Should I choose mesmer?

Should I choose mesmer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

#5: Read the 1,000 other posts here and then decide.

Should I choose mesmer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ayanavi.1904

Ayanavi.1904

1. It fares well in WvW depending on build. I have no problem racking up kills, or supporting my team with things like feedback and iBerserker, as well as Temporal Curtain and Portal/Timewarp.

2. Solo Levelling may be harder for you than other classes. We kill things slower and have issues tagging mobs for credit in large Dynamic Events – However, I personally have no issue killing one, or even 5-10 mobs at a time by kiting. It just, as I mentioned, will take much longer and more effort.

3. We’re highly useful for shortening dungeons filled with traps or mobility gimmicks. Thanks to things like Timewarp, Null Field, and Feedback, we’re also capable of playing a jack-of-all-trades role and helping support multiple classes. However, because of our adaptability, we lack the ability to be really good at any one thing. You are an omni-supplementary profession, to reinforce everyone else.

Edit: This is misleading – We are entirely capable of being REALLY good at ONE thing. However, to do so, we give up our adaptability, and vice-versa.

4. some weapons are lackluster, others are nice. Our skills are varied, and most lack any good synergy without traiting specifically for them – Mantras, for example. We have a lot of options, but the key is knowing which options to use and when.

5. Mesmer has a learning curve to it. It’s generally agreed that Mesmers need to put forth more effort into what they do in order to get the same effects as other professions – The trade off is that we are singularly capable of doing a great number of things. Because of this, how much you enjoy Mesmer, and whether you’re any good or not, is highly dependent on finding a comfortable role to fill, and catering your traits and gear towards that.

But I don’t think Mesmer “suddenly becomes awesome” at 80, really. If you don’t find a niche you enjoy filling earlier, hitting 80 won’t magically open the golden path for you. We’re a very individual-centric profession. No two Mesmer really enjoy playing the exact same way.

(edited by Ayanavi.1904)

Should I choose mesmer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

Well i do not feel i can answer most of those questions as a level 80 would since my mesmer is only 32 but I have a 80 necro, thief, engineer, and guardian so ill state what i observed. First ill start with WvWvW. Ive seen some amazing mesmers in wvwvw with the use of portals making it easier to get more forces to our team quicker, illusions provide confusion to other players and it is sad to see nerfs to phantasms those things used to me amazing to see since they did good damage, took a few hits and helped pushed back players back while the mesmer was on top of walls.

I have a issue on how i want to play mine for solo play and leveling so I cant help you here.

I dont see many mesmers in instance but when I do they are great support to have overall. Reflect projectiles and mimic can destroy npcs and do very nice dmage to alot of boss’s once you figure out what things can be reflected or returned back to a mob.

I love most of the skills my level 32 has unlocked, nice variety and i love the portal skill they get. Makes jump puzzles a breeze to help guildies or others complete if you are good at completing them. Also alot of fun to see mobs run back and forth with my port and portal trick.

Still have alot to learn before i can give out tips.

Should I choose mesmer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Omen.4796

Omen.4796

1. Portal is basically the main thing Mesmer brings. You’re rather limited to GS/manta heavily ranged-based specs, but most classes stick to range when possible in large fights anyway. Mesmer’s shine when in voice comms and can time portal chains from supply camps to towers. Null Field is brilliant and Time Warp also has it’s moments.

2. You’ll hate it for the first ~40 levels. Mesmer’s are also fairly bad at orr farming (compared to almost any other class) and won’t get nearly as much karma/tags etc.

3. Any class can be good. Time Warp, Illusion of Life and Mass Invis./Veil (for Arah) are party-changers.

4. They sync well together.

5. You’ll want to have basically one of every weapon on you at all times. Torch 4 for blasting, Focus for speed/wall pull, Pistol for most pvp combat.

I’ve got an 80 Guardian, Thief, Ele and Mesmer and hardly put any time into the others anymore.