Some clarification regarding clone behaviour?

in Mesmer

Posted by: spadders.8792

spadders.8792

Q:

I only PvE, and spend most big fights trying to maintain three Duelists for crits and bleeding.

I’m sure I read that clones would never replace phantasms, but I’ve noticed the clones produced by Mirror Blade and, more annoyingly Ether Clone, will overwrite phantasms.

It doesn’t seem to apply to all clones though… Mirror Images for example. Is there a simple rule I’ve missed regarding when they will/will not overwrite Phantasms?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wise.8025

Wise.8025

No. You create illusions based on the 3 available illusion slots you have. Once the slots are occupied by either a clone or a phantasm if you should create more you destroy the 1st one that was made to make room for the next one, while bumping the others to the front of the line for replacement.

If you don’t want to replace your phantasms, then don’t. It is exceedingly easy to keep up 3 phantasms without replacing them with a clone. If you feel you need a stun break, then use one that doesn’t create a clone on use. The power is in your finger tips.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Scizzor.8137

Scizzor.8137

No. You create illusions based on the 3 available illusion slots you have. Once the slots are occupied by either a clone or a phantasm if you should create more you destroy the 1st one that was made to make room for the next one, while bumping the others to the front of the line for replacement.

If you don’t want to replace your phantasms, then don’t. It is exceedingly easy to keep up 3 phantasms without replacing them with a clone. If you feel you need a stun break, then use one that doesn’t create a clone on use. The power is in your finger tips.

While what you say is mostly true, there are skills that are very useful but create clones. i.e Mirror Blade. Very short recharge (esp. with greatsword trait) and excellent dmg if you can get the bounce to hit target more than once… but it will create a clone and that is not always wanted.

in Mesmer

Posted by: spadders.8792

spadders.8792

Thanks, I am aware I can avoid using those abilities if I don’t want to.

I’ve tested and it’s not as simple as you describe, though.

It seem like clones will always replace other clones rather than phantasms if possible (i.e. if one exists). So you can maintain two phantasms and swap-out clones, but with three phantasms up the oldest will be overwritten.

It’s a shame as it does make several abilities useless for phantasm builds. Arguably the scepter since its auto-attack is a hindrance, which only leaves the sword or manually casting Ether Bolt and waiting for Ether Clone to time out.

Granted, with three phantasms up that’s a lot of DPS, so the loss of Mirror Blade may be a fair price.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheRamosOnline.2670

TheRamosOnline.2670

It’s a bug. Phantasms are NOT meant to be replaced by clones, however the trait that spawns clones when you dodge roll did remove phantasms. So it seems the bug has gotten worse.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shimdroid.2765

Shimdroid.2765

As long as I know, if you have at least 1 clone out it will always be replaced by another clone. If you have 3 phantasms out, the least recent will get overwritten by your clone.
This might be changed with the last patch, so I can’t guarantee 100%.

in Mesmer

Posted by: yvesbeaumont.3291

yvesbeaumont.3291

As long as I know, if you have at least 1 clone out it will always be replaced by another clone. If you have 3 phantasms out, the least recent will get overwritten by your clone.
This might be changed with the last patch, so I can’t guarantee 100%.

^^^ this is what happens.

in Mesmer

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

It’s a bug. Phantasms are NOT meant to be replaced by clones, however the trait that spawns clones when you dodge roll did remove phantasms. So it seems the bug has gotten worse.

they replace phantasms if you already have 3 out.

working as intended, not a bug.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

It always worked that way. If you generate a clone and you have 2 phantasms and one clone, the new clone replaces the old one. If you have three phantasms and generate a clone, it has to replace something so one of your phantasms die.

Maybe it’s a bug but I doubt it. It’s always worked that way. There has to be some way to handle illusion generation with the cap of three, and the way it’s working is consistent with the idea that you generally prefer a phantasm, but still allowing you to summon clones if you wish.

in Mesmer

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

ok once an for all, illusions work in a FIFO system, with priority for clones

1.- if you have 3 phantasms out and you summon another phantasm it will replace the oldest

2.- if you have 3 phantasms out and you summon a clone it will replace the oldest

3.- if you have 2 phantasms and 1 clone out and you summon a phantasm it will replace the clone

4.- if you have 2 phantasms and a clone and you summon a clone, it will replace the clone

5.- if you have 2 or more clones out and you summon a phantasm it will replace a clone, and will continue to do so untill you have no more clones, then refer to N°1

in Mesmer

Posted by: Snoxx.7943

Snoxx.7943

Just stop using clone abilities once you have 3 phantasms out.

If a situation forces you to use a clone ability (e.g. you need to use “Decoy”) simply recast the phantasm right after it. The cooldown should be ready anyway and the new phantasm will overwrite the clone.

Problems only occur when:
- using the trait for clones on dodge roll.
- using scepter autoattack where a clone will spawn every 2 seconds.