Signet of Inspiration: Hello traveler runes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

I can’t believe I got excited when I first heard they were adding swiftness to the passive on SoI.

Then this happened:

Signet of Inspiration

Reduced recharge of this skill to 30 seconds. The passive for this signet now gives 5 seconds of swiftness plus one other random boon every 10 seconds. It no longer gives swiftness as one of it’s random boons.

I thought I would finally be able to run something other than Travelers/Speed runes on my Mes, but it is not to be. I know some people will say it is better than nothing, but are crumbs enough when you were expecting cake.

So basically the signet will give 5 secs swiftness and then 5 sec normal speed on constant rotation. This seems like a poor compromise, though I not sure why there needs to be a compromise.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Would have had more synergy if they kept the old Signet of Midnight.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

I agree, I was a little bummed about it too, but I don’t think perma-Swiftness was really such a good idea either. (I think Engies just lost their ability to easily get perma-swiftness unless they use Medkit.)

Let’s not forget though that with a little effort you can get a fairly reasonable Swiftness uptime and run a much better rune set such as Air or Pack. Either of these will give you a 65% uptime of Swiftness OOC, more with Air actually since you could use a heal to get another 6.5s.

In fact, really both of them will approach near 100% uptime if you factor in the on-heal of Air, or the off-hit in combat for Pack runes.

Taking a utility slot for this definitely hurts, but you do get that added Boon. (Which now has a slightly higher chance of being something good, since Swiftness is gone as a RNG proc.)

Edit:

Anet probably also feared making it 10s Swiftness because that would stack upon itself and over time produce extreme levels of Swiftness that you could AE boon-share with the active.

in Mesmer

Vague Memory.2817

None of those solutions sound satisfactory to me. I think I’ll stick with Travelers. If the swiftness was every 10sec it would be perm swiftness and non-stacking, as it would run out as new swiftness was applied. There would be no overlap, bar outside sources.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Would have had more synergy if they kept the old Signet of Midnight.

I guess technically 5.5s of Swiftness instead of 5s is “more synergy”.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

None of those solutions sound satisfactory to me. I think I’ll stick with Travelers. If the swiftness was every 10sec it would be perm swiftness and non-stacking, as it would run out as new swiftness was applied. There would be no overlap, bar outside sources.

Jeez, you get a free 50% uptime on swiftness and you’re still not happy? Some people are so needy. Even engineers got their speedy kits nerfed down to 50% uptime now.

50% uptime on swiftness (with zero boom duration) is roughly 10% slower than travelers. Additionally, swapping on a focus will bump your swiftness uptime right to essentially 100%, so that’s quite easy access to permanent swiftness.

On top of all that, we’re getting an awesome 25% movement trait in chrono.

I don’t understand how it’s possible to complain about this. ‘I know you gave us a ton of nice stuff Anet, but I think this stuff, despite being normal to what other classes get, should he better!’

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

I think the only real annoying part is that our primary on demand Swiftness skill, temporal curtain, doesn’t play well with other sources of swiftness.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

50% uptime is more than enough. Some people tend to forget that while we get new ways to gain speed buffs, we’re not losing the old ones. As Pyro said, Focus is still there. So is Blink, Staff 360 noscope or Time Marches on.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lana Del Rey.1873

Lana Del Rey.1873

You forgot the Chronomancer’s trait ‘Time Marches On’ which basically gives you the desired +25% movement buff (PLUS reduction of movement-impairing conditions).

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey, is that true?

in Mesmer

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

Pretty sure I didnt, yo :0

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I think the only real annoying part is that our primary on demand Swiftness skill, temporal curtain, doesn’t play well with other sources of swiftness.

As far as I can figure out the reason it doesn’t stack is so people can’t just run through the curtain many times and get something like 2 minutes of swiftness.

I know, it sucks but I can see why it works how it works and that changing it is perhaps way more effort than it’s worth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

I can’t believe I got excited when I first heard they were adding swiftness to the passive on SoI.

Then this happened:

Signet of Inspiration

Reduced recharge of this skill to 30 seconds. The passive for this signet now gives 5 seconds of swiftness plus one other random boon every 10 seconds. It no longer gives swiftness as one of it’s random boons.

I thought I would finally be able to run something other than Travelers/Speed runes on my Mes, but it is not to be. I know some people will say it is better than nothing, but are crumbs enough when you were expecting cake.

So basically the signet will give 5 secs swiftness and then 5 sec normal speed on constant rotation. This seems like a poor compromise, though I not sure why there needs to be a compromise.

Geez… if you can’t live with the signet swiftness offered in upcoming patch, just hold off until HoT expansion drops then. As others have said, you’ll be getting a free passive 25% run speed increase on a minor trait…

in Mesmer

Windwalker.7421

If Swiftness was 10s base, then it would be 13s with 30% Swiftness duration granted from Pack or Air runes, plus whatever other sources of Boon duration you can muster.

That means every time SoI cycles it would cast another 13s Swiftness, and quickly add up to 2m or whatever the cap is. The only way to avoid that would be to break it the way they broke our Focus, making it not play nice with other Swiftness which IMO would be worse than the 5s base thing.

Perma Swiftness is stupid, perma-any-Boon is if you ask me, it defeats the purpose of boons. As Pyro said, 50% uptime is fine. It’s not wow, but it’ll do compared to our current choices. I would much rather run Pack or Air runes then Travelers any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

in Mesmer

Vague Memory.2817

If Swiftness was 10s base, then it would be 13s with 30% Swiftness duration granted from Pack or Air runes, plus whatever other sources of Boon duration you can muster.

That means every time SoI cycles it would cast another 13s Swiftness, and quickly add up to 2m or whatever the cap is. The only way to avoid that would be to break it the way they broke our Focus, making it not play nice with other Swiftness which IMO would be worse than the 5s base thing.

Perma Swiftness is stupid, perma-any-Boon is if you ask me, it defeats the purpose of boons. As Pyro said, 50% uptime is fine. It’s not wow, but it’ll do compared to our current choices. I would much rather run Pack or Air runes then Travelers any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Perma swiftness is just that, permanent, duration increases don’t make it even more permanent.

It may be fine for you guys but it isn’t for me. Some in the Mes community are very good at expecting little, and happy with getting less in return.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Perma swiftness is just that, permanent, duration increases don’t make it even more permanent.

It may be fine for you guys but it isn’t for me. Some in the Mes community are very good at expecting little, and happy with getting less in return.

And some of us are very good at demanding ‘We want more more more!! Whatever you give us isn’t good enough!’

We got enormous access to cripple in the new traits. This allows us to have drastically better control over the mobility of fights we’re in. Combined with solid uptime ok swiftness, this makes Mesmer mobility in a fight pretty fantastic.

If you’re not in a fight, you’re not in combat. Quit being lazy, swap on a focus, press 4, and swap it back out. Congratulations! You’ve achieved 100% swiftness uptime by using 3 buttons!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

If you don’t want to use Focus or go in Chronomancer line, using Chaotic Persistence (Chaos line) should probably band aid and give us near perma swiftness or even perma.

Put yourself some boons to start : Chaos Storm, Chaos Armor or Bountiful Disillusionment, slap Rune of the Pack into it and tada perma swiftness.

In combat, you’ll get perma swiftness for sure if you use the Staff or Boons on shatter or anything giving you boons. I’m currently eyeing Rune of Radiance for theorycrafting purpose (It also gives swiftness when you have an aura and longer Chaos Armor = more reduction = more chaos storm and chaos armor)

(edited by Krispera.5087)

in Mesmer

Vague Memory.2817

And some of us are very good at demanding ‘We want more more more!! Whatever you give us isn’t good enough!’

We got enormous access to cripple in the new traits. This allows us to have drastically better control over the mobility of fights we’re in. Combined with solid uptime ok swiftness, this makes Mesmer mobility in a fight pretty fantastic.

If you’re not in a fight, you’re not in combat. Quit being lazy, swap on a focus, press 4, and swap it back out. Congratulations! You’ve achieved 100% swiftness uptime by using 3 buttons!

It not quite being lazy, as being impractical and clumsy. In WvW a few times I being running back to the Zerg with a focus for speed and been jumped. Really not the best weapon (especially untraited) to be caught out with. I’d rather just have a full passive on a signet since we don’t have a build saver.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

It not quite being lazy, as being impractical and clumsy. In WvW a few times I being running back to the Zerg with a focus for speed and been jumped. Really not the best weapon (especially untraited) to be caught out with. I’d rather just have a full passive on a signet since we don’t have a build saver.

Perma swiftness solo no longer exists in the game without cost. It was produced by swiftness linked to traits and skills with no opportunity cost. That stops now. If you want perma then run with a group. Or pay a cost.

If a warrior wants to use signet of rage and horn they get to deal with boon removal which leaves them without a trace of swiftness.

An ele has to combo skills to get swiftness, they don’t get to use of one. Perhaps the glyph heal but do you want to start combat without your heal?

Thieves can’t waste dodges as much anymore, but they still have to waste heal for perma. If you have a problem with that role a thief. Extreme mobility in and out of combat is in their class design not ours.

Necro can easily have swiftness stripped, they don’t make that many boons.

I don’t know what else has to be said.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

(edited by Daniel Handler.4816)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

Too bad crippled does not affect movement skills anymore so warriors/hs spamming thieves/ sd gs rangers / or anything else with more mobility skills than us will still escape fairly easy. Also that trait looks underwheling when compared to power block imo.

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

I don’t think 50% uptime is horrible as a passive that you can share. Other things you might want to consider:

• Pack/Centaur/Air runes
  • Other runes that I don’t know about because I’m a pvper?
  • Focus Curtain
  • Boon duration food
  • Engi perma speed was just nerfed.
  • Chrono has 25%+ movement speed grandfathered in. This doesn’t even include the totally powerful additional effect of reducing conditions that effect your speed.
  • If you’re not in combat, I’m pretty sure there are plenty of ways to get 100% uptime? Again, I don’t wvw, so I’m unsure.
  • If you are in combat, we have ample ways to chase. Better access to torment, cripple, 1200 blink (don’t forget mimic for the 2400 distance blink!) and this doesn’t even include your own sources of swiftness.

I’m sorry you’re disappointed, but this is a pretty legit move on Anet all things considered from my POV.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Windwalker.7421

Sheesh! As I said above, the problem is with SHARING that 2m Swiftness with 5 people around you! It kinda defeats the purpose of Swiftness being a boon, when you can just hand everyone a 2m stack of it every 30s. :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

As a huge proponent of Mesmers getting more OOC speed:
I can work with the new SoI … hell, it’ll actually get back on my freakin utility bar for the first time in months. Not to mention, popping Air Runes instead of Traveler for a bit more damage potential.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

As a huge proponent of Mesmers getting more OOC speed:
I can work with the new SoI … hell, it’ll actually get back on my freakin utility bar for the first time in months. Not to mention, popping Air Runes instead of Traveler for a bit more damage potential.

i’m not sure about air runes actually having more damage, it depends heavily on your crit chance.

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Didn’t chronomancer get a passive 25 movement speed minor

in Mesmer

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

This is why I can’t wait for HoT. Need that 25% Mov speed & CC duration decrease.

in Mesmer

Vague Memory.2817

The Chronomancer passive speed increase is obviously very nice, but it’s tied to a trait line. Taking into account the new specialization system it will be far more difficult to swap out on the fly than say a signet would. Also HoT isn’t getting released any time soon.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

The Chronomancer passive speed increase is obviously very nice, but it’s tied to a trait line. Taking into account the new specialization system it will be far more difficult to swap out on the fly than say a signet would. Also HoT isn’t getting released any time soon.

Well luckily for you, the signet is a pretty darn good option considering all the other options we have in conjunction.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Well if paired with air or centaur runes it could provide quite a bit of swiftness

(centaur also gives -50% cripple duration on you)

It also looks quite well if you use it in combination with temporal curtain.

Add this to the new run speed trait chronomancer got and it makes my guardian & necro jealous.