Some information on mesmer needed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kai Ich.9174

Kai Ich.9174

So I’ve recently started playing and while I know from previous MMO experiences to take MMO class forums with a grain of salt (a big kitten grain) I just really have alot of trouble in choosing class, I tought I would go with guardian for sure, cause it seemed like a class that would fit my playstyle and looked good overall on paper, but after trying it I find it pretty dull and I hear it only really has one viable build for PvP (which is what I am mostly after) and that is support/tank, anyway I also tried thief and found it rather boring aswell and rather squishy if caught, I hear necro is kitten mostly, Never liked warrior, elementalist seems rather dull standart mage aswell and I hear sucks big time at PvE so I am really left with few options and thinking about mesmer now, as it seems to have a pretty high skill ceiling and pretty interesting gameplay/spells overall.

Anyway, TL:DR – 1. How is Mesmer at PvE, no QQ please, just a simple question – will I be gimping my dungeon group hard just because I am a mesmer?
2. What role is mesmer best at in PvE? (dps, control, support etc)
3. How is mesmer at PvP compared to other classes? and what builds are viable?
4. I hear it’s hard to level a mesmer, how hard on a scale of 1 to kittening annoying.
5. How fun is it actually to play a mesmer at max level, on a scale of 1 to insanely fun.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dess.4391

Dess.4391

Seems that you look into to many QQ threads….. I cant tell if guardians have only 1 viable build for pvp or not but usually good players can find a lot of build that works. Also i wouldt say elems are the “dull standart mage” and the definately dont suck. Ive seen dagger/dagger elems take hits better than warriors and guardians. And necros also can be quite powerfull, ok, the shine at condition dmg, but probably youll find some other effective builds there.

As for your questions…..
1- No, you wont be gimping your dungeon group, mesmers have some great utilitys such as reflection skills (those can hurt A LOT), condition removals and the allways awesome portal and timewrap.
2- Yes, err all. Even when mesmers tend to have to do more things in order to achieve those things we can do all. You could heal with mantras on almost no cooldowns (not my fav by far) or protect ppl from proyectiles with your reflects or clones. Yeah, stand behind a clone and no proyectile will hit you. You have lots of CC skills and we also have a lot of survival thx to our skills. In fact its one of the few classes that can go full glass cannon and still be the last to die otr the only alive. Just find your playstyle, we can do all.
3-Mesmers are annoying compared to others in pvp. Theres plenty of builds here, i would try Seven Mirror or Ozi Shattercat build for starters, theres also an inmortal mesmer and a buffer mesmer wich relys on boon duration a lot, all seem quite nice.
4-Yeah, it is kinda hard at first, mesmers start slow. Our core mechanic is the ilusions and at the first lvls you cant mass produce them. Once you hit lvl 15 you can cast ilusions 20% faster, also at start youll consider getting more ilusions utilitys to get them out faster. Once you hit lvl 40 with Deceptive Evation (clone on dodge) the mesmer becomes a clone factory. After that it only gets better and better
5-On a scale from 1 to insanely fun?? For me its even more fun! I cant stand playing other classes for log after i played my mesmer. Its a really fast, dinamic and very reactive class. Its quite common that ppl dont know what you are doing cos we move from place to place a lot. Lol in fact sometimes i dont know what i am doing, i got confused a couple of times and didnt know who my char was between the clones :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

Dess answered your questions really well! That’s a good response to trust.

Just to add a little bit on the leveling note, Mesmer has a steep learning curve. Managing your army of clones and knowing when to shatter takes a bit of practice. We get a lot of “Get Out Of Jail Free” skills, but with a misstep or two, we also go down fast.

But keep at it. I find my Mesmer insanely fun. You won’t gimp your dungeon groups, and in PvP/WvW, we have a lot of great utility. Learning how to portal bomb changes entire battles. (I’ve heard a lot of controversy over the future of the portal skill, though, so we might see it changed/added to other classes soon.)

Happy Cloning!

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: shedim.8504

shedim.8504

The issue with guardians is indeed the lack of vaiety in their builds, since most decent talents are either packed in one tree, or simply in the “wrong” tree. Or still bugged. Therefore guardians only have one viable build that’s centered around Altuistic Healing and that’s usually a terrible sign.

I’m thinking about either making a necro or mesmer, too. Can’t wait to read your feedback.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chipmunko.5870

Chipmunko.5870

Hi
at first i wanna wish u gl in gw2

about mesmer
1. mesmer PvE is nice .. np at all .. in dung we have tools which every pt love : )
timewarp, feedback, null field, portal .. also we are able to offtank with illusions or ress allies during combat just let ur phantasmas do their work

2. mesmer role is about ur gear and build but we can fill any ..

dps yes and what is even better mesmer defence is more active so even as glasscannon we can have nice survability

support sure .. above mentioned fields u can also use signet of inspiration with arcane thievery to steal and share boons from bosses .. chaos storm give aoe aegis or inspiration 15 phantasnams give regen around them ..

control .. well this is prob harder to make still viable ( but definetly less good than staff ele ) so chaos storm is aoze daze ( and chill uf ur lucky ).. u can also use illusion 12 trait for another aoe daze .. u can use domination 5 for cripple and focus 4

3. well im more WvW and PvE player … so cant say

4. lvling is pain at start … at 15 becomes lil less pain .. and from 40 simple .. also dont forget soloing champs ( illusions tanking is just great )

5. eeeeee .. sry i think ur scale is 2 small for mesmer :P … its even more fun

hope it was at last lil helpfull : )))

cheers Xixsa