The Mesmer problem - Defensive Cooldowns + Heavy Damage. One needs to go.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ManCaptain.3154

ManCaptain.3154

Outsiders looking in often see the Mesmer as a difficult-to-play class with a lot of options, but this ends up being untrue.

Or, when you get even more proficient with the Mesmer class, you start seeing more of the options that are actually there.

Off the top of my head, viable builds include:

- Mantra 30/30 burst
- Shatter power
- Shatter hybrid
- Shatter support
- Clone spam/expire Staff
- Phantasm army
- Bunker army
- Glamour star
- Power no SI general (Phantasm/shatter/direct)

There’s probably more that don’t come to mind. Probably several support builds, since I don’t really do support.

Most of that are strictly inferior to simply going
Staff or GS and sword/pistol going for phantasm damage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ManCaptain.3154

ManCaptain.3154

Problem with Mesmers, they have all the best utilities from multiple classes on shorter cool downs and in better forms.

Feedback > Wall of Reflection
Blink > Lightning Flash
Decoy > Thief Stealths
Arcane Thievery > Plague Signet + Corrupt Boon
Null Field > Well of Power/Corruption/Purging Flames
Temporal Curtain > Binding Blade
Time Warp > All Quickness (it’s elite yea i guess)
Chaos Armor > All other forms of Protection (Can be used twice, Phase Retreat into Chaos Storm)

Seeing the trend here? Their damage and mobility aside (which is heaps better than most), they pack all the good stuff on much much lower cool downs, and they get all of it to pick from.

You must be trolling.

Like Blink is the best teleport in the game… what about shadow step and Infiltrator Strike/shadow return. Oh you conveniently forgot about them and listed the only teleport in the game that’s worse.

Decoy being better than thief stealth…. hard to say anything about some claim that’s this absurd.

Plague signet alone is just as good as arcane thievery. It keeps your team mates clean.
And Corrupt boon is completely equal to Arcane Thievery if opponent uses boons but doesn’t apply conditions, and if the opponent applies conditions too, it does more than half of what Arcane Thievery does (Corrupt Boon, removes boons from enemy, inflicts conditions on enemy but doesn’t remove conditions on self – you have consume conditions anyways), at half the recharge. And arcane thievery has a limit of 4 conditions/boons on top of that. There’s no way in hell it’s better than those skills. You are intentionally lying. How many people run Arcane Thievery in spvp? 10%? Yeah clearly it’s awesome.

Null field is of the same power as well of corruption. But slightly different functionality.

Your comparison of Binding Blade and Temporal Curtain prompts question again, if you’re simply trolling or just clueless. Binding Blade deals damage, and it pulls in a circle to a central point, and at this central point it just happens that there’s a guy with a weapon with incredibly powerful point blank aoe attack, which also isn’t that limited in aoe range. And the people are neatly bunched up so they all can be hit by pretty much any aoe in the game (like Lava Font, necro Marks). And by your words this is inferior to a pull that does no damage, that pulls enemies into a scattered line so they are hard to be all hit by a single normal sized aoe, on a class that is almost devoid of AoE to take advantage of that. Stop the trolling.

Chaos armor I can’t even compare with anything since nobody has anything directly comparable. But the elementalist has extremely powerful defensive auras too, of comparable power if not even greater. Shocing Aura, Frost Aura.

Sorry, did you say Necromancers fill the role of high sustained damage? This may have been the intended design, but it certainly is not the case currently

This is completely my point. Mesmers are THE condition class to play. Necromancers are inherintly tankier, but their defensive cooldowns aren’t nearly as useful. Also good luck to any Necromancer doing anywhere near the damage a Mesmer can pump out.

Did…. did you just call the worst or the second worst condition damage class in the game to be the best one?

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

I didn’t mean build options. I mean that in each of these builds, there tends to be one or two mechanics that you rely on while the rest are rendered near-useless.

You’re being narrow-minded in your perception of the Mesmer class. The only build which really suppresses other mechanics is a 100% phantasm army build, and that’s only if you play the build poorly or if your opponents are terribad.

Any shatter build will be using phantasm DPS. Any power build will be using phantasm DPS.

Any phantasm build should be using shatters for utility at a minimum (daze/invuln).

Mantra builds still use phantasm DPS in a very big way. Most mantra builds can also rely on Mind Wrack a great deal.

If there is an awesome build out there that uses everything, then let me know I’m wrong, but I’ve yet to see one.

There is no awesome build, only awesome players.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zetta.5102

Zetta.5102

Did…. did you just call the worst or the second worst condition damage class in the game to be the best one?

Having a Phantasm that does increasingly more damage per condition on the target (and it already does a sizable amount without a condition) and having easy access to Confusion hardly renders Mesmers as the worst condition class. Overall, most condition classes are in a bad spot if they use condition builds, but Mesmer circumvents a lot of the issues other condition builds have via Illusions and Confusion.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

iWarlock is irrelevant to condition damage. It scales based on # of conditions only. iWarlock arguably scales a bit based on condition duration, but definitely not cdmg.

And when people say “condition build”, they really mean condition damage ~_~.

I agree that Mesmer is not last though. Confusion is pretty potent.

TBH Guardians are the worst condition damage class. They have exactly 1 damaging condition, and few ways to enhance it.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Clamlapper.5461

Clamlapper.5461

just 1v1 a mesmer in wvw and got completely rofl stomped to dust 24k hp gone in 3 seconds wtf damage is rediculous
how are you supposed to counter that unless building extremely tanky
playing as a conditionmancer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Damage in GW2 is so much stronger than tank/heals, the only way to survive is to dodge or otherwise negate a lot of it.

Minionmancers have an additional weakness with Moa dismissing their minions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

just 1v1 a mesmer in wvw and got completely rofl stomped to dust 24k hp gone in 3 seconds wtf damage is rediculous
how are you supposed to counter that unless building extremely tanky
playing as a conditionmancer

only 24k? did you forget to death shroud or something?