Swapping out weapons -- biggest mesmer gripe

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

Title kind of sums this up, but I’m wondering if this at least warrants a discussion. Because having to constantly go into the menus to swap weapons is just really, really annoying.

Like almost everyone else here, I run staff and sword/x, where x is constantly changing btw focus, pistol, and sword (and sometimes torch). Moreover, in certain situations the staff gets swapped for the GS as well.

From my experience with alts (Guard, thief, engi), I find that this is fairly unique to the mesmer — though please do correct me if I’m wrong. But I guess I just can’t believe that anet intended for this annoying mechanic of constantly switching out weapons from inventory to be a required playstyle. Otherwise they would have made doing so much more simple.

Anyway, just wondering what others think. I still find mesmer the most enjoyable class to play, but I’m constantly frustrated with have to swap out my weapons, especially in WvW where the focus is almost required for traveling the map but is not that useful in 1v1 or 1v2 fights.

in Mesmer

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

I know the feeling, dude.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Karril Daltaya.4980

Karril Daltaya.4980

Someday, I hope we get a way to get swiftness without giving up our offhand or our sockets

Tarnished Coast since Beta, now Banished forever to the Megaservers…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I constantly switch out my weapons on my Ranger. I play axe/axe and greatsword, but I often switch to warhorn for the swiftness when traveling (or the fury going into a fight), the longbow I use when I’m defending gates (because of the increased range compared to axes), or torch when running through dark places in fractals or puzzles.

I never switch weapons on my Mesmer, using scepter/focus and staff. These weapons simply gives me everything I need in terms of swiftness, range, and AoE, which usually are the reasons for switching weapons.

I do switch other skills all the time, though, on all my characters. For instance, when traveling with my Guardian, I switch to “Retreat!” for the extra swiftness. Or when attacking a gate in WvW, I switch to Tome of Courage to heal allies on rams. When I play Thief, and we are moving golems in WvW, I switch to Shadow Refuge and Smoke Screen for the AoE stealth. On my Mesmer, I switch out Portal, Veil, Time Warp, Mass Invisibility, or Feedback, all the time. When playing dungeons with my Ranger, I constantly switch between different pets, and elite skills. And so on..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

in Mesmer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The mesmer is the only class i rarely swap weapons out. Warrior, guard and necro im constantly changing for different situations (Necro not so much but more than the mesmer). You should be doing it with every class, its a sign of a more experienced player. The same goes for swapping utilities.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i think almost any class has the same issue with an exception…

Elementalist has not only to change weapon (being locked in a single range often) but also armor and trinkets

As a mesmer i mostly change only OH weapon ._.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

spoj.9672

Its more irritating having to constantly swap between guardian staff and scepter + offhand than just swapping 1 offhand for another offhand. Screws up inventory order or w/e. Or with warrior swapping warhorn back to offhand mace, double click makes you equip it in mainhand. :<

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

That’s one thing I miss about my Engi. Never had to swap weapons often (if ever) and even if I needed 1 of everything (2 pistols) I didn’t have to carry much.

With Mesmer I feel like I need to keep 1 of everything in the bag because they’re all useful and situations change (as do my temperment & mood).

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I’m with you but for a different reason. I hate swapping so I just stick to using a focus. It would be great to have a utility speed boost so I can try other offhand weapons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

I’m with you but for a different reason. I hate swapping so I just stick to using a focus. It would be great to have a utility speed boost so I can try other offhand weapons.

Honestly, this is really the subtext of my initial post, and pretty much just reaffirms the need for some other source of swiftness, which is so crucial in WvW. (And like Crossplay, I’m often forced to 1vX w focus when I get caught without time to weapon swap.)

Or just make it easy to swap out weapons w/o going into menus.

(edited by Bunda.2691)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

I’d like to see key-bindable weapon sets that we can switch through when out of combat, so we don’t have to keep on going into our menus. It would be nice to have this in PvE at least.

Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

Like there was in GW1, yes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

In PvE, I swap my weapons, traits, and utilities continually depending on what content I’m facing. This is a good thing. Mesmers are one of (possibly only?) the only class that with the proper traiting can have an absolutely massive range of utility, support, and damage options simply by changing a few major traits, weapons, and utils. You can range from strong aoe healer to enhanced condition removal/reflects (glamours) to REALLY enhanced reflects (focus) to stronger phantasms, to high boon removal, boon stealing/sharing, high single target damage, and/or group vigor.

All of these can be accomplished with just a simple weapon/trait/util swap capable of occurring while out in the field or dungeon. No other class can do this, mesmers are completely unique in this capability, and this is part of what makes our class so unique and special.

in Mesmer

serialkicker.5274

The mesmer is the only class i rarely swap weapons out. Warrior, guard and necro im constantly changing for different situations (Necro not so much but more than the mesmer). You should be doing it with every class, its a sign of a more experienced player. The same goes for swapping utilities.

It’s not about the need to swap weapons, it’s the annoying process of doing it. You have to first lose agro, which sometimes takes too long for no reason and then you have to open the panel and look for weapons and uquip it… and that can get you killed or you are left behind if you’re not quick to do it.
We should simply have for example F5, F6, F7 and f8 available for weapon sets, so we can just press for example F7 in combat to switch to whatever weapon you have set in that slot.

in Mesmer

spoj.9672

It’s not about the need to swap weapons, it’s the annoying process of doing it. You have to first lose agro, which sometimes takes too long for no reason and then you have to open the panel and look for weapons and uquip it… and that can get you killed or you are left behind if you’re not quick to do it.
We should simply have for example F5, F6, F7 and f8 available for weapon sets, so we can just press for example F7 in combat to switch to whatever weapon you have set in that slot.

Out of combat*.

If we could swap to any weapon set with keybindings in combat, then we are essentially getting infinite weaponsets (We already have 2 unless playing ele or engi, dont need more). Which is broken. It is a nuisance to swap things out at times. But there are bigger issues the devs should be focusing on. Swapping while out of combat I would be fine with. You could have other armour sets as saved loudouts aswell. This was discussed in the last SotG but the devs plan to only include it in pvp atm. Which is a shame as it would be much more useful in pve even if there are more problems with implementing it there.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I constantly switch out offhands and staff vs Greatsword. Mostly because sometimes the bounce on staff is more harmful than a direct beam (can aggro other things) also the push is good too. I use sword/sword when I’m feeling tough and tanky. I switch to focus as well because the traited warden + temporal (and pull) is very good. Then switch to torch when I need stealth (like through mobs in CM and portal bombs). I only use pistol when I want to be a full berserker shatter mesmerized. I stopped switching to sceptre because I find little use for it

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Mesmer

serialkicker.5274

Out of combat*.

If we could swap to any weapon set with keybindings in combat, then we are essentially getting infinite weaponsets (We already have 2 unless playing ele or engi, dont need more). Which is broken. It is a nuisance to swap things out at times. But there are bigger issues the devs should be focusing on. Swapping while out of combat I would be fine with. You could have other armour sets as saved loudouts aswell. This was discussed in the last SotG but the devs plan to only include it in pvp atm. Which is a shame as it would be much more useful in pve even if there are more problems with implementing it there.

So, what exactly would be wrong with “unlimited weapons sets”? Besides it wouldn’t be unlimited, but 4 different weapon sets (in my case i mention F5-F8).
What’s wrong with that. Everything would be the same as now, only we would have four instead of two different weapons sets ready for us to switch between in combat.
It’s not like it would give anyone any advantage (PvE), it would only removed frustration of bringing up your hero panel all the time to drag weapons here and there.

in Mesmer

Kasama.8941

You make it sound a lot more complicated then it is. First of all, you should know what weapons you need before going into a situation. Trying to switch a weapon mid combat, is a bad idea. Plan on using the weapon you switch to, throughout the whole fight. You shouldn’t have to “look” for the weapon you need, either. Just place your spare weapons at the bottom of your inventory, and they will always be there. Then use your Hero panel instead of your inventory, when you need to switch a weapon. Double clicking will switch weapons automatically, to the weapon set you currently have equipped. And using hot-keys will make opening and closing your Hero panel a lot quicker.

“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

This wouldn’t be such much of a problem if the logic behind switching wasn’t so inherently stupid. I.e. when I’m swapping between gs and staff or focus and pistol, it’s not that bad. But switching from focus to sword, GW2 always replaces the mainhand sword with the other sword instead of switching the offhand weapon so you actually have to open the hero panel and drag it. Unless I missed a better way of doing this...

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Kasama.8941

This wouldn’t be such much of a problem if the logic behind switching wasn’t so inherently stupid. I.e. when I’m swapping between gs and staff or focus and pistol, it’s not that bad. But switching from focus to sword, GW2 always replaces the mainhand sword with the other sword instead of switching the offhand weapon so you actually have to open the hero panel and drag it. Unless I missed a better way of doing this…

No, that is the only way. However, if you have a few things in your inventory, and keep your weapons at the bottom of your inventory, then you won’t have to drag the weapon that long. But if you just need to quickly switch in the focus for casting Temporal Curtain, then switch it with your two-handed weapon instead.

-Alexander Pope

in Mesmer

spoj.9672

Out of combat*.

So, what exactly would be wrong with “unlimited weapons sets”? Besides it wouldn’t be unlimited, but 4 different weapon sets (in my case i mention F5-F8).
What’s wrong with that. Everything would be the same as now, only we would have four instead of two different weapons sets ready for us to switch between in combat.
It’s not like it would give anyone any advantage (PvE), it would only removed frustration of bringing up your hero panel all the time to drag weapons here and there.

It would be totally unfair and ricidulous to balance in pvp and wvw. Not to mention it increase the utility classes superiority over every other class even further, such as mesmer and guardian. Can you imagine an ele with all their weapon combo’s being available? They’d be ridiculously op in pvp and pve. Besides I dont want to be given the option to use everything at all times, it would start to feel more like wow which would be kitten.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Mesmer

serialkicker.5274

You make it sound a lot more complicated then it is. First of all, you should know what weapons you need before going into a situation. Trying to switch a weapon mid combat, is a bad idea. Plan on using the weapon you switch to, throughout the whole fight. You shouldn’t have to “look” for the weapon you need, either. Just place your spare weapons at the bottom of your inventory, and they will always be there. Then use your Hero panel instead of your inventory, when you need to switch a weapon. Double clicking will switch weapons automatically, to the weapon set you currently have equipped. And using hot-keys will make opening and closing your Hero panel a lot quicker.

And you make it sound less complicated then it is. Of course i’m not trying to change weapon sets mid combat. I’m talking after combat. Especially in dungeons this is the case. I’ll give you one example, not the best, but this one came on my mind first.

Cof p1, you’re waiting by the totem for your pal to destroy the gate controller. When he’s done you start running ahead to rich final boss. Most of the time you won’t lose aggro until you hide around the corner in “boss room”, even if you didn’t touch or being touched by any mob from the totem to the “hiding” place, while all that distance you have to “run” (more like fast walk), because you have aggro. I want to switch to my focus for swiftness there.
Now, i know this can be avoided by having focus equipped before doing all this, but that’s not the point here. All i’m saying is having more then two available weapons sets at disposal to switch wouldn’t hurt anyone or anything in any way. Would just make play more fluid and fun.

in Mesmer

spoj.9672

This wouldn’t be such much of a problem if the logic behind switching wasn’t so inherently stupid. I.e. when I’m swapping between gs and staff or focus and pistol, it’s not that bad. But switching from focus to sword, GW2 always replaces the mainhand sword with the other sword instead of switching the offhand weapon so you actually have to open the hero panel and drag it. Unless I missed a better way of doing this…

No, that is the only way. However, if you have a few things in your inventory, and keep your weapons at the bottom of your inventory, then you won’t have to drag the weapon that long. But if you just need to quickly switch in the focus for casting Temporal Curtain, then switch it with your two-handed weapon instead.

You can right click and select equip in offhand. Still a bit annoying though.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silas Drake.8946

Silas Drake.8946

I think the most annoying thing is getting caught in combat. In wvw there are plenty of mobs running around and sometimes as a Mesmer if I roll or do something stupid it puts me in combat with the wrong set of weapons. Sometimes happened with ambushes too. I just start apologizing in TS since my friends and I mostly roam in small numbers every person, every skill is very important. This is not only a Mesmer problem as many have already pointed out. Wish we had some other way to maintain swiftness which is by my opinion the true “out of combat speed”.

I do carry every weapon avalible and switch very often. I just wish I could focus on what weapons I need for the engagement and less about fiddling with getting there.

Phorfiet - HoD O|O

in Mesmer

serialkicker.5274

Out of combat*.

It would be totally unfair and ricidulous to balance in pvp and wvw. Not to mention it increase the utility classes superiority over every other class even further, such as mesmer and guardian. Can you imagine an ele with all their weapon combo’s being available? They’d be ridiculously op in pvp and pve. Besides I dont want to be given the option to use everything at all times, it would start to feel more like wow which would be kitten.

I said in PvE. They should really seperate PvE from PvP and WvWvW, because they will never balance classes and skills this way.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

You can right click and select equip in offhand. Still a bit annoying though.

First time I heard that, gotta try that out later. Thanks for the tip.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Hello my fellow Mesmers!!! I have come to give you some help with your needs!!!

We here in Guild Wars 2 have something fancy! Called useful and inventory accessible “Weapon Bundles” =D

Swiftness? Whaaat? No! You must get 250 hyliek poison and make a permanent spot in your inventory! Swiftness on the go without taking up a weapon slot and also gives a relatively spam able poison drop =D

As for weapon swapping… Personally I enjoy sword/sword GS often switching out to an alternate off hand weapon mostly for variety. And focus for certain dungeons.

But really you should be able to run with any weapon set and just enjoy, don’t let a little thing like slight world mobility ruin your weapon set up.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

I only ever swap weapons when i go to wvw from pve or vice versa. In pve i swap staff to greatsword… And ehen i go wvw i swap back. Sometimes i swap focus for sword depending on my mood, all i takes is a right and left click. Doesnt bother me that much :p.

especially in WvW where the focus is almost required for traveling the map but is not that useful in 1v1 or 1v2 fights.

The focus is my favourite offhand for group fights. I only use pistol or sword for single targets and pve bosses.
In my signature is a link with some videos using the focus if youre interested.

Cheers,
Alissah

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.