Up coming shatter nerf.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Hey guys I wanted to discuss shatter for a bit.

For those unaware, with the recent talk for balance it was stated they intended to buff spatial surge to pierce and hit up to 3 targets. It was also added the intention to tone shatter down to match the buff of spatial surge to make up for the consistent AoE.

Now I’m sure a lot of people would think shatter needs a nerf, but does it really? and does this buff to GS really call for it? For the most part I trust A-net to not screw this up. (Bugs aside since that seems to be a standard for mesmers every patch) but this opens up other problems/questions.

You nerf shatter for the sake of GS… Well what about staff users who don’t like GS?

What’s the point of going glass if we do even less damage than before? With the current build we are still greatly out done by thief’s and warriors for damage, with arguably less survivability, selfish portal aside. (since clones really only confuse low rank players, not very much invis, and more squishy than glass warrior)

I don’t mind AoE taking a back seat it’s understandable with the buff but how then do we stand on direct damage? Are we forced to just roll 3 button back point win -> phant (sorry guys gotta admit it is pretty cheese 1v1)

I really don’t think the nerf to shatter is called for.

Mindwrack already doesn’t hit for all that much, it’s already determined a lot by if they can even land it 4/4 which is already hard to do against anyone decently skilled, plus clones running to random targets. Ranging from 700ish no crit – 1500ish crit (sPvP heavy training dummies) why would you even reduce that? Cuz potential 6k crit? Hello RNG! pretty rare to get 4/4 crit at 50%ish crit in Zerker amulet + any precision rune set?
Unless you stack fury, which really do we reliably ever stack fury? OH YEAH! With winds of chaos which viability for stacking fury is debatable and isn’t even GS which the nerf is for…

Problem I’m having with this idea really is our single target damage! The skill is already weaker than most burst skills, understandable since it should be used as a spike. But then taking our already decent and easy to counter spike and then shaving off damage seems horrible. It already requires a set up of 3 clones for max damage, and is super predictable.

Nerf solution: IMHO I think shatter is fine as it is and should be left alone. But if something has to be nerfed, nerf the AoE. Leave it alone PvE God forbid we can actually tag mobs even if it is easier to get credit now. But make it up to 5 plus intended target PvP (since fights aren’t actually 5v5 if you count pets/clones/summons/weapons)

Am I totally wrong? Is shatter OP and needing of a nerf especially with upcoming patch? Agree? Disagree?

Productive comments and reasons why please.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

It’s terrible balance in that light. Nerfing the class mechanic that nearly every mesmer build uses to buff 2 weapons with situation line AoE is dumb. Furthermore, lining up targets will only be useful in certain situations in my opinion. They hopefully will stick that to s/tpvp and leave PvE/WvW out of it.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

The sheer frequency of shatters are what make them strong, but I don’t think they are really a huge problem anymore. There are other mechanics that need to be addressed more urgently than shatter cats. Signet of Illusions for example, as well as Blurred Frenzy. Illusions do not need 200% more health from a passive; this bug needs fixing. As for the latter, I don’t know what they were thinking putting an invuln that spammable on any profession; it should evade imo. In other news; torch still needs help, and scepter is too slow to be a reliable weapon anywhere but spvp.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Didn’t they fix the signet to 50% a few patches ago? I wouldn’t know I don’t play 3 button stick my fingers and go “lalalalala I can’t hear you” and win phant builds.

But although I do agree the power comes from the consistency I still think it’s stupid to shave off damage for the sake of balancing an AoE of a weapon people may or may not use. Clones die easy (I guess without illusion signet lol) and setting up 3 for max dmg in a team fight with decent aoes firing everywhere while timing it with a 12 second C/D is not nerf worthy. IMO

And I agree fix other things before you tamper with a “not a problem” class mechanic.

As for blurred frenzy. I’m sure that’s our compensation for being as squishy as a thief with significantly less stealth.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

If you’d actually watch the video (source), they mentioned it (shatter nerf) might possibly be an avenue they could consider looking into if GS beam AoE proved too powerful.

There has been no confirmation of a shatter nerf, don’t worry yourself.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

I think it’s a good idea. The aim of balancing is to improve build diversity. Right now, honestly, regardless how I build my mesmer, I’ll alays be subpar to others who are shatter-specced, always. I don’t claim I’m the best player and only build kills me, no.
But sometimes I get owned by player’s skill, others only because I’m not shatter spec (especially IP). I’ve played against friends/guildmates who admitted that as well “I would have lost if you were shatter-spec/if I was not shatter-spec”
Thus, lowering a bit this build and promoting under-used ones is exactly the way to go. GS is less played than staff by far … because of less viability of build/weapon.

Finally, just mind that shatter won’t be nerfed by this update, they will look at it closely after the update to see if it’s needed.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Well… As long as the GS phantasm still hits like a toddler throwing a marshmallow I don’t think they will see this update do much… I haven’t touched my GS since the last update because it crits for 900-1k and only lands one attack. This is with zerker amulets GS/Empowered Ill/Phantasmal Fury/Phantasmal Strength… The swordsmen still regularly hits for 6-7k and the duelist for 5k… So unless they actually fix the phantasm… A situational beam cleave is going to be useless on GS… Scepter is cool.. If the wind up wasn’t forever and a day.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Well… As long as the GS phantasm still hits like a toddler throwing a marshmallow I don’t think they will see this update do much… I haven’t touched my GS since the last update because it crits for 900-1k and only lands one attack. This is with zerker amulets GS/Empowered Ill/Phantasmal Fury/Phantasmal Strength… The swordsmen still regularly hits for 6-7k and the duelist for 5k… So unless they actually fix the phantasm… A situational beam cleave is going to be useless on GS… Scepter is cool.. If the wind up wasn’t forever and a day.

Hyperbole kills the credibility of what ever you say. Think a bit more before throwing such wild numbers for the sake of your argument looking good. Anyone who plays a mesmer will just shake their head.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

Hyperbole kills the credibility of what ever you say. Think a bit more before throwing such wild numbers for the sake of your argument looking good. Anyone who plays a mesmer will just shake their head.

Being serious… Every time I play and try to use the GS to see if maybe its fixed… I just shake my head and go back to something else… Trip sword combo was my favorite build on mes but with the lack of any form of damage from the GS phantasm… its kinda weak… There is a thread in the game bugs forum highlighting what I am talking about…And with the right build the Sword phantasm easily hits for that much. And the GS phantasm used to… Now… It misses 3 out of the 4 attacks its supposed to make… Here is a video showing my point.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

Didn’t they fix the signet to 50% a few patches ago? I wouldn’t know I don’t play 3 button stick my fingers and go “lalalalala I can’t hear you” and win phant builds.

But although I do agree the power comes from the consistency I still think it’s stupid to shave off damage for the sake of balancing an AoE of a weapon people may or may not use. Clones die easy (I guess without illusion signet lol) and setting up 3 for max dmg in a team fight with decent aoes firing everywhere while timing it with a 12 second C/D is not nerf worthy. IMO

And I agree fix other things before you tamper with a “not a problem” class mechanic.

As for blurred frenzy. I’m sure that’s our compensation for being as squishy as a thief with significantly less stealth.

Nope, they didn’t fix it, or if they did the bug is back again. I’m pretty sure this ele did about 15k damage to phantasmal defender earlier today, maybe more.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nemhy.5230

Nemhy.5230

It’s good that Arenanet is finally showing that they only want Mesmer to be good for Timewarp and portals.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Holo.5724

Holo.5724

They didn’t say shatter would be nerfed.

Everyone settle down.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

another dooms day panic attack.. wow. stop crying about things that have not happened. are people really this fragile ,, every professions forum has 2 or 3 doomsday posts on its front page. most are complete garbage and not based on any facts.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

zaxon.6819

and yes it is funny that the o kitten uggesting we nerf the aoe part of shatter to compensate for the direct damage nerf that is not even planned on happening. the whole thing parallels politics to me(because im old i guess) sequester/debt ceiling/etc,etc is going to cause so much damage (not really) we better raise taxes to save ourselves before its too late.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mister Mustard.7203

Mister Mustard.7203

If you’d actually watch the video (source), they mentioned it (shatter nerf) might possibly be an avenue they could consider looking into if GS beam AoE proved too powerful.

There has been no confirmation of a shatter nerf, don’t worry yourself.

Exactly!

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

is the 0.25sec CD on shatter finally be gone or they need another 6 months to ‘fix’ it?

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

zaxon.6819

the cd on shatter was intended so you couldnt shatter the same 3 clones with more then 1 shatter. not sure what you mean gone.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

zaxon.6819

hmm that video about the berzerker bug seems misleading because even when the izerker hits every time the damage is still reduced. the izerker does not miss the lions arch training dummies now or before patch but the damage is still reduced. i know the izerker cant crit on those dummies so it isnt a scaling with crit it is a base damage reduction. the missing in the video may be an added issue but not the damage reduction issue.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coldviper.6794

Coldviper.6794

If they nerf it too hard I’m not sure what build I’ll run. But they also mentioned buffing mantras which I’ve always wanted to try, so if they do I might give mantras a try.

[TW]Furion Zax – The Juggernaut Hammer Warrior

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Being serious… Every time I play and try to use the GS to see if maybe its fixed… I just shake my head and go back to something else… Trip sword combo was my favorite build on mes but with the lack of any form of damage from the GS phantasm… its kinda weak… There is a thread in the game bugs forum highlighting what I am talking about…And with the right build the Sword phantasm easily hits for that much. And the GS phantasm used to… Now… It misses 3 out of the 4 attacks its supposed to make… Here is a video showing my point.

Wouldn’t that be working as intended? GS whirlwind isn’t suppose to hit all targets every hit, it’s suppose to hit multiple times in a line depending where they are. It’s just like Warrior Whirlwind doing more damage to a target that is stationed against a wall or sometimes not hitting at all if the target starts next to them but is perpendicular to their new direction.

Up coming shatter nerf.

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

No not working as intended because pre patch it was hitting more and hitting harder… And they did not state it was abug then.. They acknowledge the current issue is a bug that they have no clue how to address which is annoying as all hell.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer