Rework Signet of Domination

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hackuuna.4085

Hackuuna.4085

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet_of_Domination

I’d like to see this signet changed to give a bonus to physical damage stats, like power, precision, or ferocity rather than condition damage.

1. The entire domination line is about power
2. The trait that reduces the cooldown and gives an additional condi cleanse and invlun is in the domination line, so see point #1
3. GW1 domination was about direct damage
4. The active effect prevents someone from taking skill-use confusion damage for a lengthy time

I don’t really understand why this signet is still offering a bonus to condition damage.

(edited by Hackuuna.4085)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alpha.1308

Alpha.1308

i agree it’s backward
it’s like how they wanted to fix harmonious mantra/restorative mantras because “They felt counter-intuitive”
this one we’re focusing on confusion damage, but we… get access to a stun, fantastic…

although, i mean, GW1 wasn’t “about direct damage”
it still was all indirect
nothing was “deal x damage to target”
it was always
“do this to target, and this damage can take effect”

although this game hasn’t had hexes/unique effects like GW1 did, this game is mostly global boons/conditions able to be accessed by all classes, they’re slowly adding mechanics like they had before, so it’d be nice to see it change into something “different” rather than a static “here’s some more power”

whether that be condition or power focused, is up to them, because, again, Domination was never really “direct damage”
it was more “condition” like with its hexes that “could” do damage

Power Spike required an interruption to deal damage
Empathy/Backfire was when attacking/casting (confusion)
Wastrel’s skills exist
Overload was a DoT (condition) and then “if target is casting, deal damage”
even E-Surge wouldn’t do damage unless they had energy to drain
etc

Domination was punishment and manipulation
so, the stun aspect is fine, but the passive should be something to keep this aspect
“here’s more damage” sounds lazy imho for something that was so unique as a class

(edited by Alpha.1308)

in Mesmer

Hackuuna.4085

You’re right that the lines have blurred a little because of confusion but I meant domination was not a DoT and condition-damage are mostly damage about DoT. In GW1 domination was never about DoT. Not a single skill acted as a DoT for health in terms of the game mechanics. For my purposes “direct damage” means the type of damage in GW1 that was not a DoT and was instantly applied when the conditions were met.

If you want to keep it condition based then the active should do something with respect to confusion. It should follow the theme of “if some condition is met, do something extra”.

in Mesmer

Alpha.1308

wellllllll
as i said, Overload was a DoT, as well as Wastrel’s Demise
BUT
i know what you mean

again, i’m still agreeing that the signet should change, stunning with a focus on confusion means we’re having downtime of confusion damage, and that sounds like a waste

and obviously we’re not running around with signet of domination just for the stun on a power build…
(-cough-, i did once to try out Confounding Suggestions/Sigil for 4s stun once, it was a waste of a slot as expected)

i still think that there should be some sort of effect that adds a unique mechanic on doing something, something suggested time and time again, Fragility, applying conditions deals direct damage, could have really poor scaling with power, but a number that more or less helps both condition and power builds, because even with power builds you can still apply conditions at an alarming rate, but not as much as condi, and condi builds will apply so many, the small amount would still add up

course… that sounds so good, you’d never want to activate it just for a stun… so the stun would have to change…

regardless, even if it gives you a power stat (power, precision, ferocity)
the stun still sounds awful as an active
this means you’re losing damage to stun, where…. you’d want to burst with your stuns???
still sounds counter-intuitive
the signet really does need a complete rework

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

I agree, the signet works rather counter intuitive. Passively you gain condition damage, which means most likely you will be applying confusion and torment. In such a situation, you don’t want to actually stun your target for such a long time, even if you just want to make sure a shatter hits. The active effect of the signet is somewhat counteracting the passive benefit… Personally I see no reason to ever use this signet.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Mesmer

Alpha.1308

omfg i forgot torment was also big from mesmers, i stopped playing and just started again for expansion
please anet pay more attention to details like this than your player base

in Mesmer

Posted by: Angel de Lyssa.4716

Angel de Lyssa.4716

No thanks, I prefer that the signet be focused on damage conditions, and not on damage power, and when i use it, Confusion and Torment are doing more damage on a short time, for example, during a short time, confusion and torment inflict more damage if your foes dont use skills or not move. Is more logical and get sinergy for mesmer conditions, the domination from mesmer guild wars 1.

It would be something like heal signet of necro Signet of Vampirism, but version of mesmer for damage conditions.

Please, will not for a change of damage power, the mesmer have other traits or skill for it. Mesmer need damage conditions, no damage power, it have buff of dps phantasmal or GM greadswords.

I something like:

Signet of Domination

Passive: Improved condition damage.
Active: Increase damage of Confusion and Torment when enemy dont use any skill o not move.

Signet of Domination: 180 Condition Damage
Damage increase: 20%
Duration: 8s
Range: 1,200

It would even be better, than a stun of 3s.

(edited by Angel de Lyssa.4716)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I use this signet for its passive. If it had a more interesting active, maybe something like what Angel suggests, I might use it for that too.

in Mesmer

Hackuuna.4085

And I think that’s a fair request because it as it stands the signet is significantly less desirable due to the lack of synergy it has with most skills and trait lines.

I’d love if the active did something with respect to confusion and torment but then again the cooldown reduction trait (and stun duration increasing trait) is in a line that has very few traits and especially no GM traits that a condi build would ever care about.

The opportunity cost of this signet is simply too high when you consider what you can take instead. Please show this utility some love!