Sword/pistol = worthless?

in Mesmer

Posted by: mathras.2450

mathras.2450

Rolled a mesmer today. I’ve played one before (greatsword/staff) and it took a bit of getting used to.

However, I wanted to go sword/pistol from the start on this one. I’ve never actually seen a class/weapon set so bad at early levels. The number 3 skill seems bugged – doesn’t always fire. The number 2 skill doesn’t last long enough, the number 1 is okay, 4 does decent damage, 5 does basically no damage, okay CC and a huge cooldown.

My question is this: should I persevere? Is it possible to create a decent mesmer using sword/pistol? I know mesmer takes a while to get going, but I really only want to use this weapon set (as primary). If it’s not going to work out, I’ll roll an engi instead.

Would like to hear from anyone who’s made this weapon combo work, especially in WvW.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i would add that even if the i-warden from focus deals more damage (aoe even) and block or reflect projectiles according to your spec, the i-duelist is excellent for single target and it’s range, while the i-warden he just forget to move to its target and do it’s damage. i swap to pistol very often when i know i’ll face a single mob like a boss in a dungeon who doesn’t fire projectiles

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

The leap need some practice and some fixes. #2 is not that short if you think you evade and you burst at the same time. Duelist is an amazing phantasm, lot of bleeding with sharper images and lot of confusion stacks or whatever if traited and used in combo with fields. Magic bullet is a strong CC but in pve i find it lackluster.
Its a good skillset, go on and enjoy it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MoJoe.9063

MoJoe.9063

I just rolled a mesmer the other day, so I’m still trying out weapons. Yesterday was sword/pistol day and I was enjoying it, although sword 3 seems kind of buggy/unreliable. I am a bit hesitant about using a melee weapon on so squishy a class, but I figure mesmers should have enough ways to avoid damage to make it doable.

Borlis Pass
Azman – Asura Necromancer, Kemena – Human Guardian
Emracool – Sylvari Elementalist, Lyra Lightbender – Sylvari Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Yes, keep at it. The pistol takes a little getting use to. The magic bullet skill is a great daze run away skill, but can aggro other enemies (it hits up to 3.

Usually I would do sword 3, sword 3, sword 2, pistol 5 (magic bullet, I may have the wrong number), pistol 4 (phantom duelist) and then run away.

Or pistol 4, sword 3, sword 3, sword 2, pistol 5, run away.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I started with Sw/Sw…then moved to Sw/F (much happier)…then on to Sw/P (even happier).

Pistol #4 hits a single target hard. The pistol has increased my survivability even while leveling with the #5 shot. I use it when overwhelmed by multiple foes, shoot it at 3 targets and escape. Sword 2 works best after an autoattack chain, having stacked some vulnerability. I iLeap, swap, autoattack, burst, escape. If set up with some clones ahead of time, that’s a good time to shatter.

Remember that the 2nd part of iLeap is a root, so if you’re having trouble landing your whole flurry, use that. Even from point blank.

As was mentioned above, sw/p is a power/prec weapon set.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Mesmer

Posted by: mathras.2450

mathras.2450

Currently, I’ve died more times with this mesmer at level 7 than I did with my thief from 1-80…

I think I’ll roll an engineer instead.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SuperSpicyCurry.2415

SuperSpicyCurry.2415

Mesmer’s sword/pistol is one of the best weapon sets in the game for PvE, PvP, and WvW o.O Mesmers are just awful until you can get your traits, try again at like lvl 40 or 80

in Mesmer

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Currently, I’ve died more times with this mesmer at level 7 than I did with my thief from 1-80…

I think I’ll roll an engineer instead.

Don’t give up on them so easy. Mesmer takes some getting use to and it’s fairly weak at low levels but they are very powerful and fun class once your traits start to come together.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

level up with ranged weapons and go for DE as your first master trait

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.