So I refuse to farm for Leadership Runes...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

…Because I can only stand Dragon’s Stand (ha!) so many times, and I’m terrible at PvP and nobody deserves the burden of having me on their WvW team.

Also, while I can craft a full set of zerker/commander ascended armour and weapons, I can’t grind those six runes. Especially since I then have to buy that ridiculously priced sigil. <_<

I’m wondering, are the Leadership Runes so ridiculously good that they can’t be replaced with something else? I was thinking 4 x Traveler runes + Surging Runes, and perhaps dash on a Commander’s Amulet to compensate for the lost Boon Duration?

While at it, the Sup. Sigil of Concentration seems like a game changer. I’ve a difficult time believing you can use any other Sigil as a replacement (except perhaps the Major/Minor version, if you’re an expert with minute awareness of your cooldowns). Do our PvE performance make or break, dependant on this Sigil, or are there acceptable replacements while I grind the gold/pearls needed to afford this baby?

This is mainly for fractals, mind, though I may be playing a few (non-tank) support-chrono raids further down the road. I mean to function optimally without having to depend on the presence of a Herald.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

They are that good and DS isn’t that bad. It is possible to run a worse build yes, but leadership is meta for a reason.

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

You can use durability runes as an alternative to leadership. Its 10% less boon duration, so you will need more commanders/minstrels gear to get back to 100% boon duration (or just use more platinum doubloons on your accessories). But it is possible if you want to use them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: expandas.7051

expandas.7051

Purchasing superior runes of the water is an easily accessible way to obtain 20% boon duration as well.

in Mesmer

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

So not getting the runes means you have to pad up your Boon Duration in another manner, either constantly using the stupid expensive utility buff (the boon duration stones that take 3 platinum doubloons for 5) or by adding in commander’s gear. However, commander’s gear will only take you so far. Full commander’s for armor is only 13% and full trinkets is 20%. By doing this means you cannot play anything but tank, you cannot swap over to the secondary chrono position, you lock yourself into tank. The whole reason we use the runes is so we don’t do this.

The sigil is by far the easiest way to help up that boon duration without trading raw damage. If it helps, equip the shield in the secondary slot (meaning the sword only in the first slot and the shield only in the second) so you don’t have to rely on muscle memory for cooldown tells. This one thing gives you more boon duration than a full set of Leadership runes for 7 seconds…it’s worth it, if not completely annoying to use. Trust me, I’ve been trying to replace it but I can’t justify the cost of using the utility buff for the exchange. This weapon swap will become almost reflexive as you continue to play the profession.

in Mesmer

Malice.8439

I’m already doing Sw/Focus + -/Shield, for that very reason.

I hadn’t considered that too much Commanders gear would lock me into a tanking role. That’s a very good point.

It would appear that I can’t escape having to farm Silverwastes for a few days to afford that Superior Sigil, then.

- Sun Tzu, Art of War

in Mesmer

Posted by: Third Degree Ember.6430

Third Degree Ember.6430

Just get a bunch of exotic trinkets and add platinum doubloons.

Something like this might work: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAs+cncfC9fiFoBmfCEgiFVj6MIWiprOZn2qlMAGhiD-TViFQBAQJozm/IwHAwRWYweqQAn9BohyvBp+yZ0LIKgAD-w

EDIT: I didn’t see that you’re mainly concerned with fractals. 5 stacks of the mist mobility potion at 150 AR adds 15% boon duration. With a superior sigil of concentration (33% on swap), you only need 52% boon duration. If you’re willing to pop 20% boon duration food, you’ll need 32% from gear to reach full boon duration.

How about something like this? http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAs+cncfC9fiFoBufCUrhFVj6MIWiprOZn2qlMAGhiD-TliSABCruhmzAmRvwELM48DAAAlB8sPwTqkEiSQJU6JKgAD-w

(edited by Third Degree Ember.6430)

in Mesmer

rabidsmiles.5926

I hadn’t considered that too much Commanders gear would lock me into a tanking role. That’s a very good point.

It would appear that I can’t escape having to farm Silverwastes for a few days to afford that Superior Sigil, then.

The sigil is pretty much the linchpin to the basic boon duration build. If I could ditch it, it would be a happy day but giving up 33% boon duration for a weapon swap hurts.

I know the Leadership runes woes, I never willingly go into DS anymore because I cannot stand that map; my guildmates even pointed out that it seemed like I lived there. It’s not easy just tossing away 30% boon duration because I didn’t want to farm DS or WvW. I figured that if I was going to commit fully to making a boon duration Chrono, I better just do it right. Why spend so much gold if I wasn’t going to go 100% into it?

The 4 Traveler’s runes and 2 water will work, if you aren’t planning on raiding much (or plan to always tank), the Durability Runes or the Herald Runes are a good substitute as well. I’d still suggest when you see a new map open for DS, just do one daily and eventually you can replace out the runes for the Leadership ones.

in Mesmer

Malice.8439

I’m currently aiming for something like this:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAs+dnsIClfiFoB+fCEgiFVjiMAGhi7MIGiprOZn2qF-TRSBQBA4kAcP9CXRp3EfAA8b/BKp+yBVh4iKDIpSQSBE4YA-e

I notice you use a Greatsword in your build. I find that intriguing, would you mind telling me more about it?

- Sun Tzu, Art of War

in Mesmer

rabidsmiles.5926

I’m currently aiming for something like this:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAs+dnsIClfiFoB+fCEgiFVjiMAGhi7MIGiprOZn2qF-TRSBQBA4kAcP9CXRp3EfAA8b/BKp+yBVh4iKDIpSQSBE4YA-e

I notice you use a Greatsword in your build. I find that intriguing, would you mind telling me more about it?

That is almost exactly what I run on mine. You can swap out the ascended amulet for an exotic Commander’s one, as you cannot put an agony infusion there, so you can get a little more boon duration. You can do the same with the back piece if you need the extra there but you lose one slot for AR, meaning everything else has to be +9 at the minimum. I use a Knights sometimes, so I can add the extra toughness to my tank zerk build if needed. This is mine: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAse8NSAAgaA-ThSBQBfbGC/2f4hKDm4DA4e6HAwJBQWKBpk6LHUFiro0jIAlxA-e

With the amulet swap out, I can use the level 70 food from my WvW provisions box and never have to spend a copper on food. Heck, in Fractals with my omni pot, I don’t even have to use boon duration food with that build.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

As someone who just finished farming leadership runes…

It’s not so bad, but the fact a meta item is locked behind such a stupidly tedious wall for optimal play in raids is such a slap to the face from A-net.

That being said, there is something nice about being able to keep 100% quickness without time warp… But this should not be a premium if this is the only way people consider us useful.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

You can chrono tank without ever touching a sigil of concentration. There are plenty of 100% boon duration builds that never touch it. Don’t just blindly follow the meta build. Especially when you are complaining about something that doesn’t even need to be done in the first place.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

The sigil is pretty much the linchpin to the basic boon duration build. If I could ditch it, it would be a happy day but giving up 33% boon duration for a weapon swap hurts.

I know the Leadership runes woes, I never willingly go into DS anymore because I cannot stand that map; my guildmates even pointed out that it seemed like I lived there. It’s not easy just tossing away 30% boon duration because I didn’t want to farm DS or WvW. I figured that if I was going to commit fully to making a boon duration Chrono, I better just do it right. Why spend so much gold if I wasn’t going to go 100% into it?

The 4 Traveler’s runes and 2 water will work, if you aren’t planning on raiding much (or plan to always tank), the Durability Runes or the Herald Runes are a good substitute as well. I’d still suggest when you see a new map open for DS, just do one daily and eventually you can replace out the runes for the Leadership ones.

This sums it up pretty nice. Mesmer builds tend to be expensive so its always better to go all out and get optimal gear. The performance return for farming DS is huge.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mochizuki.7385

Mochizuki.7385

How exactly does full comm gear lock you into tank role? You don’t really do damage anyway…

in Mesmer

Malice.8439

How exactly does full comm gear lock you into tank role? You don’t really do damage anyway…

I’d say it’s because your toughness goes too high.

- Sun Tzu, Art of War

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I’d say it’s because your toughness goes too high.

That’s correct. The tank role means aggro control, and aggro is determined (where applicable) by toughness. Since nobody except the tank should have any toughness on their gear (excepting the hand kiter at deimos anyway), full commander’s means you will tank, end of story.

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

If you’re group is not aiming for min/max everything, tank (especially in LFG) typically have >1400 toughness in case warrior revive trait mess up aggro. So just commander armors will give you around 1200 toughness and should still be sufficient. You also gain around 13% boon duration which is more than enough for covering expensive utility price. Ofc you can always reduce number of commander armors to suit your need.

in Mesmer

FrostDraco.8306

If you’re group is not aiming for min/max everything, tank (especially in LFG) typically have >1400 toughness in case warrior revive trait mess up aggro. So just commander armors will give you around 1200 toughness and should still be sufficient. You also gain around 13% boon duration which is more than enough for covering expensive utility price. Ofc you can always reduce number of commander armors to suit your need.

Its about 1200 toughness for the armor yes. My full commander chrono has 1654 with full commanders and leadership runes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Something to keep in mind, if we get this stat:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Seeker's_Amulet
(commanders – toughness, + ferocity)
Then seekers + scholar with be statistically superior to zerk+leadership.

and with an xpac on the horizon, I’d be willing to bet that it will come with new stats ( for PvE) such as seekers. Honestly there are several of the PvP amulets I’d like available, and this is one of them.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

and with an xpac on the horizon, I’d be willing to bet that it will come with new stats ( for PvE) such as seekers. Honestly there are several of the PvP amulets I’d like available, and this is one of them.

Maybe, but not necessarily. Leadership runes for utility spot mesmer are only mandatory since without them hitting the boon duration cap is quite hard (unlike minstrel for example, which you are essentially comparing this set to). Yet even minstrel tank mesmers are required to take boon duration in either rune or doublon form. Using sholar runes might be to much a hit in boon duration loss.

To lazy to do the exact math, hence why I said, maybe. The fact that you have an alternative to leadership is interesting though.

in Mesmer

Artemis Thuras.8795

Maybe, but not necessarily. Leadership runes for utility spot mesmer are only mandatory since without them hitting the boon duration cap is quite hard (unlike minstrel for example, which you are essentially comparing this set to). Yet even minstrel tank mesmers are required to take boon duration in either rune or doublon form. Using sholar runes might be to much a hit in boon duration loss.

To lazy to do the exact math, hence why I said, maybe. The fact that you have an alternative to leadership is interesting though.

lose 30% from leadership, gain 42% from concentration ( 633 from a full set).
633/15 = 42%. Same concentration as on a full commander set. Granted, min-max would dictate taking commander legs on a zerk build, but that isn’t 12% worth of concentration.

Compare zerk leadership with full commander + scholar on gw2skills.net. Just remember to reduce toughness by 633, and raise fero by 633.

in Mesmer

Cyninja.2954

633/15 = 42%. Same concentration as on a full commander set. Granted, min-max would dictate taking commander legs on a zerk build, but that isn’t 12% worth of concentration.

Compare zerk leadership with full commander + scholar on gw2skills.net. Just remember to reduce toughness by 633, and raise fero by 633.

Edit, found the mistake.

Still with 633 concentration you are not addressing how you plan to get to 100% boon duration. What you are conveniantely leaving out is:

Current builds running commanders have boon duration runes in place, use exotic trinkets for doublon slots, use concentration sigils for boon duration on weapon swap, use boon duration buff food, or any combination of the above.

Let’s assume 42% boon duration base, with Sharpening Stones (+10%) and 20% boon duration food, and Sigil of Concentration (33%) is literally the only way to run Scholar runes. You now have effectively 72-100% boon duration depending on how well you manage with Sigil of concentration in your rotation.

I stand by my assessment, it is a nice sidegrade for opening up other rune possibilities, not sure Scholar is the best pick though, especially on still the worst dps in the game.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

in Mesmer

Artemis Thuras.8795

Edit, found the mistake.

Still with 633 concentration you are not addressing how you plan to get to 100% boon duration. What you are conveniantely leaving out is:

Current builds running commanders have boon duration runes in place, use exotic trinkets for doublon slots, use concentration sigils for boon duration on weapon swap, use boon duration buff food, or any combination of the above.

Let’s assume 42% boon duration base, with Sharpening Stones (+10%) and 20% boon duration food, and Sigil of Concentration (33%) is literally the only way to run Scholar runes. You now have effectively 72-100% boon duration depending on how well you manage with Sigil of concentration in your rotation.

I stand by my assessment, it is a nice sidegrade for opening up other rune possibilities, not sure Scholar is the best pick though, especially on still the worst dps in the game.

Except you don’t need 100% boon duration to perma quickness.
And you just explained a way of getting 100% boon duration.

in Mesmer

Cyninja.2954

Edit, found the mistake.

No you don’t true, but then again you also don’t need damage maximisation on the WEAKEST damage dealer in your raid group.

Put on some Herald runes and provide protection freeing up one of the other classes which is actually decent at doing damage to do just that (elementalists for example).

Stick to leadership runes for easy condition cleanse and freeing up trinkets to be ascended instead of exotic (as in current meta) or any variation thereof or drop the sigil of concentration in favor of a simpler rotation to make room for error.

It’s a sidegrade on a not even yet implemented stat combination.

in Mesmer

Artemis Thuras.8795

Edit, found the mistake.

No you don’t true, but then again you also don’t need damage maximisation on the WEAKEST damage dealer in your raid group.

Put on some Herald runes and provide protection freeing up one of the other classes which is actually decent at doing damage to do just that (elementalists for example).

Stick to leadership runes for easy condition cleanse and freeing up trinkets to be ascended instead of exotic (as in current meta) or any variation thereof or drop the sigil of concentration in favor of a simpler rotation to make room for error.

It’s a sidegrade on a not even yet implemented stat combination.

I’ll just wait for you to run the numbers for yourself.

in Mesmer

Malice.8439

I guess what I fear the most here isn’t the grind in itself, but the non-permeability of it all.

I want to put these runes into ascended armour. Unlike exotic armour, I can’t just use a BLT-salvage set on them and re-craft the armour. The beauty of ascended armour is that you can change it’s stats – but the idea of having to redo the Leadership rune farm?…

I don’t see how people can be so comfortable with putting leadership runes into anything but legendary armour.

- Sun Tzu, Art of War

in Mesmer

Artemis Thuras.8795

I guess what I fear the most here isn’t the grind in itself, but the non-permeability of it all.

I want to put these runes into ascended armour. Unlike exotic armour, I can’t just use a BLT-salvage set on them and re-craft the armour. The beauty of ascended armour is that you can change it’s stats – but the idea of having to redo the Leadership rune farm?…

I don’t see how people can be so comfortable with putting leadership runes into anything but legendary armour.

A lot of mesmer’s aren’t bothering to farm/buy leadership runes for this very reason. Personally I’m sticking with just a commander/herald set, swapping trinkets about until at least the next xpac, in case we get seekers stats. Even though I have the currency to buy probably 3-4 full sets of leadership runes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zlater.6789

Zlater.6789

This was something I am vested into at the moment, so I did some easy math.

Total stat contribution
Durability: 600
Traveller + water: 590
Traveller + water without condi: 420
Herald: 400 (+protection when no druid)
Leadership: 702
Leadership without condi: 666

These are all suitable options. For every rune that also provides some bonus stats to condition damage or duration I also removed that stat because we are comparing the effectiveness of that rune.

There are many other points to mention that work in favor of leadership runes, but this just a bare bones look at what each of the runes bring.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

There aren’t actually many times where I can think many people would want to swap stats. Maybe the highest level fractals or if you play a non-DPS role in raids. Otherwise, it’s very comfortable to put leaderships in non-legendary armors.

I mean, even WITH stat swapping, are leadership runes always good for every situation? If you concerned about optimizing, you wouldn’t have leadership runes in legendary armor; you would have ascended sets for whatever you were doing, one of those having leadership runes. The whole idea of legendary armors is just dumb to begin with, because you can’t optimize with it since the runes are fixed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Kill You.9035

Me Kill You.9035

You might try eotm to get it using Proof of Heroics. Give it a few days of moderate playing and see how many you end up with. The early WvW levels are also pretty quick.

Jade Quarry [TPA]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

Just WvW and buy them from the Heroics Notary.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Izaru.4203

Izaru.4203

This is the build I use: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAs+cncfCFohlfC+fCEgiFVjqOZn2q9MIWipjMAGhiD-TRSBQBFSvQg2HYiPAAzoEEAnEgLqc5bLMQJ1fuiSqAAHAO/8zP/8z73f/93AA-e

I mostly solo though, so it has a decent mix so I can still kill stuff decently.

It is nice because you still hit 34% to get to <100% boon duration without having to worry about leadership or commander armor. If you have a Herald with you all the time, you can forego the concentration sigil or use different food. Getting to keep all ascended so you can put your infusions in for fractaling if you want to is also nice.

With all the new areas, it is so easy to get accessories that give you the commander stats with minor effort. The ideal ones to get are the blood stone ring and amulet from Bloodstone Fen as you can reset the stats on those for 100UM. You do loose any slotted infusions though, so make sure you extract them if you care enough to. After that, getting the accessory from Bitterfrost Frontier. Depending on how many alts you have, you can get enough berries in a day or two to get it.

The runes you can get off the TP for a small price so you don’t feel like you have to lose out too much when the new hotness comes out.

If you want to orient your stats in a different direction, just swap out the zerker accessories for the appropriate ones and your good to go.

I can only afford one set of gear really, and don’t have a lot of time to play. This seems to be a decent blend of fit and function for playing all game modes.

in Mesmer

FrostDraco.8306

This is the build I use: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAs+cncfCFohlfC+fCEgiFVjqOZn2q9MIWipjMAGhiD-TRSBQBFSvQg2HYiPAAzoEEAnEgLqc5bLMQJ1fuiSqAAHAO/8zP/8z73f/93AA-e

I mostly solo though, so it has a decent mix so I can still kill stuff decently.

It is nice because you still hit 34% to get to <100% boon duration without having to worry about leadership or commander armor. If you have a Herald with you all the time, you can forego the concentration sigil or use different food. Getting to keep all ascended so you can put your infusions in for fractaling if you want to is also nice.

With all the new areas, it is so easy to get accessories that give you the commander stats with minor effort. The ideal ones to get are the blood stone ring and amulet from Bloodstone Fen as you can reset the stats on those for 100UM. You do loose any slotted infusions though, so make sure you extract them if you care enough to. After that, getting the accessory from Bitterfrost Frontier. Depending on how many alts you have, you can get enough berries in a day or two to get it.

The runes you can get off the TP for a small price so you don’t feel like you have to lose out too much when the new hotness comes out.

If you want to orient your stats in a different direction, just swap out the zerker accessories for the appropriate ones and your good to go.

I can only afford one set of gear really, and don’t have a lot of time to play. This seems to be a decent blend of fit and function for playing all game modes.

>Sigil of force on mesmer tank……

Just no. You chould easily replace those with doubloons and take more rune bonuses for more stats.

And with rune of traveler, you might as well get herald runes. This build is just lazy. I don’t know what kind of person would use sigil of concentration……but skip herald runes.

If you are going to invest that much, you might as well go ham. Then you use 2 expensive sigils on a non-dps class. The moment you started adding commanders peices, and traveler runes, was the moment your sigil of force became even with a sigil of air, dps wise.

@OP: Just get herald runes, and use the new food from Draconis Mons. You will have a much cohesive build than these mishmashes.

(edited by FrostDraco.8306)