The Prestige

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Q:

I was running TA and Fractals last night and was making use of The Prestige combo finisher for AoE chaos armor. The thing I was noticing was that, quite often it wouldn’t proc. I did it a lot, and noticed the effects go through plenty, but there were plenty of times when it didn’t. Enough to make me come here and ask, has anyone else noticed any inconsistency with The Prestige’s blast finisher?

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Digs.8435

Digs.8435

A:

If you drop a field directly on yourself before the end it will blast. Lay a field down and then walk into before the end = no blast. Or if you can manage to start the prestige in a field and remain there until the it finishes you’ll get the blast. Current functionality is horrible. Torch used to be my off-hand of choice.

Digs Digs Digs – Mesmer

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

Well, it only does the blast at the end when it does the burning thing which makes it kinda hard to time. I wish it was blast at the start and finish the way it used to be but if I could only have one I’d rather it do the blast finisher when you go invisible at the start because it would be so much easier to time.

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

I believe it checks to proc the finisher at the beginning and end of the skill. So you may need to be in a field when you start the skill and then again 3s later when the burn procs. Note this does not need to be the same field.

Kind of a pain. I noticed it when they removed the blast finisher from the skill’s activation, but have not tested it thoroughly. Seems like yet another bugged mesmer skill. Not a phantasm skill this time!

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Yeah, when they removed the double blast finisher, Anet seriously screwed up the skill’s functionality.

The problem is that with most long channeling combo finishers (i.e. churning earth) the combo is “stored” at the start of the skill, and released when the channel finishes. With the prestige, for some reason, it does 2 checks, one at the start, and one at the end. If you aren’t in a combo field both at the start of the duration AND the end, you will get no finisher.

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

I noticed this as well. It seems that you need to stand inside a field roughly 1+sec before the blast happens or it won’t combo. Hope this will be fixed soon.

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

Yeah rather stupid imo. The skill is great other than that though. Now we just need to have iMage increase his attack speed and the Torch will be amazing.

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

I’m not sure my experience lines up with some of what has been said. For example, since I main offhand torch, I can drop into prestige at the end of all my skills going onto cooldown, swap to staff, and drop a chaos storm. I assume this takes longer than one second to do (3 seconds means plenty of time to pull it off no troubles), at which point the AoE chaos armor procs. Just, for whatever reason, seemingly not all the time…

So yes, others are having problem with the blast finisher proccing, but the reasons why, and when, are still obscure.

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

i havent used it much since the buff; but didnt it use to ‘save’ a blast finisher (like churning earth – where you can use it on a field; the field disappears whilst channeling; the the effect still appears at the end of the channel)?

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

i havent used it much since the buff; but didnt it use to ‘save’ a blast finisher (like churning earth – where you can use it on a field; the field disappears whilst channeling; the the effect still appears at the end of the channel)?

It used to work that way because it was channeled. Chanelled skills “inherit” a finisher on cast and then apply it at the end of the channel duration.

It doesn’t work that way any more because they removed the channel. Non-chanelled abilities only check for a field and apply a finisher at the end (for another Elementalist example since you used Churning Earth, it now works like Eruption, which is non-chanelled but delayed and requires the field to be active at the end).

Its technically “worse” as far as the finisher alone is concerned, but I’ll still take the new functionality over the old any day. Being able to attack out of stealth and still get the burn / damage at the end is much more better than just being able to draw in the finisher at the start. You can always work around having the finisher at the end by throwing down the field during the invisibilty.

They do need to fix the combo field popup, though. Its still giving you a the “Chaos Armor” (or whatever) at the start of the ability, which it shouldn’t be any more. It should only pop up at the end if you’re in a combo field when the skill finishes.

The Prestige

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

If you drop a field directly on yourself before the end it will blast. Lay a field down and then walk into before the end = no blast. Or if you can manage to start the prestige in a field and remain there until the it finishes you’ll get the blast. Current functionality is horrible. Torch used to be my off-hand of choice.

Ok, this went a long way to answering the question. Though I disagree with that second to last sentence. :p