Suggestion: Pace arrow in the Mesmer portal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Devata, I have no idea what wonderland you’re living in, but hop into the game and actually use the skill. What you’re saying simply doesn’t occur. Yeah, you can use another skill to keep track of the cooldown, but saying that’s a reasonable way to do it is 12 types of ludicrous.

All I say is that it works for me. Don’t say it’s reasonable.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zord.6457

Zord.6457

Devata, I have no idea what wonderland you’re living in, but hop into the game and actually use the skill. What you’re saying simply doesn’t occur. Yeah, you can use another skill to keep track of the cooldown, but saying that’s a reasonable way to do it is 12 types of ludicrous.

This… I’m reading what Devata says and feel like I’m tripping

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I don’t need an arrow. What I would like however is that the skill makes use of the red out-of-range indicators and that the entry portal has a timer telling me how long I still have before I have to drop my exit portal.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

There is no need for a range indicator or direction arrow. Both essentially already exist.

Portal is map range. Therefore if your mini map is zoomed to maximum detail, you will always be in range of your portal if it is on the mini map and not at the edge.

You can set a personal waypoint when you lay down the first part. This will give a range and direction indication.

Mesmerising Girl

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Adding a timer buff is simple, but having a range or direction indicator is much more difficult due to how the skill is implemented. Portal is managed heavily through code rather than script due to its unique functionality so adding something like this would likely require changing some of the underling structure of the skill.

Well then please don’t touch the skill. The last time you wanted to give us QoL it was with the warden being able to move, wich left him bugged and not attacking for almost 6 months :P

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Adding a timer buff is simple, but having a range or direction indicator is much more difficult due to how the skill is implemented. Portal is managed heavily through code rather than script due to its unique functionality so adding something like this would likely require changing some of the underling structure of the skill.

Well then please don’t touch the skill. The last time you wanted to give us QoL it was with the warden being able to move, wich left him bugged and not attacking for almost 6 months :P

Don’t worry, Robert Gee wasn’t on mesmer then. That was the handiwork of …someone else.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sharkey.9805

Sharkey.9805

Nah, they’ve done a lot of QoL things in the interim. A lot of which were totally awesome and fantastic! Illusionary Persona and Elasticity made baseline were pretty sweet, all of our range traits made baseline was awesome, and mimic which has gone from decent to kitten to outrageously cool… lets not be so jaded as to forget the wonderful toys we’ve gotten in the past couple of months.

But there’s still plenty of work to do, right? Dunno about you, but I think that not having to rely on the map being a specific size and shape to get a rough idea of positioning and range, and an indicator that’s only visible to you and your party, would be an excellent update for everyone’s favorite mesmer utility.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Freedan.1769

Freedan.1769

I agree with Fay in regards to the usability of portal. In general, I just feel the skill has no range indications at all for when its out of range. I don’t need to know where the portal drops me; even trolling with it is acceptable to a certain extent. What kills me is when I drop it out of range. I don’t get why the skill can’t simply be disabled out of range with a message indicator, because if the code is checking if its within X range(which we know it is) then just have a popup message like when an enemy is failed to be selected that says we can’t use it at that range. Ultimately we only need 1 real QoL improvement to portal, and that is how its out of range feature works. Fix that, and we have a skill with no real complaints. No one should complain about buffing portal this way either; its not an actual advantage we are asking for like the mesmer with 6 clones myth…..

in Mesmer

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

There is no need for a range indicator or direction arrow. Both essentially already exist.

Portal is map range. Therefore if your mini map is zoomed to maximum detail, you will always be in range of your portal if it is on the mini map and not at the edge.

You can set a personal waypoint when you lay down the first part. This will give a range and direction indication.

So how does this help people using the portal, to know where it sends them to?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

While I appreciate the suggestion, this kind of thing isn’t scriptable. Unfortunately I can’t explain the exact mechanical reason since it could reveal sensitive information about our internal systems.

I know this totally is not-my-problem-material, but you do know that when open sourcing the code would be a security risk then the code is already a security risk to begin with, right?

(just got to worry about that exact thing at work today )

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

Could you at least make it appear on the minimap for your whole team? It would be great to have in soloq. People wouldn’t have to take it to see where it leads but see on the minimap straight away. Put like a P where its opened and a P where its placed or create some cool portal icon to put there.

Pineapples rule

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

While I appreciate the suggestion, this kind of thing isn’t scriptable. Unfortunately I can’t explain the exact mechanical reason since it could reveal sensitive information about our internal systems.

I know this totally is not-my-problem-material, but you do know that when open sourcing the code would be a security risk then the code is already a security risk to begin with, right?

(just got to worry about that exact thing at work today )

There’s a difference between ‘security risk’ and simply proprietary information. The exact structure of their code is proprietary information, and they don’t want to release it for 2 reasons:

1. Their code base controls how the game is created, and could allow for potential hacks to be formed or for competing games to use.
  2. By all indicators, their code base is an absolute nightmare and they want to avoid embarrassing anyone that had a role in creating it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

Likely it has to do with how it ignores other hurdles sucha s when you cannot blink past terrain or objects. It’s just readily different even at a glance so… I understand why there might be limitations.