Thief - Body Shot immobilize

in Mesmer

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I was using my P/D thief main in WvW this weekend and noticed I’m having a much easier time against mesmers. I’m attributing it to the immobilize/vulnerability on the tweaked Body Shot (pistol #2). It seems to me that laying 2 conditions on top of my bleed stack, with one being immobilize, is fairly lethal.

Are you guys seeing this from your side of the matchup?

The only rough time I had of it in a 1v1 involved the mesmer popping a very hilariously timed Mirror. Most of the time, the Body Shot spam (1.75 sec immob) got people to tear through their condition clears, and that was that.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Aneirin Cadwall.9126

It’s a lovely time playing a profession that doesn’t have to worry about cooldowns.

Men who achieve some power desire more until they destroy themselves trying to get it.—Turai Ossa
Sanctum of Rall since beta 3. Mesmer since 1070 AE

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

@OP:
I play a P/P thief and nice to see someone like me welcome the new change to Body Shot. Lots of whining about it in the Thief forum.

From a mesmer point of view, we are already lacking good condition removal and now Immob. stacks in duration and Thief can spam it… Go figure xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

P/D thieves can be a bit tough to handle for builds that don’t have reliable access to high output condition removal or good reflects. For builds with high output condition removal, I just shrug off the conditions as always, and for builds with good reflects, you kill yourself for me.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

I was using my P/D thief main in WvW this weekend and noticed I’m having a much easier time against mesmers. I’m attributing it to the immobilize/vulnerability on the tweaked Body Shot (pistol #2). It seems to me that laying 2 conditions on top of my bleed stack, with one being immobilize, is fairly lethal.

Are you guys seeing this from your side of the matchup?

The only rough time I had of it in a 1v1 involved the mesmer popping a very hilariously timed Mirror. Most of the time, the Body Shot spam (1.75 sec immob) got people to tear through their condition clears, and that was that.

Why are people bragging about P #2?

It requires 4 initiative per shot, and it lasts for 1 second. I am more than happy for you to blow through all of your int, because then you are dead.

I simply pop decoy if you are brazen enough to come at me while immobd, or staff 2 or blink away. I could blurred frenzy, or shatter my clones for a few seconds of invuln. Hell I could even arcane thievery it back to you lol.

I would LOVE for you to do this to me all day, because this only makes your death that much quicker.

Again, not really a game changer, it only hurts thieves who are stupid enough to go P mainhand.

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

in Mesmer

Posted by: themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

Agreed. Most realistic comment on this matter for me I think. Nice job Divinity.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

It doesn’t really do anything Entangle doesn’t already do, so it’s really not that big of a deal.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Depends on the mesmer I guess, and their build.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Phase Retreat doesnt remove it, so even though you teleport back you will still have it for its duration. Kind of annoying but we still have plenty of ways around it so it isnt that much of a problem.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Aneirin Cadwall.9126

It doesn’t really do anything Entangle doesn’t already do, so it’s really not that big of a deal.

…except that Entangle is an elite on a giant cooldown.

Men who achieve some power desire more until they destroy themselves trying to get it.—Turai Ossa
Sanctum of Rall since beta 3. Mesmer since 1070 AE

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Condition removal then dodge roll right after will remove it.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

@WyldKat: you seem to be a decent and humble thief.
I’ll give you a tip (if you don’t know it already ). And I hope this will at least how much people underestimate Body Shot.

On my P/P thief, you all know I use Body Shot to secure my Unload. But I would never ever spam Body Shot, and always use it with Basilisk Venom.

As far as I know, Mesmer has no stunbreaker with condi removal built-in, unless using traited Signet of Midnight in a Signet build and you probably won’t see much that build in WvW.

This means when you successfully hit with Body Shot, you force the mesmers to blow 2 utility skills (or 1 utility and another key weapon skill) to regain movement. And I think that is very impressive.

I always judge a thief based on their open-ups. The good ones are the ones I never see their open-up attacks coming because after all the whole thief class is designed to rely on surprise element to win.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Anuxdei.2175

Anuxdei.2175

Again, not really a game changer, it only hurts thieves who are stupid enough to go P mainhand.

whats your server bc your totally wrong and i wanna show you real p/d thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Honestly, as another person what runs a P/P Thief, I personally was hoping for some form of actual mobility added to that weapon-spread. Seriously, how stylish would it look to pull off some Gun-kata ingame?
As for Divinity, do you honestly think a Thief’s stupid for picking Pistol? That’s just funny. If anything, I have pure respect for a succesful Gun-thief. Hell, I know what they’ve got to pull off to secure wins.
Now, from the Mesmer perspective. Pistol Thieves, Bow Rangers, hell … any projectile freak’s why I tend to roll heavy on Reflects. Go on, shoot me.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

@WyldKat: you seem to be a decent and humble thief.
I’ll give you a tip (if you don’t know it already ). And I hope this will at least how much people underestimate Body Shot.

On my P/P thief, you all know I use Body Shot to secure my Unload. But I would never ever spam Body Shot, and always use it with Basilisk Venom.

As far as I know, Mesmer has no stunbreaker with condi removal built-in, unless using traited Signet of Midnight in a Signet build and you probably won’t see much that build in WvW.

This means when you successfully hit with Body Shot, you force the mesmers to blow 2 utility skills (or 1 utility and another key weapon skill) to regain movement. And I think that is very impressive.

I always judge a thief based on their open-ups. The good ones are the ones I never see their open-up attacks coming because after all the whole thief class is designed to rely on surprise element to win.

The thing about p/d though is that it doesn’t have any burst pressure. You aren’t forced to break that stun against a p/d. I’ll usually just let it run out on its own, then deal with the conditions on my own time.

Also, the mantra, disenchanter, and traited Mage will all remove conditions through a stun on you.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

@Pyro: I’m not trying to argue here. Just want to make an example of how the new Body Shot can be used to great effect, in my case, its a P/P build, the Unload skill can crit for >10k when the enemy is below 50% health.
Also, the stun+immob. combo is very powerful since its not easy to regain movement with a push of a button.
Mind you we have this combo with Chaotic Interruption too, it’s much more powerful but ofc harder to exectute compared to Thief’s version.

@Advent: yes, reflect is bad for P/x Thief. No doubt about it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

After spending alot of time in hotjoins and roaming, I’m not noticing more problems than usual at all :o. 1second of immobilise is fairly easy to deal with, even if that means just tanking it. Condition thieves cant do 9k backstabs anyway :P

@ Wyldkat I love your name :D

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

…except that Entangle is an elite on a giant cooldown.

When the zergs clash you only really have one shot at it. If you get stuck you die, if you get away you live and are very unlikely to be caught again any time soon. A thief who chases after you spamming body shot will likely die before you do, unless you take a wrong turn and lose the commander, in which case any auto attack can mow you down regardless.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

(edited by Heinel.6548)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

Honestly, as another person what runs a P/P Thief, I personally was hoping for some form of actual mobility added to that weapon-spread. Seriously, how stylish would it look to pull off some Gun-kata ingame?
As for Divinity, do you honestly think a Thief’s stupid for picking Pistol? That’s just funny. If anything, I have pure respect for a succesful Gun-thief. Hell, I know what they’ve got to pull off to secure wins.
Now, from the Mesmer perspective. Pistol Thieves, Bow Rangers, hell … any projectile freak’s why I tend to roll heavy on Reflects. Go on, shoot me.

I have respect for any thief that goes p/x, it is bold and for not for the faint of heart.

To be honest, the only viable thief builds are currently s/x and maybe d/p, although even this is fading out since it is quite gimmicky. Most high tier tpvp stopped running d/p, less Caed?

I will give props to p/x in tpvp, but in anything else, it doesn’t really matter (hotjoin/yoloq).

Also my friend, I want p/p to become viable so much! It is my favorite build. Who doesn’t love bursting down cloth/medium armor in a matter of seconds like WTF JUST HAPPENED?! Shame it only works in hotjoin/yoloq. But that doesn’t really count hehe

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

(edited by Divinity.8041)