game and comment on class balance would actually be playing it or just stay put.

It was too strong in PvP, but also in PvE. It was such a high damage increase that any party “had to have one”. Now it is still useful, but not (as much) mandatory.

So, both in PvE and the PvP we are forced to play support. Yes, this is a situation I do not like. I think the answer for both is an increased to our sustained damage. But let’s be honest, we are more likely to receive such a buff if we are not already in a god-tier spot.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Don’t come back to this class right now. It’s in the worst state it’s been in for at least 9+ months. (Quite frankly, I’m inclined to say much longer than that even.)

in Mesmer

Arikyali.5804

I found the trait I was looking for. It was Masterful Reflection, and I see it was removed…(bleh).

Mesmer just doesn’t…feel the same way as I remember from before. A few of the new changes don’t really make sense. (Why would I use some of these new skills/traits? And why were others removed/changed/no longer allowed to sync together?)

Part of it may be attributed to relearning the class, but it’s gone from: “Centralized meta builds/ideas that branch out into several niche variations that take time to understand” to “What the heck am I trying to do and why am I not just using a class that does it better?”

Don’t get me wrong, I still love my mesmer. But it changed from “controlled chaos” to “stagnant discombobulated flailing”

My thief was much easier to come back to. :/ All I had to relearn was “steal now has two keys”.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I found the trait I was looking for. It was Masterful Reflection, and I see it was removed…(bleh).

Wasn’t removed, was merged with a few other shatter traits in the form of Master of Fragmentation in Illusions.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: NameUnknown.6417

NameUnknown.6417

Aw man, I just made a mesmer, and this does not bode well!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

We are kinda in the same situation as warrior in almost every single game mode.
PvE: Brought for buffs, dps not so great
PvP: Underwhelming but have a few gimmicks to play
WvW: In zerg, brought for 1-2 utility. Roaming, again a few gimmicks.

in Mesmer

Arikyali.5804

Really? Before I left, Warrior was one of the top tier classes. It steamrolled everything.

Anyway, I think I’ll be able to recreate my old ‘disgusting mesmer’ build, but it was pretty much designed for one thing only: tearing through zerker roamers in wvw. But maybe since PvE also uses condi now, maybe it’ll be of some decent use there…

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Really? Before I left, Warrior was one of the top tier classes. It steamrolled everything.

Anyway, I think I’ll be able to recreate my old ‘disgusting mesmer’ build, but it was pretty much designed for one thing only: tearing through zerker roamers in wvw. But maybe since PvE also uses condi now, maybe it’ll be of some decent use there…

Any sort of condie build that’s good for PvP is going to be garbage for PvE and vice versa. Ignoring that, even a purely PvE optimized condie build isn’t very good.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Decay.2354

Decay.2354

Sadly, I also returned after a lengthy break, bought HOT and found that my beloved Mesmer main is in a very poor place. There didn’t seem to be much about the new spec that jumped out at first glance and it was clear the old builds were pretty much dust. So far spent my time trying to unlock DH for my guardian instead. I was looking forward to getting the Mesmer up to snuff as well but that doesn’t sound too exciting right now. Sad that such a unique and fun class has been neglected.