Solo taking camps - confusion mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blueday.6953

Blueday.6953

I’ve been trying to learn how to solo take a camp using a build loosely based on Kylia’s confusion spec mesmer and I’ve had absolutely no luck whatsoever. Aside from ganking, when I’m just practicing by myself I just get destroyed because there is way too much aggro.

So far I’ve figured out that taking out the scouts first makes it significantly easier because they’re doing all the ranged damage. The trick is taking out the scouts first. I’m an asuran and I attempt to take out the one with the pistol first by laying down two glamors and summoning clones and my 7-series golem, usually I can get him down and avoid most of the mobs, but I am almost never successful because the other scout always owns me.

I was hoping to find a video somewhere but I’ve found nothing. Anyone who has any tips would be awesome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

I’ve had some success in doing this, though it varies with how alert I am. (Mesmer requires lots of button presses and camera swivels and all that jazz to be fully effective.)

Confusion is a tough build to accomplish this with. Confusion against players is great, because they’ll execute several skills in rapid succession. Mobs don’t work that way, so our confusion damage comes down. (If you’re a confusion build though, you should have decent condition damage, so bring a staff.)

That said, luring out some vets without the supervisor helps quite a bit. Take them out and hope you can kill the supervisor before they respawn.

I find I’m most effective at medium to close range. So, round up whatever you’re attacking and AoE the kitten out of ’em. Shatters are AoE, staff is AoE/bounce, Blurred Frenzy (PBAoE) on the sword is a godsend when engaging multiple opponents.

Biggest boon here is teleporting all over the place. I usually run Staff + Sword/Focus. Phase Retreat and Blink both keep melee vets chasing after me, where Blurred Frenzy and Distortion keep them from doing serious damage. If there are ranged involved, throw an iWarden at one and Feedback on the other before trying to get everyone in AoE range. Vets are dumb, so they’ll stay in the Chaos Storm. If they are trying to get out of it, pull them back with Temporal Curtain. (Pull the ranged vets together using the curtain first, though.)

Above all, stay out of melee range of the supervisor. That hammer hurts, and knockdown with multiple vets targeting you hurts even more.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

You’ve got the right idea. Try pulling the mobs really far away so that you only fight 1-3 guards/scouts without the Guildmaster. Also, kill the scouts first because they blind you which is paiiiinnnnfulll…

Another tip is to get a scout/dolyak/upgradeguy/guard really low then ignoring him and fighting the rest, if you ever down, you switch back and finish them off. (Works better with Quaggans at the camp.)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

It’s really easy, I do it all the time. I don’t use glamours for my confusion though.

If you draw the NPC’s out a little, they’ll clump togeather. High stack confusion on the ranged NPC’s as they have a higher attack rate, and go down quicker. Kite the whole time. Then go for the charr, and knock the super out last. The gist is covered by the others. Id say glamour confusions are just weaker. The NPc’s arent moving in and out of the fields, and you have a longer cooldown with them. Shatter/sceptre is just better in this scenario.

in Mesmer

Posted by: drongas.4189

drongas.4189

i simple use s/f
use focus 4. then cast focus 5 and again 4. then ileap and sword 2. then dodge and again do same, btw i stay in centr of i warden, he protect me with reflect against scout

………..Gandara………..

I’m kill you’r bessies

in Mesmer

Posted by: grimmson.9154

grimmson.9154

it seems you are running solo so perhaps try a non glamour confusion build.
with that build I usually start with confusing images on one scout hiding behind my iMage (to avoid blind shots etc) then i start running into the scouts (best they stand together) i dodgeroll creating a clone wait till every mob is near and f1. after that image + warlock + f2. after that dodgeroll and let them hit you while invul with f4. normally scouts are ~40%, guard ~50% and supervisor is damaged too. start kiting in close range (dodgeing only supervisor) and focus the scouts down with staff conditions + shatters. throw in a prestige now with supereasy 3k burn and you should take the camp in ~70-80secs

but as said that is with a 0, 20, 20, 0, 30 build. which is more suited for solo or really small groups :\

(edited by grimmson.9154)

in Mesmer

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I can take camps with a glamor build. I use the staff and GS. The key I find is to make sure you use your clones. Keep the enemies stacked and move around. It may just not be your play style though. I keep going back to it because I love it and the other builds I find are just not as fun.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tqhx.2190

tqhx.2190

I take camps with a shatter build in full zerkers. Its all about knowing when to use that dodge roll. Blink and Decoy help too

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

Glamours are definately not going to be the easiest to take camps with. It’s one of the main things I didn’t like about glamour Mesmer and quickly switched to other builds. I mostly run solo in wvw unless my guild has something specific for me to do so a build that can kill yaks and take camps effectively is what I run. There are a number of builds, including condition damage ones, that can do this.

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mister Mustard.7203

Mister Mustard.7203

If you’re having a hard time using confusion, you can always keep the same build but swap some of the abilities and traits before you try to take the camp. When I ran that build, I would commonly switch to GS / Staff and make my traits more of a phantasm setup. It’s not perfect, but it worked better for me personally against NPC’s than trying to stick with the confusion.

in Mesmer

Posted by: samski.5194

samski.5194

OP What confusion build do you refer to ? Glamour or something else ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

OP What confusion build do you refer to ? Glamour or something else ?

He says his build is based off of kylia’s, which is a glamour build. He also says that he starts by dropping two glamours and summoning clones. So, glamour build.

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: bretk.6019

bretk.6019

I actually do what Mister Mustard suggested and switch my traits/utils for this. Now if I could just do something about the gd thieves who jump me in the middle of the battle….I had a pretty difficult time last night with one in particular.

(GLOB) – FA

in Mesmer

samski.5194

Made this quickly OP….

Hope it helps, Open with Feedback and dont drop your second glamour field until the blind from the first one has taken effect.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Make sure you take feedback. Start with bursting confusion onto the scouts, and drop chaos storm at the same time. This will do a lot of damage to them.

Remember that you can LoS their attacks. Kiting around with a staff and phase retreat produces clones that can usually take 2 shots from the scout before they break, which is 2 shots you don’t take.

Also, take a focus with you. If you have 20 points in inspiration, you can trait it and cycle wardens and temporal curtain for loads of reflects. Even if you can’t get that trait, the warden still blocks projectiles, and will whirl finisher in an ethereal field for more confusion stacks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

I run a stealth condition build (no Glamours) and I don’t find it too difficult to take camps solo. My preference is to engage all the mobs at once instead of drawing a few away: it’s faster and you don’t get problems with mobs resetting if you accidentally pull them too far. AoE Confusion (Cry of Frustration + Pain Inverter) is really effective even against mobs, and if things get too sticky just cloak and churn out a few more Illusions for the mobs to play with.

in Mesmer

Blueday.6953

Made this quickly OP….

Hope it helps, Open with Feedback and dont drop your second glamour field until the blind from the first one has taken effect.

omg awesome, thank you very much for this.

in Mesmer

Blueday.6953

Made this quickly OP….

Also I want to say that it’s pretty cool that we’re both asuran mesmers

in Mesmer

samski.5194

Made this quickly OP….

No worries mate Just out of curiosity why not respec to a more efficient roaming/solo build then respec back to glamour when your in mass PvP ?

Thats what I do, I have my standard trait spec then when im in a guild group or GvG I swap to glamour as its only ~3s to respec

in Mesmer

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

you need shatter with a tw

in Mesmer

Blueday.6953

Made this quickly OP….

No worries mate Just out of curiosity why not respec to a more efficient roaming/solo build then respec back to glamour when your in mass PvP ?

Thats what I do, I have my standard trait spec then when im in a guild group or GvG I swap to glamour as its only ~3s to respec

Mostly because I’m a newb and I don’t know what I would respec to.

in Mesmer

samski.5194

Ah right no worries, I will try record a camp flip tomorrow with my prefered spec and upload it to show you the difference. I will link the spec too so you can check it out if you like, it uses almost identical gear as glamour.

in Mesmer

Blueday.6953

Ah right no worries, I will try record a camp flip tomorrow with my prefered spec and upload it to show you the difference. I will link the spec too so you can check it out if you like, it uses almost identical gear as glamour.

That would be awesome, thank you very much.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

Blue, let me know if you want to see another video and I’ll put one together of me doing a camp solo

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I don’t see how hard can it be. As long as you have the dodge make clone trait that + the shield chaos storm gives taking camp should be pretty easy. When you get in trouble stealth. One trick I use is to pull everything to the scouts. Use line of sight to move scouts toward you. Drop a chaos storm on the cluster. Then dodge make clones none stop and watch them all die.

in Mesmer

Blueday.6953

Blue, let me know if you want to see another video and I’ll put one together of me doing a camp solo

Would love to see another video by you. ^^

in Mesmer

samski.5194

That would be awesome, thank you very much.

Here you go mate, little diferent as its been upgraded a bit.

I don’t see how hard can it be. As long as you have the dodge make clone trait that + the shield chaos storm gives taking camp should be pretty easy. When you get in trouble stealth. One trick I use is to pull everything to the scouts. Use line of sight to move scouts toward you. Drop a chaos storm on the cluster. Then dodge make clones none stop and watch them all die.

Standard Glamour builds don’t have the clone on dodge trait and stealth no longer resets NPC agro.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Standard Glamour builds don’t have the clone on dodge trait and stealth no longer resets NPC agro.

IMO Confusing Enchantments needs to be merged into Dazzling Glamours, so it would become “Glamours inflict Blind at their location and when enemies enter or exit their area”. That way Glamour Mesmers can use Deceptive Evasion. Besides, each trait alone is a bit lackluster, together they make more sense…