Skills that could need some love

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Mimic
This skill is absolute trash. Not stealing but copying all boons for the same duration they were before is ok. The problem with this skill is the cooldown. It is not worth taking if the cooldown is as high as it is right now. To make mesmers run that skill one should maybe decrease the cooldown to 10-15s.
Or rework it! There have been so many cool and creative ideas on the forum. Please Robert =)

Illusionary Riposte/Counter
The skills and their effects are cool. The problem with these two is the aftercast which is performed on block. We even get a buff which shows that we block so that everyone knows what is happening. The enemy shouldn’t get a second chance. And if this is to fix extremly well timed blocks… reward skillful play pls!

Signet of Midnight
Underwhelming in every part of it. This skill is doesn’t really give you anything cool. The passive effect is just nothing that any player (unless chaos maestros) ever feel while playing. The active effect is just a blind and a stunbreak. There is not a single reason why this should have a 30s cooldown. As it is right now: Completly useless.

Illusion of Life
This is something one could argue about. This skill has imo no use in pve/wvw. When rezzing someone with IoLife the person goes into a state where they bypass the next downstate (most of them just die). In addition this skill has extremly high cooldown… wow.

Mind Stab
Still no blast finisher? Why? This skill fits even better than any warhorn-blast in the game.

Illusionary Leap
One thing I don’t understand is why we shouldn’t have a gapcloser that works without a target. These classes have target independed gap closers: Thief, Engineer, Ranger, Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist, Necromancer (Reaper).
The next thing which I cannot understand is: Why can our gapcloser be killed. Even IF we are in ranger and HAVE a target in many cases the clone is just destroyed and doesn’t do anything. The patch which turned this skill to only work when the clone is alive turned it into a much powerless skill.
If not reverting that change, then why are we the only class that cannot deal damage with their gapcloser?

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Signet of Midnight has a really strong active, 24 sec cd Traited stunbreak + Aoe blind?
This is INSTANT too, very useful for safe stomping when you have distortion is on CD.

The only thing that this thing needs is an improved passive effect.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

I have to agree with Mindblossom, the active effect of Sognet of Midnight isn’t all that either. We will soon have 240 radius AE blind on every shatter, so one more with a slightly bigger radius is hardly ground breaking.

Granted you have a stun break, but we have a lot of better utilities with one of those.

I do agree of course that the passive is just terrible and exacerbates the issues for this underperforming Signet.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

Midnight , Illusionary riposte/counter and mimic need improvements or changes, the others are fine (from pvp perspective). Illusion of life is strong, mind stab and illusionary leap are very as well.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Mirror could do with a small buff to healing – something like 4.5k base.

Mimic needs to be scrapped/redesigned. Very sad to lose the bubble shield.

Signet of Illusions needs tweaking – cast time, cooldown, illusion health… not sure exactly what to do with it but at the moment it’s not good enough.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Valderro.6389

Valderro.6389

It was disappointing that mimic lost the block, probably to add a block skill to the shield. It would be neat if the 4 sec block was returned and if the toggle skill added up all the damage blocked then did 20% of the damage to 5 targets.

Signet of Midnight could make a smoke field around the mesmer when activated, so there is a slight synergy between getting to combo for stealth, the boon duration and the boons from PU.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Signet of midnight could simply grant aoe stealth in addition to blind – gives a nice alternative to decoy as well as giving signet builds something nice.

Not sure about the passive – currently it sucks, so something needs to be done.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

The biggest issue with Illusion of Life is the fact that it puts people in a state that if nothing they are in combat with is killed, they are worse off than if you had used the ability.

You could technically use Illusion of Life during some large event with a boss (and no adds at the time) in order to troll anyone that is downed. It’s “not cool”.

Some people talk about how “great” it is in PvP, but all an opposing team has to do is play defensive or “back off” until the pseudo-rezzed players fall over dead.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

The biggest issue with Illusion of Life is the fact that it puts people in a state that if nothing they are in combat with is killed, they are worse off than if you had used the ability.

You could technically use Illusion of Life during some large event with a boss (and no adds at the time) in order to troll anyone that is downed. It’s “not cool”.

Some people talk about how “great” it is in PvP, but all an opposing team has to do is play defensive or “back off” until the pseudo-rezzed players fall over dead.

You hit a conundrum. How do you balance an instant revival with a skill that can technically be cast from 5000 feet or in stealth. There is a reason the closest thing a thief has to a revival skill is shadows refuge. Also remember this isn’t like a warriors self rez, if your target doesnt kill anyone they just down again with an additional down penalty.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

You hit a conundrum. How do you balance an instant revival with a skill that can technically be cast from 5000 feet or in stealth. There is a reason the closest thing a thief has to a revival skill is shadows refuge. Also remember this isn’t like a warriors self rez, if your target doesnt kill anyone they just down again with an additional down penalty.

Which ironically the skill balances itself with it being only a pseudo-res. Also based from my semi extensive pvp experience using this skill, it only has 900 range and it’s not instant.. BUT i do not know if I understood your original statement so I apologize in advance if I did.

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

You balance it by the fact that it is providing nothing else … unlike other rezzes like:

• Warrior Banner which provides other boons
  • Necro Signet that provides passive Life Force generation

Though, honestly, if they don’t want us to have a real rez skill … get rid of it and give us a good manipulation in its place. I’d love that. I’ve never once used Illusion of Life.

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

You balance it by the fact that it is providing nothing else … unlike other rezzes like:

Though, honestly, if they don’t want us to have a real rez skill … get rid of it and give us a good manipulation in its place. I’d love that. I’ve never once used Illusion of Life.

This.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

You gotta remember, Banner is an elite, long cast time, double the cooldown of IoL.
Signet is also double the cast time of IoL, on a longer cooldown too.

Traited, you can use IoL more frequently, (we can cast it from stealth, because we have stealth)

So I think the comparison for changing this is a bit iffy.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

Fair enough … I’d still rather have something else :-p

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

This might change your mind.

:3

in Mesmer

Daniel Handler.4816

Which ironically the skill balances itself with it being only a pseudo-res. Also based from my semi extensive pvp experience using this skill, it only has 900 range and it’s not instant.. BUT i do not know if I understood your original statement so I apologize in advance if I did.

Remember any skill with a cast time can be precasted, and as long as you are within range when the cast ends it succeeds. When the skill is completed it instantly revives them, versus a rangers search and rescue which revives over time. But yes I could have been clearer.

Portal entre>leave and do whatever, ally downs on portal, cast illusion of life at ground >Portal exeunt>ally takes exit portal.

Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

Remember any skill with a cast time can be precasted, and as long as you are within range when the cast ends it succeeds. When the skill is completed it instantly revives them, versus a rangers search and rescue which revives over time. But yes I could have been clearer.

Portal entre>leave and do whatever, ally downs on portal, cast illusion of life at ground >Portal exeunt>ally takes exit portal.

But this will be very hard to precast, its only 1.4 second cast time (of course not in the case of ideal scenarios) so we are talking about ideal situations here.

in Mesmer

Daniel Handler.4816

But this will be very hard to precast, its only 1.4 second cast time (of course not in the case of ideal scenarios) so we are talking about ideal situations here.

Not at all. The fact that you have portal means you literally can open the exit, wait for f to appear, begin casting and immediately press f and it will work every time.

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

Not at all. The fact that you have portal means you literally can open the exit, wait for f to appear, begin casting and immediately press f and it will work every time.

Point taken, I just won’t say it will work everytime. IoL has its tendency of failing for some reason. But overall fair points.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

I have to agree here. I just don’t see the point of this skill as-is.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

I guess I’ll throw my Mimic idea in here.

Mimic
Manipulation. Daze your target. If it interrupted a non elite non healing skill, that skill goes on cooldown and Mimic becomes that skill until cast.
Daze: 1 second
Range: 900
40 sec cooldown

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

This might change your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsHh8ccFUk
:3

While that’s nice, that happens so little though … I’d rather take a utility that is useful in far more situations than a pseudo rez. A real rez skill is useful in far more situations.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

Perhaps illusion of life could rez a player without the ability to heal until he’s made a kill?

in Mesmer

Daniel Handler.4816

Remember with new traits, under optimal conditions, you could perform it in .5 second casting time. You could also perform it at least twice during a battle. With reductions and alacrity it can be cast every 64 seconds.