[Suggestion] A Better Condi Mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Q:

I want to open this topic for anyone like me who wants to play a condi mesmer. A real condi mesmer. One that is on par with Engie, Necro, Ele, Warrior, etc. And not just in PvP, but in PvE as well. Right now PvP condi mesmer isn’t half bad, but it relies heavily on PU which many want nerfed. Then how good will it be? And PU doesn’t really apply to PvE unless you are just skipping trash.

I’m sure a lot of my suggestions will upset some of you, especially mesmers who know more than I do. I’m not the best mesmer, but I daresay condi is pretty crap in PvE even after the revamp. I’m sick of running the same old power builds, and I like racking up big DoTs. So I’m asking anyone who maybe knows better for their input on this as well.

My ideas:

• Restore MtD to 2 stacks. Consider putting it where Bountiful Disillusionment currently is, so that you must chose between PU and MtD. Not sure where to put BD in this case… Certainly not where MtD is. It will require some musical trait chairs.

Currently if I pop 6 clones (weapons, DE, mirror images, and decoy) and blow all 4 shatters in melee range, I can get 10 stacks of torment which tick for 1670 at 1375 condi damage (rabid amulet + nightmare rune). If MtD were 2 stacks, this would be up to 20 stacks which would presumably tick for twice as much (3340). Add in about 600 for confusion (no skill proc) and 500 for bleeding and you break somewhere around 4k condition damage. I really don’t see why this was so quickly nerfed while Ele gets to reach up to 25 burning for 19k ticks. I’ve heard Engie ain’t far behind. 4k is a drop in the bucket next to the DPS in PvE. As for PvP, lets be real. 4k condition damage is a lot, but so is a 10-15k shatter bomb, which requires the same settup, and is just as easy to dodge or block or prevent all together with cleave and aoe.

• Remove the daze on Chaos Storm. Increase the condi duration. Add vulnerability, burning, and/or bleed as a possible proc.

My reason for changing staff skills is to make it a more effective condi weapon in PvE while avoiding the problems it causes in PvP. People take PB and CS and use the daze to abuse interrupt damage, when clearly this weapon is geared more towards condi, or at least seems like it was meant to. I think we can all agree mesmer has plenty of other interrupt skills. Make staff more effective at applying front-loaded condi, instead of by passively auto attacking with 3 clones for 10 minutes; clones which die too easily in PvE anyway. Chaos Storm could be the skill that helps front-load condis, something the mesmer is a bit lacking.

• Increase Chaotic Damping recharge from 2% to 3 or 4%. Reduce the base duration of protection from this trait to 1 or 2 seconds.

I’m surprised the protection part of the trait was left alone. You can get upwards of 20 seconds with it which seems very overpowered when taken with PU. I think culling it would help justify bringing back the faster cooldowns, which would help the condi application from previous suggestions.

• Bring back Confusing Combatants in some form.

I assume Anet removed this because confusion on every crit was far too strong in PvP. Not sure why an ICD wasn’t used. My idea for this trait is for only illusions to apply confusion on crit.

Well there’s my ideas. I don’t mean to blow up the meta or anything. I just want to play condi without relying on PU, and without being terrible in PvE. Thoughts?

Edit: Oops I didn’t mean to make it a question topic, and I’m not sure how to fix that…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Disagree on staff’s daze. The daze on staff is an important option that lockdown mesmers more than often choose staff for. PU, however, should just be straight nerfed down to less stealth duration, no need to move MtD out of illusions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

The value you mentioned for torment and confusion are the base only right? In PvP, players attack permanently and move permanently, this is the reason why these are strong conditions in this context (and why people hate us). It’s also why confusing combatant was removed: they already mentioned they wanted confusion as a burst and not continuous application. I would have liked confusion on phantasms, a bit like sharper image but with confusion… This would have helped PvE without destroying PvP since phantasms do not last very long anyway.

Daze on Chaos Storm: just no! Mesmer is made so that basically all weapon sets have some interrupt, and I rely a lot on the staff interrupt when I play condi. On the other hand, I agree with some more condi duration on staff. We are the only class who didn’t get a buff to burning to make up for the stacking in intensity… So basically we got nerfed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The value you mentioned for torment and confusion are the base only right? In PvP, players attack permanently and move permanently, this is the reason why these are strong conditions in this context (and why people hate us). It’s also why confusing combatant was removed: they already mentioned they wanted confusion as a burst and not continuous application. I would have liked confusion on phantasms, a bit like sharper image but with confusion… This would have helped PvE without destroying PvP since phantasms do not last very long anyway.

Daze on Chaos Storm: just no! Mesmer is made so that basically all weapon sets have some interrupt, and I rely a lot on the staff interrupt when I play condi. On the other hand, I agree with some more condi duration on staff. We are the only class who didn’t get a buff to burning to make up for the stacking in intensity… So basically we got nerfed.

No, the value I listed for torment was used on the running golem. That’s the higher damage… I realize I could have used Signet of Domination and corruption stacks to bump it up a little, but I needed 2 slots for clone generation, and the 3rd slot for Signet of Midnight to raise the pitiful condi duration.

As for the staff daze… Yeah I figured people would hate that Idea because they are currently just loving that Power Block proc with Confounding Suggestions. Everyone hates a nerf, but I figured there were plenty of other interrupts that lockdown would be fine. People are already complaining that lockdown is too strong. Not sure if that’s true, but the point is I feel staff should be better at condi than it currently is. It’s far too slow for PvE condi, which is more what I’m concerned with. I don’t want to ruin PvP, but mesmer needs more condi burst and/or sustain to break even with other classes in PvE.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

The staff daze is not only for interrupts build, it’s also very useful in PvP in general, to save a teammate, to secure stomps, to just save your skin at a critical moment. Plus it works in a very chaotic way, fitting well with the staff idea. But even for PvP I don’t think the condition duration would hurt. I feel that the staff is a good defensive weapon and good for clone generation, but its own damage is close to 0… Adding some extra seconds of burning won’t break it!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Appleheart.7891

Appleheart.7891

I’d love to see a trait, or even just a default change, to just buff staff auto for more and stronger condis.

A bit of a boring change, but it would help.