Sword/pistol and Dual Swords.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carakangaran.3561

Carakangaran.3561

Hey guys,

I’m having the time of my life with my mesmer (why did I even roll a thief in the first place ?) but there’s something that bothers me a little.

I like the duellist feeling the mesmer got and I was wondering if using a sword/pistol + sword/sword combo could be useful ?

Using the Empowered Illusion, it gives access to the duellist, the swordsman and 2 stuns (counter blade and magic bullet).

Any thoughts on the matter ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Euphoria.2960

Euphoria.2960

The only issue with having sword as your main in both hands is that you miss out on other things that could be useful.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mayama.1854

Mayama.1854

I run sword/sword + scepter/pistol specced as a hybrid with mixed defense and offense. Its imo the best 1v1 build in the game.

in Mesmer

Carakangaran.3561

I’m not really fond of the scepter (i’m the kind of guy who plays with a character concept in mind -I guess 8 years on CoX had some consequences). I find the #2 sword attack pretty powerful as it is, even though the 8 sec cooldown seems to prevent me from using it as much as i’d like to.

I guess i’ll stick to greatsword as a secondary weapon.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shinya.8014

Shinya.8014

The only reason you roll scepter is cuz it can create a massive amount of clones (that you can shatter). Otherwise you’ll have to be traited to tanky conditioner if you wish to roll scepter.

What bothers me with sword is that you gotta have like Grandmaster in Inspiration to make it through the day xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: FrozenDream.1590

FrozenDream.1590

i highly recommend u a ranged weapon, wheter its for pve or pvp. u will need it
also u will miss out three new mainhand skills

plz note, that if its a pretty long discussion i may not have read every post,
therefore im sorry if i just posted some outdated stuff
also maybe a similar thread exists already, in that case im sorry for double post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Erch.8502

Erch.8502

I’d personally like to see another 1-handed ranged weapon for the mesmer. Scepter has its place, but it’s in a tank/condition/shatter build. Currently, I don’t think there’s really a proper main hand for power/precision phantasm builds. Sure, most people are running with sword, but we’re mostly using it for blurred frenzy as a defense and otherwise it’s really just a placeholder to the pistol OH.

I can’t help but feel that it’s odd pairing a MH sword that requires melee, with our ranged-phantasm OH and a swap to a weapon that has a mechanic that makes you want to stay at maximum range. I get that mesmers don’t really have “weapon roles” and we’re meant to constantly swap our weapons, but the combination of sword/GS really forces us to play a weird short-mid game that seems counter-intuitive to the GS.

I know going back to even the first BWE, Mesmers were asking for a main hand pistol. I don’t exactly agree with that one, because I think we’d need to define the role that needs to be filled before we talk about the weapon that should do it. Which is to say:

TL;DR: I think Mesmers could use a ranged (mid-short) Main Hand that compliments Power/Precision, the pistol OH, and the GS.

in Mesmer

Carakangaran.3561

I’d like to see another weapon that will emphasize the duellist feeling of the class. Pistol in main hand would be nice -i’d love the look of my mesmer with dual pistols.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Marxo.3829

Marxo.3829

Sword is a lot of fun however in PvP it’s really only good if someone wants to fight you in melee due to the fact that blurred frenzy won’t let you move while using it. The 1 sec snare on the leap clone is not enough to keep someone who wants to kite you from getting away.

Thus as been said, keep a ranged weapon on switch.
Off hand sword isn’t bad, people underestimate the block and the additional damage it does. Sadly OH sword has one of the worst phantasms, thus people tend to stick with the pistol.

I’d use the OH sword more if it meshed well with the dueling line, ie. maybe a triple hit (with same overall damage) to trigger the dueling line’s bleeds trait.

Yeah there was an enormous amount of of people rallying for a mainhand pistol for mesmer – I think it’s justified. But Anet had said at the time they are not really working on making new weapons for classes just yet.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Erch.8502

Erch.8502

Yeah there was an enormous amount of of people rallying for a mainhand pistol for mesmer – I think it’s justified. But Anet had said at the time they are not really working on making new weapons for classes just yet.

Well, the reason I’m personally against the pistol is because I think it lacks imagination and the fun they could have with mesmers. Like, why not give us a main hand torch that shoots purple fireballs? Or a main hand dagger that we use as a “pistol” version of the Greatsword?

I’d be more okay with the main hand pistol idea if it wasn’t a typical “pew pew” main hand gun. I think A-net doesn’t want to give glass-cannon Mesmers an excuse to always sit at max range, so giving it only a medium range attack or the inverse mechanic to the Greatsword’s range damage thing would be ideal. If they do give us something, I just hope they put it on duelist discipline (range + cooldown for pistol) as well and make that a REALLY good trait.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

The 1 sec snare on the leap clone is not enough to keep someone who wants to kite you from getting away.

Uh, the cripple + immob generally guarantees 3 of the 4 BF hits landing. Fourth strike no, and the third one is a little sketchy if you’re a little laggy / slow.

Like, why not give us a main hand torch that shoots purple fireballs?

Now that sounds cool. Except the purple fireballs should apply Chill.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Carakangaran.3561

Well, the reason I’m personally against the pistol is because I think it lacks imagination and the fun they could have with mesmers. Like, why not give us a main hand torch that shoots purple fireballs? Or a main hand dagger that we use as a “pistol” version of the Greatsword?

I’d be more okay with the main hand pistol idea if it wasn’t a typical “pew pew” main hand gun. I think A-net doesn’t want to give glass-cannon Mesmers an excuse to always sit at max range, so giving it only a medium range attack or the inverse mechanic to the Greatsword’s range damage thing would be ideal. If they do give us something, I just hope they put it on duelist discipline (range + cooldown for pistol) as well and make that a REALLY good trait.

When i’m looking at my mesmer, I feel like it’s more of a fencer than anything else. A rapier seems more in line with the design than a torch -just my 2 cents.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Marxo.3829

Marxo.3829

The 1 sec snare on the leap clone is not enough to keep someone who wants to kite you from getting away.

Uh, the cripple + immob generally guarantees 3 of the 4 BF hits landing. Fourth strike no, and the third one is a little sketchy if you’re a little laggy / slow.

Like, why not give us a main hand torch that shoots purple fireballs?

Now that sounds cool. Except the purple fireballs should apply Chill.

Nonsense for a few reasons: illusionary leap’s range is far shorter than most ranged weapons, if you need to use leap you will use a good portion of your 1 second. And all of this is assuming illusionary leap is even on cool down in sync with blurred frenzy.

Don’t get me wrong, I carry sword as my regular weapon in conjunction with a ranged switch. It’s a great deterrent and dps against those who think getting in melee range of a mesmer means squishy clothy. But using it against a kiter is rubbish.

As for mainhand pistol, it would certainly have a role of ranged main hander for people who are specced for direct damage rather than condition – something the scepter does not accommodate well. I wouldn’t fear that they would give a mesmer the standard pistol type skills, I’m sure anet would give it the appropriate twist just like the rest of our weapons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

the only issue i have with having a melee weapon at all is the number of mobs and encounters where beign in melee range is just a bad idea.

i wish mesmers could have three weapons in combat. i would love gs/staff/sword+pistol and sword+focus. wait, that’s 4 weapons.