Scepter and torment

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

Possible ways to make Scepter worth picking up

1- Put torment on a offensive ability such as scepter 3. Also it should be noted that the activation time on scepter is way too slow, taking half of the channel to get 1 confusion stack and you wonder why people don’t run this.

2- The auto attack on scepter has to be by far the worst thing I’ve ever seen. It’s slow, clunky, and easy to dodge. The auto attack needs to be faster, and also a good idea for scepter would be to add 1 stack of torment per auto attack, or atleast every 2 auto attacks.

Edit: Also note that if you were to change torment it should be one of these things and not both, any more would be a bad idea.

But my point is adding torment to a defensive ability in my opinion was a bad idea. the ability itself is easy to read, and the time spend trying to bait the person to attack you is not worth the payoff, cheers.

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winterfell.8915

Winterfell.8915

I really like scepter now with mine cond build. I agree with the auto attack.. I dont even use it much unless I need some clones up!
But torment can be stacked easy.. I just look at the opp. Animation, and know.. now I must use it.. like if hes using a charge or starting an attack, that cant be canceled fast hehe.. or using aoe etc..

Edit:
5 stacks.. every 12 sec.. I think we got the best tormentt atm.. compared with the necro aoe 2/3 stack torment (40 sec cd) and thief venom torment (around 40 sec cd)…necro torment is good for group fighta tho

(edited by Winterfell.8915)

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

The one thing I want changed with Scepter is that the auto-attack chain should not have a projectile. I should do the same swinging animation, but it should impact instantly (also producing no trail, so as to not give my position away).

In other words, a bit like Scepter for Necro works in that regard.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

The one thing I want changed with Scepter is that the auto-attack chain should not have a projectile. I should do the same swinging animation, but it should impact instantly (also producing no trail, so as to not give my position away).

In other words, a bit like Scepter for Necro works in that regard.

Well, it’d also work like the Guardian’s one, continue firing even when the first one hasn’t hit yet. But I somehow think, it doesn’t work with chains. And it’d probably be awkward with the third chain.

I’d say the current version might work, too. Just further increase the projectiles speed a bit and make it a projectile finisher (20%). Same with staff.

I suppose necros scepter is not reflectable, which impacts it’s effects quite a bit.

@Topic
Well, I’d like to see a small torment with the second hit of scepter chain, probably 3s. Adding it to Scepter #2-1 is just a bad idea. It requires an attack and close range. And close range torment is pointless anyways. Maybe add 2~3 stacks torment to scepters #2-2 as well ? So 5 stacks when blocked, 2~3 stacks when not blocked.

And I wouldn’t like confusion on scepter #3 replaced with torment either. Even if confusion sucks in PvE (seriously, buff it by 400%), it’s a core design of our class. But I think confusion and torment match very well. If you’re confused, you do nothing and run away, if you’re tormented you jump to your target, immobilize it and bash like hell. If you have both, you either stand around like a sitting duck, or you’ll get a penalty. So dractically lower scepter #3’s direct damage and add 1 stack of torment each hit (just like confusion).

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winterfell.8915

Winterfell.8915

@ Nretep, just add torment to every mesmer skill:P Would be cool tho! Shattering also gives torment something like that.

You dont need close range for scepter n2 (torment) it makes it easyer, but like an ele (air)scepter n1, you can use scepter n2 for it, and give him torment, thief shortbow n1 block it and give torment etc..

(edited by Winterfell.8915)

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: cottage.3274

cottage.3274

the scepter is the same old awkward weapon only now with torment it gives the much needed burst to condition build to be good in spvp.
in my build i can have back to back torment with just runes and 0 in domination (assuming it isn`t cleared ofc) and its gr8 but…
lllusionary Counter is so clunky it takes all your skill to pull it off,you need to be literally inside the enemy model for the torment to stick.
just a bit more range and it gets countered by strafe or a passing ai.
also this needs to be unblockable.
i dont mind it to be in a defensive ability but after playing on my thief and seeing how easy i can stack it up i feel bad for us having it on lllusionary Counter.
i know anet gave it to scepter so it will be more attractive but i really would love if it was on a slot skill, signet of domination comes to mind.
atm the benefit is on ele`s/guards/warriors/and gc thiefs, bunker ele`s and guards are the most easy to apply and melt for me, so anyone that sticks on you basically.
as for the autoattack i never use it i disable it on the scepter absolutely nothing to gain from it only to lose your warlock or staff clones.
ci well sucks to long of a cast time not responsive too predictable the only upside 5 stacks for kinda long duration(that you rarely get to apply) and the gw2 spirits thinks its funny to let the animation fire off but to do nothing 2 out of 5 times.
anet need to work a bit more on this weapon for sure,its playable now just annoying and awkward.
btw Trigr 1 stack of torment on auto attack will lose its shine in my book this is for burst not to slowly stack like bleeds(if they make it on aa it will be the only way to have torment for sure if not its fine as long as you can stack in one go 5 or more of it) confusion fits more imo or a boon.

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

For Confusion PvE, double the duration IMO, the damage is already plenty high.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

I’d like the scepter autoattack rate similar to guardian’s hammer: 2 fast hits deal solid dmg followed by the third hit slowly charging up to create a clone to make a visual impact in the animation chain. After all, making a clone is no easy feat. Every clone-generation skill has a cooldown, even dodge cannot happen that often.

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

The problem with torment on the block only is that you have no control over its application. Enemy pets, clones, or even mobs will proc it before your target will. Scepter 2’s second attack should apply the 5 stacks at range as well as, or instead of the blind.

I also like the idea of adding torment to the auto attack. 1 or 2 seconds would do.

Keep the (presumably) bugged 2 clone summon on auto attack third attack. It not only makes the scepter work, it also opens up the option for mesmers to NOT have to take clone on dodge. Holy hell, somebody needs to balance mesmers AWAY from that crutch. This “bug” opens up that horizon.

Yes, increase confusion duration, or, confusion damage.

Finally, scepter clones need to A: transfer a condition they have to their target on their attack, then B: apply 1 stack of torment for 1 or 2 seconds if the clone has no conditions currently.

This would truly make scepter a solid condition weapon, and finally make the clones worth something.

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Metallus.7690

Metallus.7690

I would like to see the 3rd attack on scepter made instant (Like WoW priest’s mind flay)

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: pakownd.2078

pakownd.2078

I was exited by the idea og the new torment condition. ArenaNet said “we want diversity of builds” and i said… yes ! maybe this is what i need to change my build and use staff, i will stop using the greatsword.

The patch comes, and i find that torment is applied with a scepter…the worst weapon (speaking of skills) in the game, and not just that, it is applied in the block. I didnĀ“t even tried… i just continued playing as always, with my usual build.

Arenanet… you wanted diversity of build ? well, i guess you failed… at least with the mesmer.

Edit to say that, torment in the Necromancer is amazing , is really fun to use, and its great. But poor mesmer.. .

(edited by pakownd.2078)

Scepter and torment

in Mesmer

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I’ve tried scepter and I like action 3 a lot. Action 1 dps needs to be upped at least by a factor of 2 to be viable since it is so easily evaded. Torment on action 2 (a block) makes absolutely no sense since to block we are standing still and thus our opponent doesn’t need to move. Torment belongs with action 3.