Twilight or Bolt?

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Weird, I still have to meet a mesmer without off hand.

Lol, you haven’t met my clones =)

On topic, I agree that bolt is both awesome as a skin (I have it and love it) and the sword is our best weapon. Minor problem is the noise. It doesn’t bother me but I know it bothers some people. If you go full condition, I could maybe understand not bringing the sword but after 1k hours on my mesmer, I feel naked if I don’t have at least 1 or 2 swords at all times.

@keenlam: Your logic is that you cant compare 2 weapons with 1 weapon. However, You can compare 5 skills with 3 weapon skills. The first thing invalidates the comparison, the second one does not. Im impressed.

Levitas, thanks for totally understood my point.
You simply just can’t compare these two weapons in any way. It’s like comparing apple to orange.

I was under the impression that he was “impressed” (sarcasm) with your logic since you clearly show that you are capable of comparing apples and oranges with the 5 skills out dps 3 skills logic.

Gs gives you 5 skills, that’s more than enough to outDps swords 3 skills. Especially when MH sword does not give you a phantasm. Sure you can argue that you can use an offhand, but thats 2 weapons against gs, which surely invalidates the comparison.

The comparison is of weapon sets/swaps. The GS is one swap/set that is 5 skills set in stone. The sword brings the versatility of sword/x and any sword mesmer will always have a phantasm with them. Apples and oranges would be sword main hand to feed back for utility. Weapon sets are apples to apples.

(edited by DuckDuckBOOM.4097)

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

^Yes you understood. If you say that GS outdps sword MH you compare the two weapons and this is meaningless, you never use sword without an off hand.
This is not a negative aspect but i see it more as an advantage.
It allows you to change something if you feel bored and well you will be after some cof farm. When im tired of those iWardens i take a break from focus and enjoy swordsman, duelist or whatever. If you can do it while still having the legendary you crafted i think its a good thing.

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I am guessing that by noob-stick you are meaning the Staff, well as you said the Staff shouldnt be considered, its very low damage and more of a defensive weapon. Try it against a GREATWORD user.

In PvP “the noob-stick” is the derogatory term for mesmer greatsword

why is that?

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

I’m interested in why they call the Greatsword the noob stick as well, especially since Supcutie (the highest rated Mesmer in pvp) uses it. And for that matter, I’m interested in who calls it that, since I’ve never heard of it before today.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not my favorite weapon in the world (I like it, there are just others I prefer more) but I don’t think it deserves that nickname.

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

GS is a fine weapon in skilled hands… anyone that says otherwise is simply not using their brain. The 1H sword is also an excellent weapon (again in skilled hands).

At 1200m the GS clearly out-DPSs the 1H sword (lol, it’s so silly I don’t know why I typed that in). At melee range the opposite is obviously true. This is more of a play style discussion, and not a “sword vs. GS” discussion.

As far as a ranged weapon goes, the mesmer GS is one of the best options in the game (if not the best).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

GS is a fine weapon in skilled hands… anyone that says otherwise is simply not using their brain. The 1H sword is also an excellent weapon (again in skilled hands).

At 1200m the GS clearly out-DPSs the 1H sword (lol, it’s so silly I don’t know why I typed that in). At melee range the opposite is obviously true. This is more of a play style discussion, and not a “sword vs. GS” discussion.

As far as a ranged weapon goes, the mesmer GS is one of the best options in the game (if not the best).

I agree. And this was generally the point of my original post saying that you can’t make a blanket statement about how one weapon is clearly superior to the others and should be in all your builds.

A build is not ‘sub optimal’ just because it doesn’t use a 1h sword, and trying to “prove” that it is by using straight DPS numbers in a vacuum is silly. You can believe whatever you like, and I certainly have no desire to (nor do I think I’d ever be able to) change your mind. That’s your playstyle and I’m glad it works for you.

Personally I find uses for every weapon in the right situation and can make them just as optimal as the 1h sword (exception being the torch, which as much as I want to like it is just weak except for the stealth).

Anyway, as for the topic, I highly recommend making the weapon you find yourself enjoying playing more. Nothing worse than making a Legendary and being forced to use a weapon you don’t enjoy! As a tie breaker, search Youtube for videos of both weapons so you can really see what you like more (animations, look, sound effects, etc).

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

About the nickname, I only read it in various threads on this forum.
I GUESS its because you can recognize newbie mesmers from the way they use the GS, more easily than other weapons. Other than that i dont see a reason to call it in this way, its lovely.
If you craft sunrise/twilight on a mesmer you do it because you really like the skin, the animations are poor and its a shame considered that we dont swing it.
No swing should mean more altered animation and we only have mirror blade, they could do something with mind stab, iWave or even spatial surge.
I bet they needed to save time for the focus.

(edited by Levitas.1953)

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

GS is called the noob stick because is seems that just about every noob mesmer player, especially during beta, runs around with it, and they tend to charge into close range while spamming spatial surge — then die.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

GS is called the noob stick because is seems that just about every noob mesmer player, especially during beta, runs around with it, and they tend to charge into close range while spamming spatial surge — then die.

I go in close, i use The Auto attack. I know what i am doing though you need to be close for the might boons, the Interrupts. Except i dont die, very often

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

If have to, i’d say Bolt – i was going for it then changed mind.

As other said, on my Mesmer there is one weapon that is ALWAYS there. And that’s Sword.

Scepter is just not viable compared to sword, aside some niche builds (imo. personal preference), so unless i’m using GS/Staff (which i never do) i’ll always have decked the Sword.

Second close the Staff – i like it much more than GS.

And that’s it – in theory there are the GSs, but i deeply dislike the look of Twilight and Sunrise. They’re just ugly.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Twilight or Bolt?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

I go in close, i use The Auto attack. I know what i am doing though you need to be close for the might boons, the Interrupts. Except i dont die, very often

Might boons and interrupts imply you use more than just Spatial Surge. Congrats! You are already better than those that earned the GS it’s nickname.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast