Shatter VS Phantasm

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaurniven.2065

Xaurniven.2065

So as a Roamer in WvW I eventually meet Mesmers who are using a phantasm build.
Some are meh I can take em do to the lack of their reaction or..just cause I’m a tat better ^^.
I run a glass cannon Shatter Build 10 30 0 0 30 with Rune of the Traveler.
Anyway so my tactic would be to surprise them with a decoy and put their phantasm on my clone (I hope) and depends either fake shatter to let them use their CC Breaks or Distortion or to rlly blast em.
-If they ain’t dead-
Now this is the part where it gets difficult. I have CD on a lot of skills and I can’t keep my stealth up for long so they gonna plop their Phantasms on me and do some major damage. Now don’t go saying “oh you can allways dodge” now see we all got limited amount of dodges we can do here.
So what should I do? Pressure them with my Phantasms? Pressure them with me jumping all over a and hitting auto attack (after blast of course)?
I mean I would rlly like for you to all post out strategies on what you would do in this situation.

Fury By Furry |Given Fury | Furiously Small | Furiously Risen | Serayath

[RaW] Sassari – Commander

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Posted by: adelaide.6213

adelaide.6213

In general, I’ve found that facing a Phantasm mesmer as a shatter is a slight uphill battle; you will need to outplay them to win.

My general approach to the fight is to delay their first phantasm as long as possible and force them to use their stealths early so they are forced to distortion shatter. This may be difficult if they get the jump on you. Fortunately, mesmers are not that great at chasing, so you can reset the fight.

Here are my tips:
- Use a zero-illusion-IP distortion early when you see their phantasm summoning animation. You can do this mid-cast of your own phantasm skill. This will cause you to invuln their phantasm, making it not summon at all, and get you the upper hand in the fight.

- Alternatively if you’re close to them, you can use diversion to interrupt the cast. However, i generally like to save the daze for mass invis.

- Be mindful of your 50% threshold for illusionary invigoration.

- I like to save blurred frenzy for phantasm attacks, or to prevent their blurred frenzy, rather than use it in my shatter combo. This is a personal playstyle preference. I find that mesmers have too many outs to put effective use of it offensively most of the time.

- Dodge roll TOWARDS iZerkers during their spin to prevent the most damage.

(edited by adelaide.6213)

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroathiest.4168

Pyroathiest.4168

adelaide made a lot of good points. Ultimately, phantasm builds are significantly superior to shatter builds in a dueling scenario. In order to beat them, you need to seriously outplay them. The best way to do this is to get a fast kill.

Use any interrupts that you have to stop the phantasm casts. If you use a torch or scepter, you can actually blind the casts, and that’s even more effective. These are only temporary measures though…if you don’t kill them rapidly, they’ll have their cooldowns back up and you’ll be hosed. You need to keep pressure on them and make sure your burst lands.

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Xaurniven.2065

If the Mesmer is competent and experienced with shatter themselves, they won’t lose to a shatter spec whilst running phantasm. The burst is too predictable and shatter lacks the sustain of phantasm builds. Plus, as a Mesmer you don’t have easy access to AoE or effective cleave to destroy the opposing Mesmer’s phantasms.

You’ll lose more often than not.

I tend to have Signet of Domination ready + pistol num# 5 skill so they have to take my damage whether they like it or not

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

If the Mesmer is competent and experienced with shatter themselves, they won’t lose to a shatter spec whilst running phantasm. The burst is too predictable and shatter lacks the sustain of phantasm builds. Plus, as a Mesmer you don’t have easy access to AoE or effective cleave to destroy the opposing Mesmer’s phantasms.

I tend to have Signet of Domination ready + pistol num# 5 skill so they have to take my damage whether they like it or not

Most Mesmers will run two stun-breaks, even in a phantasm build (in PvP modes), so I’d hardly consider this a solution. I run both Blink and Decoy when I play phantasm.

Not to mention iSwap as another breaker. What the signet and pistol allow you to do, though, is interrupt the casts and try to get burst in before they build up phantasms.

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

Mass invisible->blink(if you are far from target)->dodge twice->iLeap->blurred frenzy + diversion->dodge backward->iWave->iZerker->decoy->iLeap again->MW+blurred frenzy or alternative just spam 1111
(as how to fight phantasm mesmer) always remember that phantasm mesmer need target to get his phantasm up,so when you show up,it is crucial that you daze him.
after you burst him a little,he will get panicked a bitand will prolly use decoy or blink,hence the iWAVE for if it’s decoy,it will knock him down and would not let him spam phntasm untill his stealth over.

(edited by Sandrox.9524)

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Xaurniven.2065

Most Mesmers will run two stun-breaks, even in a phantasm build (in PvP modes), so I’d hardly consider this a solution. I run both Blink and Decoy when I play phantasm.

I said in WvW (Im a Roamer) did not mention PvP

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Xaurniven.2065

Not to mention iSwap as another breaker. What the signet and pistol allow you to do, though, is interrupt the casts and try to get burst in before they build up phantasms.

That’s what I was trying to point out ._. To stun e’m before they get a phantasm out and Burst e’m

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Xaurniven.2065

Mass invisible->blink(if you are far from target)->dodge twice->iLeap->blurred frenzy + diversion->dodge backward->iWave->iZerker->decoy->iLeap again->MW+blurred frenzy or alternative just spam 1111
(as how to fight phantasm mesmer) always remember that phantasm mesmer need target to get his phantasm up,so when you show up,it is crucial that you daze him.
after you burst him a little,he will get panicked a bitand will prolly use decoy or blink,hence the iWAVE for if it’s decoy,it will knock him down and would not let him spam phntasm untill his stealth over.

Wow Ty! This is a great tactic to use and will surely try this!

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

That’s what I was trying to point out ._. To stun e’m before they get a phantasm out and Burst e’m

Yeah, you can definitely try to do that. It’s easier said than done, unfortunately. There’s a lot of ways to protect casts, so it’s not always going to be possible to get interrupts. Ultimately in a fight against a phantasm mesmer, you really just need to pressure them hard. Phantasm builds do have a bit of a setup time before they reach full strength, and this is your chance to kill them. At about 20-25 seconds into a fight though, if they have been able to get set up, you’re dead almost no matter what.

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

Yeah, you can definitely try to do that. It’s easier said than done, unfortunately. There’s a lot of ways to protect casts, so it’s not always going to be possible to get interrupts. Ultimately in a fight against a phantasm mesmer, you really just need to pressure them hard. Phantasm builds do have a bit of a setup time before they reach full strength, and this is your chance to kill them. At about 20-25 seconds into a fight though, if they have been able to get set up, you’re dead almost no matter what.

You always can try to get off-range though

@Xaurniven mind you that not all the world is perfect with blue skies and green grass, the mesmer you face can do somthing else,you need to adjust.

(edited by Sandrox.9524)

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Xaurniven.2065

You always can try to get off-range though

@Xaurniven mind you that not all the world is perfect with blue skies and green grass, the mesmer you face can do somthing else,you need to adjust.

Course I need to adjust! That’s the fun part
Just wanted some advice, never said I always lose to a Phantasm Mesmer, just needed some tips Ty vm
And btw my skies are a bit purple here IF you know what I mean….hehe

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

Many people here have mentioned good points. The main downside to running phantasms (which I do roaming) is that if the attack is blocked, or evaded, or obstructed, etc the phantasm will not spawn: it will waste the CD. Use this to your advantage using shatter distortion, and maybe sword #2. Interupts also will help. In general shatter mesmers tend to be traited a bit more for sustained fights (i.e. knights of valk) so it may take a couple hard shatters. Many phantasms will track you in stealth and hit you the moment you pop out, so just be aware of that. Also, know the downsides to phantasm AI. For melee phantasms, if they can’t figure out a “path” to you, they’ll freeze. Likewise, range ones require LoS, so you can duck around some rocks, trees, ledges, etc.

Its a tough fight, but it can be done if you know the main weaknesses of phantasms (or bugs, if you want to consider it that way?)

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

The main downside to running phantasms (which I do roaming) is that if the attack is blocked, or evaded, or obstructed, etc the phantasm will not spawn: it will waste the CD.

I’m afraid this isn’t true. There are only a couple ways to make a cast fail. You can blind it, invuln it, LoS it, or outrange it. Evading and blocking will do absolutely nothing.

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Xaurniven.2065

I was referring to WvW; “PvP game modes” Plural.

Regardless, unless you’re running an interrupt build, using CC to interrupt phantasm summons is hardly reliable against a competent Mesmer. When I play phantasm, personally, I’ll open with a Decoy or Mass Invis to allow me to summon my phantasms from stealth. Then it’s GG because Mesmers lack cleave/AoE, and all I have to do at that point is evade the predictable shatter burst whilst my phantasms finish the Mesmer off.

It can work, if you get lucky, but it’s not a reliable counter.

That when I tend to use me Signet, when I see a Mass Inv coming up
And no…it didn’t have to be plural…..

Shatter VS Phantasm

in Mesmer

Xaurniven.2065

I was referring to WvW; “PvP game modes” Plural.

Regardless, unless you’re running an interrupt build, using CC to interrupt phantasm summons is hardly reliable against a competent Mesmer. When I play phantasm, personally, I’ll open with a Decoy or Mass Invis to allow me to summon my phantasms from stealth. Then it’s GG because Mesmers lack cleave/AoE, and all I have to do at that point is evade the predictable shatter burst whilst my phantasms finish the Mesmer off.

It can work, if you get lucky, but it’s not a reliable counter.

That when I tend to use me Signet, when I see a Mass Inv coming up
And no…it didn’t have to be plural…..

So you don’t use it to interrupt phantasm summons, now?

>stun MI
>enemy stunbreaks
>enemy summons phantasm
>GG

I’m not sure why you’re being so argumentative. Are you trying to say that you always beat phantasm builds? Or that running Signet of Dom is a reliable counter?

Because I doubt both of those.

As Pyro said after 20-25 sec if he isn’t down then I’m in trouble, so I try to use my stun on signet when I start to see a Mass Inv, I now tend to (Ty to adelaide’s advice) I use 0-illusion Distortion to counter Phantasm Skill.
I am saying that Signet of Doom is a reliable counter, in my opinion the more stuns the better.
Sorry for sounding argumentative, my apologies