The answer to Mesmer class inferiority in PvE

in Mesmer

Posted by: Luka.6831

Luka.6831

The Mesmer is a PvP class, like in Gw1. At least I couldnt find a better explanation. The Mesmer is good in dungeons because of its condition applying speed and crowd control, but in casual PvE it has arguably the slowest killing speed and overall progression. I just hope after balancing it in PvP, they can move on to fixing traits for good. And eventually with expansions and new skills perhaps the Mesmer will become better in PvE, like in Gw1. Peace

i5-2500K, P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3, Win7 Enterprise x64;
Gigabyte GTX 560ti OC, 1920×1080 Dell 2312HM;
WD Caviar Black 500GB, Kingston V+200 60GB SSD;

in Mesmer

Posted by: dfscott.1740

dfscott.1740

I think you’re probably right. I played a mesmer from day one in GW1, and struggled for a long time. However, they eventually buffed us (although I was sad when the heros became so much better at interrupting than us humans). I’m going to bide my time with my mes and hope for the best.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

The Mesmer WAS a PvP class until 2009/2010 update, where they got the AoE Wastrel’s Worry, improved Panic, and basically weapons of mass destruction.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Luka.6831

Luka.6831

I think you’re probably right. I played a mesmer from day one in GW1, and struggled for a long time. However, they eventually buffed us (although I was sad when the heros became so much better at interrupting than us humans). I’m going to bide my time with my mes and hope for the best.

I dunno but Mesmer class mechanic is to me clearly more standardized for PvP, mainly because most of the time it affects a single target.
Firstly Shatters. They’ve said four is the limit for the number of buttons a class’ mechanic can have. In our case you have four very clear and direct skills – damage, Confusion, interrupt, block (Confusion which doesnt work well in PvE anyway). Yes some Shatters are AoE but all have a single target initially.
Secondly, Clones affect a single target. All Phantasms except two affect a single target. Also, most of the time both die after 1 hit. So as the number of targets you’re normally engaging increases, casual PvE will become more ankward (because you must simulate AoE with single target attack patterns) and the overall progression more difficult.

Also worth noting is that we’ve lost Hexes and Interrupts from Gw1. Interrupts exist only in very few skills, most of the time you wont be able to interrupt someone’s action. Hexes on the other hand have been replaced with more focus on conditions, like they said in one of the early Mesmer interviews. PS It could also be considered, as noted many times on these boards, that Phantasms represent single target Hexes or DoT skills.

The Mesmer WAS a PvP class until 2009/2010 update, where they got the AoE Wastrel’s Worry, improved Panic, and basically weapons of mass destruction.

Likely history will repeat itself in some form, this time I just dont want to wait 3 or 4 years

i5-2500K, P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3, Win7 Enterprise x64;
Gigabyte GTX 560ti OC, 1920×1080 Dell 2312HM;
WD Caviar Black 500GB, Kingston V+200 60GB SSD;

(edited by Luka.6831)