Trait changes making me sad

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Wow, I just now looked at the trait changes being looked at for Mesmers, looks like they are neutering my Mantra build hardcore! Now you have to pick between clone dodge and 3 mantras. Why didn’t that make clone dodge baseline?

All my favorite builds on the professions I play are being gutted. Feels like a 1 step forward – 2 steps back change.

I’m a very sad panda.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Hmm I think that’s a bit unfair judgement of something you haven’t played yet. While yes, you do have to make that choice between Clone generation and HM, you’re getting a lot more points overall then before. Also, there is an alternate line for decent Clone generation, among a bunch of other awesome stuff, and of course baseline Mantra Mastery and Protected Mantras.

We’re also getting a whole dump-load of Quickness thrown at us, some of it “on demand” and that alone should make Mantras far more powerful/usable than before. (Not to mention that MP is getting some huge buffs. RM rolled into it, and AoE condie cleanse)

What was your build before, and how are you unable to create a similar build/playstyle in the new system?

in Mesmer

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Hmm I think that’s a bit unfair judgement of something you haven’t played yet. While yes, you do have to make that choice between Clone generation and HM, you’re getting a lot more points overall then before. Also, there is an alternate line for decent Clone generation, among a bunch of other awesome stuff, and of course baseline Mantra Mastery and Protected Mantras.

We’re also getting a whole dump-load of Quickness thrown at us, some of it “on demand” and that alone should make Mantras far more powerful/usable than before. (Not to mention that MP is getting some huge buffs. RM rolled into it, and AoE condie cleanse)

What was your build before, and how are you unable to create a similar build/playstyle in the new system?

It’s definately not meta. I’ve looked at a few things to sort of mimic what I play currently but there will be a noticeable damage decrease. I am looking forward to the quickness and chronomancer changes though.

Here’s the build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhIQNAR8cl0npEt1oxKNcrNSqxgqvIdCBMRp7o7CA-TlCEwAPVq0S9noKp8t/AhHAwWlgGuAAMVG0W3AgjAQAAEgbezsZbG4m38m38m3sMAmTA-w

I mostly just WvW btw. Zerg, small group(s), havoc.

in Mesmer

Posted by: baylock.1703

baylock.1703

I can’t imagine ur build to actually work correctly atlast take boon strip on shatters….

in Mesmer

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I can’t imagine ur build to actually work correctly atlast take boon strip on shatters….

It’s been working well so far. I’ll admit though, I’m very new to playing Mesmer out in WvW.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

Replace Mental Torment with Halting Strike. Now your Mantra of Distraction does something.
Replace Compounding Power with Mender’s Purity. Now you don’t get rolled by condition builds.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

in Mesmer

ASP.8093

As far as future stuff, here’s an example build that also tries to get big damage out of Greatsword autos (thanks to Danger Time critical rate):
http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgMBXAJkBrQ~

For what it’s worth, I feel your pain — I play a build with Halting Strike + Greatsword Training and Deceptive Evasion + Harmonious Mantras, which are both becoming exclusive now — but I think all the new swag is gonna open up a lot of new possibilities.

in Mesmer

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Replace Mental Torment with Halting Strike. Now your Mantra of Distraction does something.
Replace Compounding Power with Mender’s Purity. Now you don’t get rolled by condition builds.

As far as future stuff, here’s an example build that also tries to get big damage out of Greatsword autos (thanks to Danger Time critical rate):
http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgMBXAJkBrQ~

For what it’s worth, I feel your pain — I play a build with Halting Strike + Greatsword Training and Deceptive Evasion + Harmonious Mantras, which are both becoming exclusive now — but I think all the new swag is gonna open up a lot of new possibilities.

For some reason, it’s not pulling up for me correctly. It’s showing a blank template, starting with Elem traits.

I’ll change out Compounding Power. I wasn’t sure what to do with those final 2 trait points and just went for extra damage. I’ve been switching out the Mantra of Concentration for Mantra of Resolve when conditions are bad.

in Mesmer

ASP.8093

Try Mender’s Purity. It’s soooo much condi cleanse.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

Having to choose between mantras and DE is a bummer, I agree, as in WvW I tend to run x6x2x with HM. Really though, the stuff we are getting in exchange for losing the 3 charges are very good. Just one small example, have you seen the new Confounding Suggestions?

Do not be a sad panda.

Edit: Also yes, for god’s sake if you are taking HM take Mender’s with the heal mantra, you’re close to immune to conditions that way.

in Mesmer

ASP.8093

HM+Mender’s REPRESENT!

I play 6/6/0/2/0 interrupts and, occasionally, 0/6/0/2/6 MtD. So hooked on that combo.

No lies: HoT is gonna be bittersweet for me. But there are soooo many things to look forward to. Like new Power Block, Evasive Mirror, the Chrono line, built-in IP, and even new Mender’s Purity.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Obviously your first build is getting huge boosts to interrupt play, so many possibilities it’s hard to list them all.

The second build will also see huge boosts, but naturally will not stay the same. Personally, if you want sustain on an MtD build, I would go Chrono/Insp/Ill. Either go with Either Feast for MP, or see how MoR will work with only 2 charges, but you won’t really need that if you get Shattered Conditions and Restorative Illusions.

It’s a quite natural fit for a very high sustain MtD shatter build. Get MI to help with more Clone production, and in Chrono I would go for Time Catches Up, Illusionary Reversion for Clones, and Chronophantasms. (Or Quickness on Shatter if you go with Mantra of Recovery + MP, and also helps Scepter & Staff a lot.)

IMO this would be a pretty sick build. Lowest possible CD on shatters, every shatter heals, cures a condition, possibly provides Quickness, and applies up to 8 stacks of Torment (IP) + 4-8 stacks of Confusion. (Plus a 5th shatter, double-F2 spike, perma-speed, etc.)

Staff + Scp/Torch, free choice of armor Runes (yay!), 1200 range Blink, and Decoy. (Moa or Elite Well)

Just really quite sick if you think about it.

(edited by Windwalker.7421)

in Mesmer

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I’m still not convinced about these trait changes to Mantras. I tried playing without Empowering Mantras and I could definately tell the difference without it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Obviously your first build is getting huge boosts to interrupt play, so many possibilities it’s hard to list them all.

The second build will also see huge boosts, but naturally will not stay the same. Personally, if you want sustain on an MtD build, I would go Chrono/Insp/Ill. Either go with Either Feast for MP, or see how MoR will work with only 2 charges, but you won’t really need that if you get Shattered Conditions and Restorative Illusions.

It’s a quite natural fit for a very high sustain MtD shatter build. Get MI to help with more Clone production, and in Chrono I would go for Time Catches Up, Illusionary Reversion for Clones, and Chronophantasms. (Or Quickness on Shatter if you go with Mantra of Recovery + MP, and also helps Scepter & Staff a lot.)

IMO this would be a pretty sick build. Lowest possible CD on shatters, every shatter heals, cures a condition, possibly provides Quickness, and applies up to 8 stacks of Torment (IP) + 4-8 stacks of Confusion. (Plus a 5th shatter, double-F2 spike, perma-speed, etc.)

Staff + Scp/Torch, free choice of armor Runes (yay!), 1200 range Blink, and Decoy. (Moa or Elite Well)

Just really quite sick if you think about it.

And you also have the option to spec full Dire because of not having condition on crit traits, so that setup will be stupidly survivable – with the only downside of having less offensive pressure than other builds.

Runes aren’t a free choice in this case though – anything other than tormenting will be a waste. On the plus side though you’ve got free utility choices – no need for any condition removal skills thanks to SC, RI, MP, torch trait and stupidly high health pool.

Definitely one if the three mtd variants I’m looking forward to playing (the other two being duelling/illusions/chrono and duelling/inspiration/illusions).

(edited by Curunen.8729)